Current Events > Breaking News

Dunkin' Donuts pulls ad over scarf that some see as terrorist symbol

(1/6) > >>

Tess Anderson:
They caved - it became  to be more about the scarf than the coffee:

--- Quote ---CANTON, Massachusetts: The Dunkin' Donuts chain has pulled an online advertisement featuring celebrity chef Rachael Ray after critics argued that that a scarf she wore in the ad offers symbolic support for terrorism.

Dunkin' Donuts said Wednesday it pulled the ad over the weekend because of what it calls a "misperception" about the scarf that detracted from its original intent to promote its iced coffee.

Critics, including conservative commentator Michelle Malkin, complained that the scarf appeared to be traditional garb worn by Arab men. The ad's critics say such scarves have come to symbolize Muslim extremism and terrorism.

Canton, Massacusetts-based Dunkin' Donuts says the black-and-white scarf that Ray wore had a paisley design, and was selected by a stylist for the advertising shoot. The chain says no symbolism was intended.
--- End quote ---

link

The power of the internet....

Lord Undies:
This "controversy" is the silliest bit of nothing to come along in a while. 

Anyone who knows anything about staging advertisement photos can see the scarf is there to frame the product.  Nothing is left to chance.  Every nuance of the photo is staged for maximum effect.  Ray's dress is the perfect background color to show off the latte.  The color of the sky, the blossoms, the shadows....it is all a design.  The last damn thing the stylist and photo shoot coordinator had on their minds at the time was Arabs.   

mamacags:
I admit the first time I saw the commercial I said "HOLY CRAP! Why would she wear that!?!?!"  I saw too many idiots on zombietime wearing it looking the exact same.

Hawkgirl:
The ad should be pulled...not because it resembles arab gear (as say, a suicide belt would)...but that scarf is just too damn hideous.

Lord Undies:

--- Quote from: Hawkgirl on May 28, 2008, 08:37:06 PM ---The ad should be pulled...not because it resembles arab gear (as say, a suicide belt would)...but that scarf is just too damn hideous.

--- End quote ---

It looks like it fell apart in the washer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version