Author Topic: I need ideas for dinner tonight  (Read 4145 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
I need ideas for dinner tonight
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
I have to go to the grocery store because we have nothing for dinner and I have been sick the last few days. My husband has been very sweet about it and either stopped at the store on his way home and cooked it himself or we ordered pizza etc. I'm watching Tinkerbell with my youngest and after it is over I am gong to force myself to go to the store.

Any suggestions for something fairly easy but is really good?

Offline Karin

Re: I need ideas for dinner tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
Are you still feeling kind of "yucky" so you don't want anything too intense or spicy, etc? 

How about a whole roast chicken?  I think they're easy as pie to do.  Buy your mashed potatoes already made (Simply Potatoes, Bob Evans, etc.)  Make the gravy only if you're feeling up to it.  Otherwise, purchase. 

Spaghetti, garlic bread and a salad is always good. 

Slow cooked pork chops?  Brown on both side in EVOO, add Progresso Mushroom soup, season to your liking, cover and place in 300 degree oven for couple hours.  Serve with mashed potatoes. 

Glad you're up and around! 

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
You can make shrimp salad in about 15 minutes. While the salad "rests" in the fridge, chunk some fresh tomatoes, and some fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut up a few leaves of basil, add salt and pepper, and olive oil. Some good Italian or French bread, that you can either serve fresh and sliced. Or slice it, brush with melted butter, garlic and a bit of parsley, and toast in the oven. Have a pan of brownies to stick in the hot oven after the bread, they can bake while you eat. "Dust" with powdered sugar after they have cooled for about 15 minutes.

Should be able to get it all done, except for baking time on the brownies, in 45 minutes or less especially if you don't do anything to the bread.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »
Are you still feeling kind of "yucky" so you don't want anything too intense or spicy, etc? 

How about a whole roast chicken?  I think they're easy as pie to do.  Buy your mashed potatoes already made (Simply Potatoes, Bob Evans, etc.)  Make the gravy only if you're feeling up to it.  Otherwise, purchase. 

Spaghetti, garlic bread and a salad is always good. 

Slow cooked pork chops?  Brown on both side in EVOO, add Progresso Mushroom soup, season to your liking, cover and place in 300 degree oven for couple hours.  Serve with mashed potatoes. 

Glad you're up and around! 

Yes i feel better but i still have a massive headache.  Mainly behind the eyes and brow area  i still have the "snot" thing going on, I probably have a sinus infection.  

Thanks for the ideas. My husband picked up spaghetti and Italian sausage and made that last night.  The prokchops sound good. My daughter just suggested meatloaf.  

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
You can make shrimp salad in about 15 minutes. While the salad "rests" in the fridge, chunk some fresh tomatoes, and some fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut up a few leaves of basil, add salt and pepper, and olive oil. Some good Italian or French bread, that you can either serve fresh and sliced. Or slice it, brush with melted butter, garlic and a bit of parsley, and toast in the oven. Have a pan of brownies to stick in the hot oven after the bread, they can bake while you eat. "Dust" with powdered sugar after they have cooled for about 15 minutes.

Should be able to get it all done, except for baking time on the brownies, in 45 minutes or less especially if you don't do anything to the bread.

Ohh that sounds yummy. Come make it for me.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
Ohh that sounds yummy. Come make it for me.

BEG, You and the rest are driving me nuts and making me rollie pollie.

I have tried a few too many of the recipes you all have given to the forum and at the Doctors office yesterday found I had gained 5 pounds.

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
BEG, You and the rest are driving me nuts and making me rollie pollie.

I have tried a few too many of the recipes you all have given to the forum and at the Doctors office yesterday found I had gained 5 pounds.

Shrimp salad's allowed on my "diet".

I use a LB of 31-40 count shrimp, cut in 3rds. I use the pre-cooked frozen kind. Krogers and Walmart have it for about $5.99 a bag, less when it's on sale.
1/4 to 1/2 c tiny diced onion...go with the smaller amount, add more if needed. if it's a strong onion, no more.
1/2 to 3/4 c tiny diced celery.

Into about 1/2c of mayonnaise -the real thing!....add 1 tablespoon milk, some parsley, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper...whisk it together and taste it before pouring it over the shrimp mix. Do not add salt until after
it's been mixed with the shrimp mix. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit.

Sit it in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Expect the mayonnaise mix to liquify more in the bottom of the bowl, as shrimp, celery and onion have a high water content.

It's great plain, or served with crackers as an appetizer. Leftovers will keep about 2 days. 
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »
If anyone has any good crockpot ideas, I'm all ears!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »

Two standbys.  Both Easy Peasy. 

