Interests > The Science Club

Advanced Nuclear Fuel Sets Global Performance Record

<< < (2/2)

Chris_:

--- Quote from: NHSparky on November 18, 2009, 11:06:31 AM ---Interesting, but is 1250 deg C really that necessary?

--- End quote ---

I'm sorta with you.....either the high operating temperatures are necessary to increase the level of fuel consumption, or they are attempting to increase the output of the system through higher levels of expansion of the coolant.......

If the idea is to reduce the amount of radioactive waste in the spent fuel.......why are we not continuing the research on "fast breeder" type reactors, where the fuel can ultimately be reused again and again with little or no waste (discounting that the ultimate product is "weapons grade" material).........

doc

Thor:
I wish that the scientists would work harder on developing fusion energy, with NO waste. Fission is good, but it does leave waste material that we have to somehow dispose of. Perhaps, if they can't get fusion to work, they could work on a better way to reutilize what waste that is produced.

LC EFA:

--- Quote from: Thor on November 18, 2009, 01:36:20 PM ---I wish that the scientists would work harder on developing fusion energy, with NO waste. Fission is good, but it does leave waste material that we have to somehow dispose of. Perhaps, if they can't get fusion to work, they could work on a better way to reutilize what waste that is produced.

--- End quote ---

Ideally we want to break one of the golden rules and come up with a way to convert (any) mass directly into energy.

Chris_:

--- Quote from: Thor on November 18, 2009, 01:36:20 PM ---I wish that the scientists would work harder on developing fusion energy, with NO waste. Fission is good, but it does leave waste material that we have to somehow dispose of. Perhaps, if they can't get fusion to work, they could work on a better way to reutilize what waste that is produced.

--- End quote ---

First, there is a lot of research ongoing on fusion reactors of several designs........however, the problem that has evaded a reasonable solution is how to effectively contain the reaction, without the containment process consuming more energy than the reactor produces......

doc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version