Author Topic: reminescences on Tangerine LaBamba  (Read 8886 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
reminescences on Tangerine LaBamba
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
note: this is meant to be a companion piece to the TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009 coming out soon, and to complement the current thread concerning the loss of a most remarkable person, all of which will be sent to the DUmping Ground, the "reference section" here, after they're dated.

While sitting here in the Sandhills of Nebraska, the only human being within six miles of myself, with snow inundating the prairies, covering up the existence of anything but snow, and with a new year coming on one being reminded how fleeting is youth, how fast one ages, I find myself grateful to God that I was not born with a rock-hard mind, upon which first impressions are engraved forever.

In fact, first impressions, second impressions, third impressions, and so on, are about as permanent in this mind as the surface of the snow, constantly shifted by the wind and melted by the sun.  God gave us the gift of judgement, and judgement is meant to be exercised in sizing up other people.....and most importantly, judgement is meant to be adapted, adjusted, as one becomes more and more illuminated about other people.

Such as my own history here, where at first I was utterly enthralled by the warped primitive, who seemed to know so much about everything.  But over time, the warped primitive became more and more bitter and ugly, and so I was compelled to adjust my judgement of her downward.  

Or Mrs. Alfred Packer, once fondly called "Grandma," whom at first I found to be an appealing person, but in the light of recent events making it clear that Grandma wants a man so desperately that she's willing to subjugate her being, her values, her needs, to the coarser, meaner ones of his.

In real life, I've always had problems with this sort of woman; I won't even touch them with a ten-foot pole, and run away when I see one of them coming.

Of course, this works both ways; judgement can be revised upward as well as downward.

And hence Tangerine LaBamba, late of Skins's island.

I forget when I first saw Tangerine LaBamba on Skins's island, but the first comment I read of hers was of a trite, frivolous nature (we all make those sorts of comments, myself perhaps more often than others), and so the first "picture" I drew of her was that of just another typical lightweight moonbat, nothing special.

The following few comments she made, that I read, were of the same silly nature, and so I got to calling her the "tambourine Bambi" primitive.

It was some time later a better "picture" of Tangerine LaBamba evolved.  Myself being deaf, I was never into movies, but of course I've read tons of books about movies, movie stars, and Hollywood, and when looking at Tangerine LaBamba, I was suddenly seeing old black-and-white photographs of Rita Hayworth, a pineapple in her hat, swiveling her hips, and singing "Down Mexico Way."

Tangerine LaBamba was the Rita Hayworth primitive for a very long time, but it never quite seemed to fit.  I kept calling her that, hoping that a more-appropriate monicker would evolve, but one never did.  "Gloria Swanson," without the "primitive" attached seemed better, but still not appropriate.

I first became aware of the great age of Tangerine LaBamba in the cooking and baking forum, where she counseled Mrs. Alfred Packer, at the time Grandma, that cheese food would do just as well for a certain recipe, as real cheese, thus drawing upon her shoulders the wrath of Grandma and the scorn of franksolich.

Tangerine LaBamba graciously back-tracked from Grandma; given the nature of the recipe, it was pretty much irrelevant whether one uses read cheese or cheese food, but so as to make Grandma feel better, Tangerine LaBamba admitted that it had been 45 years since she last purchased cheese food, herself.

Wow, I thought; given that Tangerine LaBamba surely had had to be an adult at the time of that purchase 45 years previously, well, it was obvious Tangerine LaBamba was no young woman.

Additional clues were provided by her references to meeting Averell Harriman, who was a contemporary of Henry Stimson, who was an intimate of Colonel House, who worked for Woodrow Wilson.  So this was no young primitive.

I paid attention to Tangerine LaBamba only sporadically, but over a year or so, the attitude adjusted itself in light of new illumination about her.  I still referred to her as the Rita Hayworth primitive, but midway through this slowly-dawning illumination, I began calling her Gloria Swanson, dropping the "primitive."

