Author Topic: Can I Send My Favorites Folder to Someone Else?  (Read 6684 times)

Offline PoliticalChick

• Rebel Chick
  • Probationary (Probie)
Can I Send My Favorites Folder to Someone Else?
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »
Hi.  If I have a favorites folder with a bunch of different websites in it, can this be transferred to someone else?  I remember reading that this could be done, but I don't remember how.

Thanks!
People are most conservative on issues that they know most about.
   Ann Coulter

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Can I Send My Favorites Folder to Someone Else?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
Yes, you can. Which browser are you using ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
How to send a folder.
Right-click on the folder ,select "Send To" and then "Compressed Zip folder".

Windows compress the folder and it will appear as a compressed folder with the same name next to original folder.Upload it and send it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »
Hi.  If I have a favorites folder with a bunch of different websites in it, can this be transferred to someone else?  I remember reading that this could be done, but I don't remember how.

Thanks!

Export it (File, Export) -- it will send them to an HTML file the recipient can import.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
Firefox doesn't have the export feature.....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:37:08 PM »

Hang on a sec..
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »

Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>Import and Backup>Export HTML

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
I do it in a different way. C:\Documents and Settings\Current User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"whatever the default folder is".default, then copy bookmarks.bak and save to wherever I need it. Rename it to bookmarks.html  and send. Et Voila.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
I do it in a different way. C:\Documents and Settings\Current User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"whatever the default folder is".default, then copy bookmarks.bak and save to wherever I need it. Rename it to bookmarks.html  and send. Et Voila.

That works too.

So, we have a lot of options for the OP

Offline PoliticalChick

• Rebel Chick
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:32:19 AM »
Thanks for everyone's responses!  The one that worked for me was to go into my browser Internet Explorer, select File, then Import and Export. 

I put the favorites folder in my thumbdrive, just in case my computer crashes.  (I hope it doesn't.) 

This is a neat thing to know.  Thanks again everyone.  Conservatives are smarter...
   Ann Coulter

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:18 AM »
I think most of us thought you were wanting to send them to someone, not just back them up. I have a separate hard drive that I synch certain folders to to keep backups safe.

Offline PoliticalChick

• Rebel Chick
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »
I think most of us thought you were wanting to send them to someone, not just back them up. I have a separate hard drive that I synch certain folders to to keep backups safe.

Yes that was the original question, but isn't it done the same way?  Once it's in a hard drive or thumbdrive, couldn't I then attach it to the email? 

A little off the subject, but how has the hard drive worked out for you?  Someone I know suggested a service called Sugar Sync.  It sounded good, but of course you pay monthly/annual fees for that.
   Ann Coulter

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I have three drives on both of my computers, with one drive on each just to back up things I don't want to lose,(music, pictures, videos). I use this free program to do the automatic backup.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »
Sending PrOn?    :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Woody

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 12:15:15 AM »
RE: Dell and the install disk.

I have used an old Dell XP disk to install XP on an XPS 1330 (very recent vintage, shipped with Vista), with no problem.  It doesn't ask for a serial number.  I've also used the same disk to install XP on an old Dell Optiplex GX110 (shipped pre-XP), with no problem.  Again, no serial number was asked for.

Vista may be a bit different, but I installed Vista Ultimate on the same XPS 1330, when it was actually licensed for Vista Home.  Again, no serial was asked for, and I got no errors in over six months of running it.

As for the legality of all of this, I believe that you can downgrade a system from Vista to XP without any issues.  Dell has paid MS for a license already; how you use that license doesn't matter (IIRC).  BUT upgrades are almost certainly a violation of the license agreement.  There does not seem to be any mechanism for enforcing that agreement, however.

Woody
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951