Pork loin Roast
Two big cans of crushed or stewed tomatoes. 
salt, pepper, and tarragon or rosemary, or both. 
Cook on low for 8 and more hours.
Shred, and serve over polenta, rice, or mashed potatos

Italian Beef

Chuck Roast
1 beer
1 jar pepperocini peppers sliced

Cook for 8 or more hours
remove fat and shred
serve over hoagie buns
Top with shredded provolone or mozzarella. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »
Those sound really good, Deb, especially the Italian Beef!!

Beef Stew

Layer:

Beef stew meat, sprinkle with salt and pepper
Quartered onions
Halved mushrooms (fresh or drained canned)
Chopped garlic
Chunks of carrots
Bag of frozen peas

Can of cream of mushroom soup

Cover for 6-8 hours.

20 minures before serving, whisk some flour and water, pour through a strainer so there aren't any lumps and stir the whole pot up. This will thicken up the sauce to more of a gravy.

Serve over buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.

Potatoes can be added in if you don't want to have mashed ones. When I do, I use either quartered "new" red potatoes or baby yukon golds. I really like the baby yukons, just can't always find them.

I used to do one, when my kids were little that's similar to above, except no potatoes or peas, add celery instead, sprinkle oregano or basil over the meat, and instead of the mushroom soup, use a can of V-8, either the littlest one or the next size up. Don't thicken and serve over pasta. The peas could stay in, but my kids didn't like them, and they aren't as "hidden" in this one as the other.  :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »
Pork butt
Sprinkle with a generous amount of season salt or brisket rub
Cook ALL day on low. And by all day I mean all day.

When it is done, shred it with two forks. Drain the fat and dump it back into the crockpot. Add BBQ sauce and turn it up to high to heat through. Serve over buns.

Some times I leave the BBQ out and let them put their own on it because it is good with out it too.

I've been making in the oven more lately. 225 degrees COVERED all day. 

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
Oooo -- these all sound really good! Thanks ladies!!   :heart:
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:50 PM »

Nice and simple pot roast.

Take 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and one can of beef broth. Stir together and add one packet of french onion mix and stir. Pour over roast in crock pot. Cook on low 8 hours. Makes wonderful gravy for mashed potatoes.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 03:47:33 PM »
Mike, that gravy sounds really good and really easy too.  I'll have to try that.  I love having a crockpot dinner waiting for me at the end of the day. 

BEG's pulled pork sounds good too.  You know a good seasoning for that is McCormack's Pork Rub.  Great flavor, no fuss.

I like to do Swedish Meatballs in the crockpot, too.  I use cream of mushroom and a jar of Heinz beef gravy, and rinse out the cans with sherry.  Add sour cream at the end.  Over mashed or noodles.  I really prefer my own meatballs, but am not too proud to purchase.   

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
Garlic Chicken Goo (posted at the old forum at one time)

4 boneless skinless chicken boobies, sliced.
1 garlic head, crushed, yes, a whole head.
1 bunch flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
1 container sour cream,(usually the large size) lite will work, but not fat-free
1-2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
4 cups rice (before cooking)
1-2 tbs veg oil for the chicken
S&P
Start the rice.
 Season and saute chicken in a large frying pan with the oil, till almost done. It should be slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook on med-low. When the garlic is partly done, add the cream of mushroom soup. Add the sour cream and part of the parsley and stir together. Cook on low heat, covered, till the rice and chicken is done. Add the rest of the parsley. Serve over a bed of rice.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline JLO

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 12:23:25 AM »
Nice and simple pot roast.

Take 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and one can of beef broth. Stir together and add one packet of french onion mix and stir. Pour over roast in crock pot. Cook on low 8 hours. Makes wonderful gravy for mashed potatoes.

YES - we do that - it is exactly the right consistency, but we use French onion soup - it eliminates one ingredient, eh!

Here's another easy gravy for fowl - it's the same thing - two cans cream of mushroom soups and one can chicken stock.  I add a little parsley for looks.

I've never done the onion soup added to the chicken mix, but I will try it - thanks for the idea! :hi5:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »
One of the crock pot things I enjoy is to take a chuck roast, season it, fry it or grill it to caramelize the outside and then drop it in a crock pot  with a package or two of French's Onion Soup mix. (You may want to cut up the roast into small cubes, but it all depends on your patience and how big your crock pot is.  When the beef becomes fork tender, one can add in carrots, potatoes, fresh onions, etc. When those are done, one can make gravy from the juice or eat as is.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson