Author Topic: How does one link to pictures....  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Flame

How does one link to pictures....
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:35:42 AM »
that are not uploaded into photbucket or whatever?  Is there a way to just link to a picture from google and h ave it show up here?

Offline thundley4

Re: How does one link to pictures....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »
that are not uploaded into photbucket or whatever?  Is there a way to just link to a picture from google and h ave it show up here?

I'm not sure if you can do it with Internet Explorer.

With Google Chrome, you right click the image and then click on "open image in a new tab".
Using FireFox , right click on the image , then click on "view image".

Both of those will give you a page like this , then just copy the url and insert it into the image tags.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »
testing....

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:42:17 AM »
Woot...thanks!

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »
What's all that funny lookin' white stuff on top of that there hill ? :-)

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:14:03 AM »
What's all that funny lookin' white stuff on top of that there hill ? :-)

It's pure snow!!!

(Hi5 for whoever gets the movie reference!)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »
It's pure snow!!!

(Hi5 for whoever gets the movie reference!)

CornField (1000+ posts)        Wed Dec-01-04 07:00 PM
Response to Reply #42
51. It's pure snow! Do you know the street value of this mountain?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x2121024#2122637

Offline Flame

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x2121024#2122637

Well, I gave you a high five, tho you didn't give me the movie, just the rest of the quote from DUmmieland, no less!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
Although question, flame, madam.

Is this "hot-linking"?

Isn't hot-linking frowned upon?

I know one isn't supposed to do it on freerepublic, although many do.

I use photobucket, but because of time, this means I don't post as many images as I'd like to.

What is the official policy on hot-linking here?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
Although question, flame, madam.

Is this "hot-linking"?

Isn't hot-linking frowned upon?

I know one isn't supposed to do it on freerepublic, although many do.

I use photobucket, but because of time, this means I don't post as many images as I'd like to.

What is the official policy on hot-linking here?

Good question, especially since pictures are preferred when posting in the Breaking News forum.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »
Good question, especially since pictures are preferred when posting in the Breaking News forum.

One's not supposed to hot-link on freerepublic, but given the sheer size and numbers of freerepublic, freerepublic pretty much gave up on trying to enforce the rule, with one exception.

One can post photographs of the primitives from Skins's island on freerepublic, but only through a photobucket or whatever account, not from hot-linking.

THAT is enforced; I think a few years ago, during the Scamdal, Jim Robinson and my fellow alum Skins had a go-around about it, because hot-linking (apparently) involves use of other people's cyberspaceage (or wave-length or band-width or whatever the Hell it is), in this case, that of democraticunderground.

There is a rule here that one cannot post photographs of primitives--other than, one reasonably assumes, the Bostonian Drunkard, a notorious public figure--only the links to such photographs.  I agree with that rule, if it in fact is a rule.

But I'd like clarification on this "hot-linking" stuff; okay, or no?  Okay in some circumstances, not okay in other circumstances?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
The way I see it, but I could be wrong, is that if a site allows to be hotlinked to, then go for it. It does add to their bandwidth and could cost them extra $$. It is preventable, if they're that concerned. (this is my own personal opinion, not that of the Administration).

Administrative opinion would be: One SHOULD copy the picture  and upload it to an image hosting site, such as Photobucket and THEN link to the picture that is served from one's image hosting account.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:54 PM »
The way I see it, but I could be wrong, is that if a site allows to be hotlinked to, then go for it. It does add to their bandwidth and could cost them extra $$. It is preventable, if they're that concerned. (this is my own personal opinion, not that of the Administration).

Administrative opinion would be: One SHOULD copy the picture  and upload it to an image hosting site, such as Photobucket and THEN link to the picture that is served from one's image hosting account.

Good man, Thor, sir.

This really caused freerepublic a lot of grief.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
Hotlinking is a bad thing.  It is using someone else's resources without their permission.   Pretty much like using your neighbor's garden hose to fill your swimming pool.

I always copy stuff into my own site, and link from there.   I used to not do that, but I got in trouble on Conservative Underground for hotlinking.  Because the person whose picture it was had a defender image if you hotlinked to it.  It was quite rude.   I wish I knew how he did that, as I have an image I would like to use for that purpose even though it is not a problem for me.  I just like the concept.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!