Author Topic: Designer turkeys fly off the shelves in anticipation of Thanksgiving  (Read 2537 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Hold onto your giblets: Designer turkeys are flying off store shelves - even at prices as high as $14 a pound.

That's a $168 dent in your Thanksgiving budget if you're hunting a tasty 12-pounder.

Manhattan architect Stephen Alesch dished out more than $200 Sunday for a pair of Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch Heritage free-range turkeys, priced at $11 a pound and dubbed the "Mercedes-Benz" of birds by Dean & Deluca staff.

"They hang out in open fields," Alesch, 45, said in defense of his three-figure fowl.

"It's all about what it's been like for them for their one or two years of life."

But even Alesch had his limit.

He passed over the D'Artagnan wild turkey, selling for $14 a pound, that looked like a runway model version of the holiday staple - pale, thin, and overpriced. D'Artagnan's website boasts that their turkeys are "farm-raised from the original wild breed."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/22/2010-11-22_designer_turkeys_fly_off_the_shelves_in_anticipation_of_thanksgiving__at_up_to_1.html#ixzz16EA7auWz

Offline thundley4

Re: Designer turkeys fly off the shelves in anticipation of Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
Fools and their money.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »
We paid 29¢/ lb for ours. It will be just as tasty.......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
I took my dog to the vet last month. Her office is on a windy rural road. Came around a bend and nearly obliterated a flock of about 12 wild turkeys. Zero cents a pound!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »
I took my dog to the vet last month. Her office is on a windy rural road. Came around a bend and nearly obliterated a flock of about 12 wild turkeys. Zero cents a pound!

Is that including any damages done to the vehicle?