What I was seeing was something I had seen many times before in my own life, in real life.  Myself being deaf, and flung onto the cruel shores of real life at alas too young an age, I am not bashful about admitting that, without the help of so many others, so many others now gone to the Eternal time and place, I would have never made it.....and that Tangerine LaBamba seemed remarkably similiar to such people.

My flaws are my own fault; my virtues are gifts given me by such people.

The outstanding characteristic of such people seems to have been their attitude, "Yes, I'm willing to help you, but you yourself need to do 90% of the work."

The more I read of Tangerine LaBamba, the more I got the impression that not only on the internet, but in real life, Tangerine LaBamba was such a person.

It's no wonder so many primitives loathed her.

This "picture" of Tangerine LaBamba evolved long before speculations arose about her being the left-handed attorney, the "OldLeftyLawer" primitive, who gave the Bostonian Drunkard so much grief during Fitzmas, and long before her pinning the greenbriar primitive to the mat; by the time those things came to pass, I had already developed a fondness for her.

Since her death, I have seen a photograph of Tangerine LaBamba, taken in her serene old age; oddly, excepting for that her nose was different from what I had imagined, she pretty much resembled how I had "pictured" her.

It's only the internet, not real life, and Tangerine LaBamba and I had just one fleeting encounter via e-mail, the sum total of both messages being less than a dozen words, and so not much should be made of my feelings about Tangerine LaBamba.

However, there remains this sense that despite that her politics sucked, in real life Tangerine LaBamba was undeniably an exceptional person, with a particular sort of grace and class and charity sadly lacking in the world, and which never existed among the primitives on Skins's island.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:51:40 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: reminescences of Tangerine LaBamba
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
It was a bit striking to me that the night she appeared and made her first post one could immediately sense of her that even though a brutal and heated political argument could be had a person was still better for knowing her.
There was a charm and a wit that stood above politics and disagreements.

Odd how that was and indeed clear that while she may have been a part of the island and some of the less desirable elements of it the real person was still better then they.
The impression I got was a lady that would be your friend through thick and thin.
That may be laughed at as silly and no possible way to know that but it is what I thought somehow.

I can`t be alone in that either it seems.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »
I think its hard to add to Frank and Carl.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:51:50 PM »
The impression I got was a lady that would be your friend through thick and thin.

That may be laughed at as silly and no possible way to know that but it is what I thought somehow.

Not silly to me.  I get it.  She reminded me of people I knew, and almost forgot.  And, for that I will always be thankful.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:29:55 AM »
Not silly to me.  I get it.  She reminded me of people I knew, and almost forgot.  And, for that I will always be thankful.

And, because of this (yeah, she does/did the same for me, too), God has a certain Reward for her--not the type for what we would normally think a denzien of the DUmp would get, with all of the hatred they spout off.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: reminescences on Tangerine LaBamba
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
Threads at the DUmp claiming a hoax. They say no obit exists, no death notice can be found, no funeral notice can be found. Only a single DUmmy who claims to have received a phone call substantiates the report. Everyone on both sides of the argument is a DUmmy, so who knows.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »
Threads at the DUmp claiming a hoax. They say no obit exists, no death notice can be found, no funeral notice can be found. Only a single DUmmy who claims to have received a phone call substantiates the report. Everyone on both sides of the argument is a DUmmy, so who knows.

Several people have claimed to know her in real life.  One is a new poster who just joined to reminisce about her.  That one does sound fishy.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:48:23 AM »
Suggested additional reading:

love letter to Gloria Swanson:

http://www.conservativeca...om/index.php/topic,34330/

Tangerine LaBamba has passed away:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,38442.90.html

Top DUmmie (Primitive) of 2009:

http://www.conservativeca...ex.php/topic,38484.0.html

apres moi, le deluge

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »
Several people have claimed to know her in real life.  One is a new poster who just joined to reminisce about her.  That one does sound fishy.

