Author Topic: 1983 Datsun 280ZX  (Read 144451 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1983 Datsun 280ZX
« Reply #550 on: August 21, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
Those blue injectors you sent me... what did they come out of?

I had to go back for the analog wiring harness.  It's amazing how easily the dashboard comes out once you remove the speedometer.  Four screws at the top, four bolts at the bottom, and two screws holding the heater control switch in place. 

I may have misplaced them, but I think some mother****er walked off with my 1/4-inch and 3/8-socket sets at the junkyard. ****ing ******* thieves. :censored:

Since I had to pull them from the manifold to send them to you, I am positive they came out of an 82 or 83 zx. 

How big of a mess is the harness?  To the best of my memory, I don't think I've ever pulled the whole interior harness on one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #551 on: August 21, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »
Since I had to pull them from the manifold to send them to you, I am positive they came out of an 82 or 83 zx. 

How big of a mess is the harness?  To the best of my memory, I don't think I've ever pulled the whole interior harness on one.
That's odd.  Was it a turbo manifold?  Those injectors have a larger flow rate than the standard ZX injector.  The injectors on my car(s) are either green or brown.

It's not bad.  Once you get the dashboard pulled out and flipped upside-down, it lifts right out.  It's held in by those funny rubber grips that Datsun used. 

Someone had already done me the favor of disconnecting the harness under the right side of the dash.  There were at least half a dozen large connectors there.  I would have been there for another hour if I had to deal with all that crap.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #552 on: August 21, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »
I took a second look at the manifold, and it has the BOV.   :whistling:

I'm not sure how the ECU would handle those, if it is advanced enough to adjust the duty cycle, or if it is within the range parameters of the stock ECU to run them. 

I searched and your stock injectors are 188cc, and the turbo injectors are 265cc  @ 80% duty cycle.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #553 on: August 21, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
I checked a couple posts on zcar.com from people who say they put turbo injectors on an NA motor and they failed their smog tests.  I wonder if ZCCA has any useful information on the matter.  There are two donor cars at the Pull-A-Part... I can get regular injectors there for $5 a pop.  I would have grabbed some today but I couldn't reach them. ::)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #554 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:56 PM »
I checked a couple posts on zcar.com from people who say they put turbo injectors on an NA motor and they failed their smog tests.  I wonder if ZCCA has any useful information on the matter.  There are two donor cars at the Pull-A-Part... I can get regular injectors there for $5 a pop.  I would have grabbed some today but I couldn't reach them. ::)

All you need to get them out is a razor blade and a phillips screwdriver (an impact screwdriver works great on them). 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #555 on: August 21, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
Yeah, but they don't make it easy.  The cars are jacked up onto a pair of old rims... the top of the fender comes up nearly to my chest.  With nothing to stand on, it's difficult to reach that far.  It's almost easier to unbolt the entire fuel rail and injectors, and lift it out as a single piece.  Probably should have done that today as well, but I was hot, sweaty, and miserable after getting that wiring harness.  I didn't plan on going back there today at all until I came across an earlier post that mentioned the pigtail for the digital-analog conversion.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #556 on: August 21, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
That yard is open on Sundays?  Lucky!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #557 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
Seven days a week, but they changed their hours.  They used to be open until 8pm.  Now they close at 5:00 every day.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »

Got the old, crusty wiring harness off the engine.  I need to take a wire brush and a rag to clean up the engine before putting the new one on.  Hope I can do that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:34:57 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #559 on: September 25, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
Got the TPS and cold-start valve swapped out along with a couple fuel lines and some almost-new spark plug cables (15 cents each at the Pull-a-Part... less than $1.50 for all seven :II:).  Couldn't get that last injector swapped out so I called it a day.  I'm going to have to find at least one injector for a non-turbo model.  I know I have at least one lying around here, but there's no way I'll be able to find it now.

