Author Topic: Quick N' Easy.  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
Quick N' Easy.
« on: December 04, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
I'm starving and I blame this forum. Particularly the Turkey brining thread, which may be the greatest thread in the history of free recipe threads on the interwebs.

In fact I'm so starving I decided to jot down the simplest, quickest recipe I could think of. Please feel free to contribute as I'll be busy eating Tamales. (which I don't have recipe for, but I know takes eons to make.) Mrs. Burr brought home a dozen or so that the Tamale Lady* at her work makes every Christmas.

But since it's Friday, I'll make these later for dinner.

Catfish Burger

I made these out of spite after California banned rock cod fishing and left me jobless.

1 fillet of Catfish.

1 dark beer

1 egg

spicy mustard

salt n' peppa

flour.

hamburger buns, lettuce, tomato.

Beat the egg, add mustard and a little beer, dump in the flour and salt n' peppa and make gooey batter. Flop a hamburger patty sized piece of fish in the mustard goo and dump it in hot oil. Cook the Hell out of it and flip it over. Toast the buns under the broiler and smear mayo on both. Lettuce and a tomato slice and your done. It's basically a ghetto crabcake. And it's to die for.

I usually serve it with the letter shaped tater tots that Aaron Jr. loves so much.

*Tamale Lady. A Southwestern phenomena that involves a mysterious coworker that only appears once a year to to take your order for homemade tamales.

So please feel free to post your favorite quick n' easy recipes. I may have to work in a meal between lunch and dinner.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Quick N' Easy.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
I love Tamale Ladies.  We have about 5 different ones where I work.  The hook up is with the El Salvadorean one.  She makes em with real identifiable meat, and stuffs em in banana peels!

Quick n Easy

Shredded Beef Sandwiches

1 Chuck Roast
1 beer
1 jar pepperocini peppers (sliced, so you don't have to.)

throw all 3 in a crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or more.  (I usually put the crockpot on high for the first hour, because I am wierd like that)

Now, trim off the visible fat, and shred.

Serve over hoagie buns, with provolone cheese, or whatever you have.  Also good over baked potatos, mashed potatos or rice.   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
Hmmm. If I start now, it should be ready by 2 A.M. Normally I'm deep frying snicker bars at that hour but I'm up for a change of pace.

Mrs. Burr likes to boil noodles and make pesto in the food chopper thing. It's just pine nuts, olive oil and parsley. It's surprisingly tasty for something that doesn't have food in it.

Offline bkg

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
I do two things a lot. I'm single - I can.

Spagetti:

Boil water and start pasgetti
Throw two hamburgers (or 1/2 pound of ground beef) in a pan and brown.
Garlic and season to taste
When almost done, throw in a can of canned mushrooms

Once noodles are almost done, put in your favorite cannd pasgetti sauce to taste (thick/thin/etc)

Noodles in a bowl, hamburger/mushroom/seasoning/pasgetti sauce combo over the top. Don't know why, but I dig this meal.

Chicken and Mushrooms:
fry two chicken breasts.
Once nearly complete, throw in a can o' mushrooms and season to taste
Once Mushrooms are cooked to taste, add a can of Cream o' Mushroom soup - keep it thick.
Cook to taste.

Both are simple, not complex and definitely a bachelor dinner

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
That looks pretty good.  The only time I've ever fried catfish was your standard cornmeal-and-spices batter.  It's just about idiot proof. :)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:04:35 PM »
Well Chris, it actually is pretty good. Like I said, I lost my job, couldn't find rock cod anywhere in the stores, so I bought a piece of catfish because I vaguely remembered my uncle frying up some once upon a time. Basically I was miserable and felt like eating miserable food. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to discover how good it tasted.

It's the batter. I picked up the mustard trick in Mexico watching the local vendors make fish tacos.

Know what else is good? I mean really good?

Mango Fish Salad

Same batter as the fish burgers only use if for either shrimp or rock cod because inexplicably, I can get rock cod in Arizona. Just make little pieces.

Anyway, these little fish batter guys go on top of......a salad. It's true. Just make the salad out of Butter Lettuce. No fuggin' substitutions. In the lettuce goes some slivers of either Mangos, or super THIN apple slices. Or both, but apples are cheaper and easier to work with. On top goes a honey mustard salad dressing which is easy as Hell to make since it's only mustard, honey, and oil/vinegar. (I use apple vinegar and spicy mustard.) Oh, and salt and pepper. That's it. It's so easy and delicious Mrs. Burr thinks I should send the recipe to Sunset magazine and get 50 bucks. Of course she told me that 2 years ago. I really am that lazy.

Oh yeah, Mr. BKG, what the Hell is a mushroom?

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
Dude.  Did you really post a salad recipe?

Lazy stuffed Bell Peppers.

Bell Peppers, sliced in strips, any color will do, but I like to mix em up

Chopped Onion, however much you like.

1 lb ground beef, or ground pork

2 cups rice cooked, which I think is one cup uncooked, with two cups water. 

Small can tomato sauce

Can of diced tomatoes, or rotel, whatever you have.

Brown beef, with garlic, salt and pepper, and whatever else you want.

Drain the beef, and set aside.

Saute peppers, and onion,  until soft.  Throw the ground beef back in, and then add the sauce and tomatoes, and the rice.  Cook till heated thru.

Eat.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »
I like rice.  It holds well and you can make a lot of it ahead of time.

The problem is finding recipes that go well with it.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
2- slices white bread, toasted

1- tbsp. butter (or spread), divided

1- tbsp. jam, jelly, or preserves of choice, divided (optional)

Smoogie the divided butter (or spread) on top of toasted bread.

Smoogie jam, jelly, or preserves of choice, if desired.

