Author Topic: Romney Leading McCain in Maine Republican Presidential Caucus  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Romney Leading McCain in Maine Republican Presidential Caucus
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
Romney Leading McCain in Maine Republican Presidential Caucus

Feb. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is leading Arizona Senator John McCain and Texas Representative Ron Paul in the nonbinding Maine Republican presidential caucuses.

With about half the vote counted, Romney has 53 percent to 22 percent for McCain and 19 percent for Paul, according to the Associated Press. Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has 5 percent, AP said.

``The numbers right now are leaning toward Governor Romney,'' said Scott Kauffman, vice chair of Maine's Republican Party.

A win would give Romney a political boost heading into Super Tuesday on Feb. 5, when more than 20 states hold their contests.

No delegates are awarded by the Maine caucuses, which are in effect a preference poll of Maine voters. Voters today are picking participants in the party's state convention in May, where delegates to the national convention will be selected. The balloting today is nonbinding for the state's 21 delegates.

The only Republican candidate to spend time campaigning in Maine this year was Paul. Tagg Romney, one of Romney's sons, spent yesterday and today attending caucuses in Maine.

Link

not sure it matters very much . . . .

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Romney Leading McCain in Maine Republican Presidential Caucus
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »

The media loves McCain (they always do).  The phony-baloney polls are right up their alley.  McCain will get a rude awakening this Tuesday. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »
I hope so. I'm banking on everyone wanting "change". I hate that word but I think most people want some new blood in D.C.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
I hope so. I'm banking on everyone wanting "change". I hate that word but I think most people want some new blood in D.C.

"change" is a ridiculous and ultimately useless platform.  change to what, is the point.  unfortunately, it does work; witness bildo clinton in 1988.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »

The media loves McCain (they always do).  The phony-baloney polls are right up their alley.  McCain will get a rude awakening this Tuesday. 

I think mccain is going to be our nominee.  I'm certainly not thrilled about it, but I think it will be him.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »

I think mccain is going to be our nominee.  I'm certainly not thrilled about it, but I think it will be him.

Don't put any money on it. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »

"change" is a ridiculous and ultimately useless platform.  change to what, is the point.  unfortunately, it does work; witness bildo clinton in 1988.

You would think that the "New Direction" platform Pelosi, Reid and their merry band of misfits ran on in 06 would have proved that point by now...... :uhsure:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »

You would think that the "New Direction" platform Pelosi, Reid and their merry band of misfits ran on in 06 would have proved that point by now...... :uhsure:

and the thought that a total neophyte, The Barackstar!, could walk into washington dc and suddenly overcome 20 years of entrenched bureaucracy  is completely ludicrous.

he was a state legislator 3 years ago, for heaven's sake.  DC will eat him alive.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 09:04:09 PM »

I'll bet you $1.  take it, because I always lose. maybe that will make the difference. :-)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »

I'll bet you $1.  take it, because I always lose. maybe that will make the difference. :-)

You're on, Diamond Jim!

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »

You're on, Diamond Jim!

:wink:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »
Romney Wins Maine Caucuses

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Mitt Romney won the presidential preference voting context by Maine Republicans on Saturday in the party's municipal caucuses, which were heavily attended across the state.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080203/D8UIIA080.html

I just pray the rest of the country follows suit and rejects McCain and his insane ideas.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »
Romney Wins Maine Caucuses

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Mitt Romney won the presidential preference voting context by Maine Republicans on Saturday in the party's municipal caucuses, which were heavily attended across the state.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080203/D8UIIA080.html

I just pray the rest of the country follows suit and rejects McCain and his insane ideas.

god, I have a fear of seeing 99 year old john mccain in the same debate stage as young and active The BarackStar!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »

You're on, Diamond Jim!

Randolph and Mortimer?  Is that you?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 11:37:53 PM »
Quote from: Wretched Excess
god, I have a fear of seeing 99 year old john mccain in the same debate stage as young and active The BarackStar!

"I refuse to make my opponent's youth and inexperience an issue in this campaign."

John McCain is no Ronald Reagan.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »

"I refuse to make my opponent's youth and inexperience an issue in this campaign."

the truth of the matter is that he IS inexperienced, and he is naive beyond words.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 11:44:31 PM »

The media was all over President Reagan's age (68) at the time.  He was "much too old" to be assuming such responsibility.  Of course, they hated President Reagan.

I haven't heard a peep out of the same media about John McCain's age (71).  Of course, the media loves McCain.  He's just like they are.