The terminal locations on my Toyota line up with the old Datsun battery.  I wanted to see if the car would fire up on its own but I'm not going to do that without having that last injector installed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:55:11 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #560 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
Good news, the replacement cluster I picked up works.  Now to figure out how to rewind the speedometer. :whistling:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #561 on: September 30, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »

Got the old, crusty wiring harness off the engine.  I need to take a wire brush and a rag to clean up the engine before putting the new one on.  Hope I can do that tomorrow.

Maybe I missed it......did that thing catch on fire?   :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #562 on: September 30, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
Yesh.  Very much so.

One of the fuel lines worked itself loose while I was driving home and sprayed gasoline all over the engine.  I dumped a couple gallons of antifreeze on it to put it out.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #563 on: November 09, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mGoqZXGao&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I love the tan interior.  Nice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #564 on: February 28, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
Small world... I think a lady at work is married to the guy I bought the '82 car from.

Facebook:  Ruining your life one friend suggestion at a time. :-)

Still working on getting the fire damage repaired.  The intake manifold needs to be removed and cleaned.  I can't decide if I should do that first or try to get it running in the condition it's in now.  I keep flip-flopping back and forth and can't make up my mind.  I have all the replacement parts I need; I just haven't had the time to do the work.  I don't own an acetylene torch and I'll probably need one to remove the exhaust manifold.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:17:20 PM by chris_ »

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #565 on: February 28, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »
A friend from basic had one of those 280z's. I got to drive it. I love the manual transmission, and the dual fuel gage feature. A very nice driving car as I remember.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
The 5-speed is a blast to drive.  Sadly. the automatic is a horrible, depressing experience that never should have been sold to the public.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
Small world... I think a lady at work is married to the guy I bought the '82 car from.

Facebook:  Ruining your life one friend suggestion at a time. :-)

Still working on getting the fire damage repaired.  The intake manifold needs to be removed and cleaned.  I can't decide if I should do that first or try to get it running in the condition it's in now.  I keep flip-flopping back and forth and can't make up my mind.  I have all the replacement parts I need; I just haven't had the time to do the work.   I don't own an acetylene torch and I'll probably need one to remove the exhaust manifold.

I'd tear it apart after a fire. You never know what's (hidden) damaged and could cause more problems.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Chris_

« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
I'll definitely have to do that at some point. 

Might as well do it now.  I'm just worried about stripping or breaking an exhaust stud.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:42:03 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #569 on: March 04, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
I got a f'n parking violation from my apartment.  Now I HAVE to do something.  Assholes.

The weather is nice, so I got the vacuum hoses and new wiring harness swapped out and 80% complete.  Will try to fire it up tomorrow if I get a chance. 

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
I got a f'n parking violation from my apartment.  Now I HAVE to do something.  Assholes.

The weather is nice, so I got the vacuum hoses and new wiring harness swapped out and 80% complete.  Will try to fire it up tomorrow if I get a chance. 

You need to find a garage in forclosure,  something cheap to stash that thing in.  Must be something for short money out there.

I was looking at welders and torches today when I was at Lowe's ( no particular reason just looking at prices )  Arc welder @ 250. Torches @ 250 Mig set @650. 

When I use to have to heat stuff up I just used a regular propane torch.  I did have one propane torch with solid oxygen pellet system which I managed to burn a hole through my trailer floor lighting the pellets.  (not a particularly proud moment but it was cold as the dickens out that day in my defense). 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
My apartment complex removed the parking violation after I moved the car toward the curb.  (Residents aren't allowed to remove violation stickers.)

Damn, what a bunch of whiners and crybabies my neighbors are.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #572 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:43 AM »
My apartment complex removed the parking violation after I moved the car toward the curb.  (Residents aren't allowed to remove violation stickers.)

Damn, what a bunch of whiners and crybabies my neighbors are.
Doubtless populated heavily by libs.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #573 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Fire it up..............sans exhaust.  :fuelfire:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #574 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
Fire it up..............sans exhaust.  :fuelfire:
Hell, the exhaust gasket is mostly gone... it already sounds like there's a giant hole in it. :rofl: