Author Topic: dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher not in Christmas mood  (Read 1020 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher not in Christmas mood
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:31:46 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4683685

Don't forget to vote for the Top 10 DUmmies Of 2008, if you haven't already.

Instructions for public or private voting are in the stickied thread at the top of this forum.

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)        Fri Dec-19-08 01:42 PM
Original message

A Missouri lawmaker wants to officially declare Dec. 25 as "Christmas."

Missouri has 12 holidays, but most don't have an official title in state law. For example, the fourth Thursday in November is a holiday, but you need to consult your calendar to find it's Thanksgiving Day.

Missouri has just four named holidays — Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln Day, Truman Day and Columbus Day.

A bill filed Thursday by Republican House member Mike Cunningham, of Rogersville, would make "Christmas" the name of the Dec. 25 holiday.

Besides holidays, lawmakers have created a slew of memorial days. But those can be easy to forget because you still have to come to work. They include Law Day on May 1, Jefferson Day on April 13 and Peace Officers Day on May 15.

http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/943594.html

Bleachers7  (1000+ posts)        Fri Dec-19-08 01:46 PM
Response to Original message

1. He should be more worried about losing Anheuser Busch to Europe

And losing Ford all together.

rcrush  (1000+ posts)      Fri Dec-19-08 01:46 PM

2. Is this so people dont forget?

I mean who the hell is able to remember its Christmas on Dec 25th? Its not like its plastered all over everything and its all over TV. If you look on a calendar it will say "Christmas" On Dec 25th. But I can see that it can be hard.

madinmaryland  (1000+ posts)        Fri Dec-19-08 01:55 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. I assume it's because freepers may not be able to read.

enlightenment  (1000+ posts)      Fri Dec-19-08 02:18 PM
Response to Reply #2

5. More about trying to make sure someone doesn't try to label it as something else (non-Christian, secular, etc).

Some people have too much time on their hands and not enough brain-power between their ears. He should find better things to worry about.

gollygee  (1000+ posts)      Fri Dec-19-08 01:48 PM

3. Oh well, we sure needed a law for that

I might not catch on with stores and TV and what-not ignoring the whole thing.

benld74 (1000+ posts)      Fri Dec-19-08 02:23 PM

6. I'm sure glad he reminded me,,,

I really hate this state at times!!!!

benld74 (1000+ posts)      Fri Dec-19-08 02:24 PM

7. 12-18-08 to be known as The Douchebag Representative Day!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

Re: dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher not in Christmas mood
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »
Gee. maybe he wanted to do it so losers like you guys wouldn't hi-jack it for good...you know, like how "Christmas break" has morphed into Winter break, and the Christmas show at school is now a Holiday program. 

Offline comradebillyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
A Missouri lawmaker wants to officially declare Dec. 25 as "Christmas." Sort of redundant since the Roman Emperor Constantine made that decision right after the Council of Nicea

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:07:24 AM »
A Missouri lawmaker wants to officially declare Dec. 25 as "Christmas." Sort of redundant since the Roman Emperor Constantine made that decision right after the Council of Nicea

Very Good! Ya watch the History Channel, or is this something you remember from your younger years?

Personally, the History Channel 1 and 2 are my favorites as far as cable goes. I can't believe what they teach my grandchildren nowadays! They are trying like hell to re-write our history so that it sounds like we really didn't create the finest nation in the history of the planet!

To most teachers we're the problem, not the solution.

Not as bad up here in N. Idaho, but I still have to convince my grandkids to watch the History Channel in order to get perspective.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
Very Good! Ya watch the History Channel, or is this something you remember from your younger years?

Personally, the History Channel 1 and 2 are my favorites as far as cable goes. I can't believe what they teach my grandchildren nowadays! They are trying like hell to re-write our history so that it sounds like we really didn't create the finest nation in the history of the planet!

Not as bad up here in N. Idaho, but I still have to convince my grandkids to watch the History Channel in order to get perspective.

History channel is running a miniseries on Generals in the war for Independance. Last night they covered Benedict Arnold & Lafayette
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:28:09 AM »
History channel is running a miniseries on Generals in the war for Independance. Last night they covered Benedict Arnold & Lafayette

Yeah, I watched it. If that moron hadn't screwed up, he would have been right up there with General George! He was a helluva commander! To much greed.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Zeus

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:38:06 AM »
Yeah, I watched it. If that moron hadn't screwed up, he would have been right up there with General George! He was a helluva commander! To much greed.

I kinda think they gave the money aspect to much sway. The Guy was basically shit on. not excusing his treason but between the way he was treated and then of course the money I think a lot of folks given his same opportunity would have acted likewise. Sweet Irony is he did not get thew money.

Lafayette for a spoiled little brat was one crazy Mofo though wasn't he.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 04:46:53 AM »

There's a monument to BG Arnold's lower leg at Saratoga National Historical Park, upon the spot that he was shot while leading an attack on the British redoubts there.  I can't remember whether it was the Balcarres redoubt or the Breymann redoubt.  It probably was the latter one.  Anyway, when Arnold was buried in Scotland, his request was that he be buried in his Continental Army uniform. 

What an ego.  But, he was a great commander.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline comradebillyboy

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »

I am just a history buff who reads a lot, but I do like the History Channel. Education should never be limited to what is taught in school. I always tell my students (I now  teach physics and math but used to be a professional engineer) to be skeptical, even of what their teachers tell them.