Serve alone or with any damn thing you please.

Yield: 1

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
I love anything that has smoogie in the instructions.

divided (optional) 

Oh my LAWD. 

Still laughing. :rotf:

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »
What the Hell is rotel?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Canned tomatoes with green peppers.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:51:36 PM »
Fuggin' foreigners. Peppers go in Salsa. I can't think of any other use for them. Unless they're sweet, then they're good raw...maybe a sliver or two. I just can't get down with slimy vegetables.

Just cook shrimp in ton of butter, garlic and oil and dump the mess over rice...and garnish it with slivers of sweet peppers. But I've forgotten how to make rice since I bought a rice cooker. Damn.

I think Spanish rice is supposed to be easy to make. But my Spanish is terrible so I usually let Mrs. Burr make it.

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
Saute an onion in a couple of tablespoons of butter in a small stock pot. Add a lb of hamburger and brown. Drain.

Add 16oz of Mexican velveeta....melt over low heat, stirring to make sure it doesn't burn.

Add 2 cans of Rotel original....add the hot one if you want it really spicy.

Stir well...serve with Tostitos....

Can put it in a small crockpot on low to keep warm....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline bkg

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »

ooooh.. I dig crockpots!!!!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 12:12:51 AM »
i like crock pots, but I left my last one over at a friend's house a couple years ago.  I set my oven to 200° and use a cast-iron pot now instead.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »
What the Hell is rotel?

WTH ?!?!?!?!? Are you a YANKEE??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
Saute an onion in a couple of tablespoons of butter in a small stock pot. Add a lb of hamburger and brown. Drain.

Add 16oz of Mexican velveeta....melt over low heat, stirring to make sure it doesn't burn.

Add 2 cans of Rotel original....add the hot one if you want it really spicy.

Stir well...serve with Tostitos....

My mom used to make this, but she added some evap milk to thin it down a bit. And.......... shame on you for using "Tostitos"....... any connoisseur knows that real tortilla chips are the best. 
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
A Yankee? Absolutely not my dear fellow. Were I not comfortably ensconced behind a bottle of Tawny Port, I assure you that even now one of my disposable minions would be conferring with your "Second" the terms of our "Interview" for such an egregious insult.

The only vegetables I eat out of a can are sweet peas. However, I can't think of any recipe for them other than shepherds pie. But since I'm not a Shepard, I usually dump them in with some mashed potatoes and a cooked sausage.

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
You say you like catfish here is a quick and easy way to fix it....

Catfish Stew

Catfish either filets, nuggets or chunks
Potatoes, sliced
Onions, sliced
Salt and pepper
Water

Place a layer catfish, a layer of potatoes and a layer of onions in a pot.
Salt and pepper each layer as you go.
Repeat layers till you fill your pot or you make as much as you need for this meal.
Cover with water.
Cook over med. heat till potatoes are done.
Great served with fried corn bread or hush puppies.
This dish is even better the next day….
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
Actually, I like rock cod. But I discovered quite by accident that a catfish fillet is thick enough and tough enough to substitute for a hamburger patty.

Anyway, I'm beginning to notice a trend concerning onions in all the recipes but mine. I should probably look up what their purpose is.
Also, I like the idea of using fish in a stew that isn't a chowder. And if you have a recipe for hush puppies, I would be eternally grateful.

The next recipe is for all my canned vegetable loving friends.

Scallop Goop.

2 packages of dried spinach fettuccine
1 can of enchilada sauce
1 can of baby corn ears
1 can of black beans
sour cream
scallops

Cook the noodles, drain. In a big, fat, deep frying pan cook the scallops and whatever else you have handy, I.E. pepper slices or shrimp. Dump in the enchilada sauce, some sour cream, salt, the corn and black beans and heat it up. Then dump in the noodles and simmer and stir and get the noodles all saucy with black beans sticking to them and the scallops all over the place and your done.

Goopalicious.

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »
Anyway, I'm beginning to notice a trend concerning onions in all the recipes but mine. I should probably look up what their purpose is.
Also, I like the idea of using fish in a stew that isn't a chowder. And if you have a recipe for hush puppies, I would be eternally grateful.

I am from the south and we grew up putting onions in just about everything we cook....at least my family did...
And it just so happens I do have a recipefor Hush Puppies...

Hush Puppies

1 c. Corn meal
½ c. Flour
1 sm. onion chopped
a pinch of Salt
1 tea. Sugar
1 tab. Oil
1 Egg
½ c. Milk
Oil for deep frying

Mix dry ingredients together.
Mix onions with dry ingredients.
Add oil egg and milk.

You want the batter rather thick.

Drop by spoonfuls in hot oil. Brown on one side then flip over to brown on other side.

A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
Could I substitute garlic for the onions? If not, I'm chopping the hell out the onions. Also, can beer be substituted for the milk? If not, can chocolate milk be used?

Anyway. I'm not much of a chef, but I do like fish, which makes my relocating to a landlocked state somewhat quixotic. But the easiest recipe for fish is just to dump some mussels and lil' clams into a pan of wine, oil, butter and garlic. Maybe some parsley, I dunno', I don't keep much around the house. When the mussels open up dump the slop into a sourdough bread bowl. Or make garlic bread and dunk it into the pan and use those lil' forks to open up the mussels.

Yar mateys, tis' be Neptune's own ambrosia.

Oh yeah, thank you for the Hush puppy recipe. I'll make them tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:23:16 PM by Aaron Burr »

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »
Did you say shrimp and scallops???

How bout shrimp and oysters with fries

Crab cakes anyone???

No onions harmed in this post
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
As for hushpuppies..............nothin better than swet betsy from Atkison mill

Chris you can order it from here

https://p9.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.htgas.com/ssl/
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.