The threads over there are getting very long and harder to load, however, I just ran across this post which I feel worthy of note:

Wabansia (1 posts)      Fri Jan-01-10 06:27 PM
Response to Original message
732. I AM ANNETTE APPOLLO'S OLDER SISTER (69 YEARS OLD)
 FYI, Annette Appollo committed suicide (by prescription drug overdose) on 12/23/09. She was going to be evicted from her apt. the next day for non-payment of rent. Her parents and I constituted her immediate family. Dad was a postal worker; mom was a dress factory machine operator. They saved every cent they could toward our education. I did not want to go to college (to their disappointment; every WWII era parent dreamed their kids would go to college). Instead I went to business school. Annette, though later found to be mentally fragile, was very intelligent, valedictorian of her high school class (albeit a class of only 95) and earning a fully paid scholastic scholarship to Temple Univ., Phila. where she first became exposed to the lifestyles of the 'rich and famous'. She mingled with kids from wealthy backgrounds and began to emulate them, grades slipped, she was thrown out. After two more colleges (paid for with my parents' hard-earned money), they finally got her through an undergrad degree. She married one of her professors, Dr. Lawrence Porter (20+ years older than she), moved to Wash., DC, was accepted into the law school of Catholic Univ. (again, parents' money). Larry accepted a job with Livermore Labs, Walnut Creek, Calif. She didn't like Calif., cooked up the story that he was cheating on her and returned home. Parents paid for divorce (marriage lasted two or three years). Parents then subsidized her until approximately 1980 (meanwhile I and my husband were being transferred all over the country and the world by his employer (Haliburton, the name you folks love to hate). Finally I learned in late 1981 that she had abandoned them and, after dad called on a local friend's son who was a detective in the Wash., DC area to check her apt. and, upon her learning of this, dad receiving a letter from her lawyer threatening a lawsuit for harrassment if he continued to try to contact her, I took over looking after them, making the trip cross country on holidays, seeing that they were OK, etc. In 1991 we left Chicago and returned to the old homestead, at my dad's request, because he'd been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and dementia simultaneously. He died in 1995, mother died in 1998. Annette monitored all of this through relatives (who I never knew), but her lawyer did call one day and ask how my dad was....dad had died the day before. She was a very emotionally disturbed individual. Combine that feature with being a grifter (to the best of our knowledge she never worked a day in her life as evidenced by the remarks of her apt. bldg. mgr. who found her body (three days after she committed suicide) and her will next to her naming him executor of her 'estate'. He said she had $400 in her checking account and, in going through her records, had never contributed one cent to Soc. Security.
To those who loved her, I thank you because I've never known anyone who did, except my parents. To those to whom she was mean and rude, I apologize. We both came from a wonderful and caring family...a family that gave her everything, but when they refused to continue to pay her way at age 35, she abandoned them. She always wanted to be rich and famous, made up stories about being rich and famous, really did get a book published but it didn't sell at all. The apt. mgr. said there was a recently received letter from her publisher on her desk indicating that she'd submitted a manuscript that she hoped would be published. It was a turn-down letter, stating that the manuscript seemed to be a 'memoir, and a bad one at that'. As always, it was all about Annette. 

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7344299#7369929

Hum?  what to think about this?
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
Ho. Lee.  Shit. :o

This is just weird.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 07:08:10 AM »
The threads over there are getting very long and harder to load, however, I just ran across this post which I feel worthy of note:

Hum?  what to think about this?

Oh wow.

The highest number I saw was the "710th" comment, but there were more after that.

How much does one want to bet the "wabansia" primitive is one of the BettyEllen primitive's sockpuppets?

For those without long memories, the BettyEllen primitive was a leading ACOLYTE OF THE LATE RED ROUND ONE, and those people knew all too well how to create and use sockpuppets.

But really, I dunno.

Whatever the truth of the matter is, it appears this is going to boil on Skins's island for a very long time, and so it's all good, seeing the primitives getting discombobulated.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »
I googled "livermore labs walnut creek" and got this result...

http://www.google.com/sea...amp;aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Interesting that the full name appears to be the Lawrence Livermore...an odd coincidence that being the first name of her husband.
Never will know probably but I sense that this latest story is a fabrication and a certain amount of checking probably can debunk it.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
Strange that she misspelled Halliburton.