Author Topic: primitives measure spoons  (Read 825 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives measure spoons
« on: December 21, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x51615

Oh my.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-21-08 09:09 AM
Original message

Stainless Measuring Spoons

Sorry for the fuzzy pic this morning, but I got these spoons at work. They are from the estate of an elderly resident. I love them and want more of them but haven't seen them anywhere. There are no markings on them aside from the word "stainless" and the measurement etched in the bowl of each one. Anyone have any idea who makes/made them?

after which photograph of two spoons with square bowls

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sun Dec-21-08 09:20 AM
Response to Original message

1. I have that set

It's on a simple wire ring.

I bought it in a Boston supermarket in the cooking junk aisle, right off the rack. All it had as an identification was a sticky price tag I had one hell of a time removing.

I like it more than other sets because of the long handles, great for dipping into deep jars of sugar and other items.

Somebody probably still makes it. Just set your sights low and look for them in supermarkets and junk shops.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-21-08 09:35 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. See, now...

I was really banking on your being the one able to tell me who made them. LOL Yeah, I kind of figured I was going to be rummaging around to find more of them. I only have the two, the 1 T and 1 t.

I like to keep multiple sets of measuring cups and spoons so I'll probably will be looking around for them to replace the plastic ones I'm getting rid of. I've replaced one set with stainless and want to find another nice vintage set.

Damn, I'm surprised Grandma has plastic measuring cups and spoons.

It sort of lowers the pedestal she's on, that she uses plastic kitchen utensils.

Cassandra  (1000+ posts)        Sun Dec-21-08 12:52 PM

3. I have the same set from Foley.

In addition to being good spoons, I find the handle edges good for prying things open in the kitchen (the McCann's oatmeal tins, for one thing).

Yikes! 

Foley?

You got to be kidding.

I wouldn't touch Foley bendware thinware with a ten-foot primitive.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-21-08 01:21 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I do have some Foley measuring cups that I picked up the same way I did the spoons. I was wondering if they could be the same manufacturer.

Yikes again.

Foley?

That cheap flimy stuff that bends?

housewolf  (1000+ posts)        Sun Dec-21-08 04:22 PM

5. These aren't exactly what you're looking for but I recently bought these - they're similar but heavier and not old. My mom had a set like the ones you are looking for years and years ago, but they've disappeared over the years. I always like them, and even recently have preferred a set of plastic ones that are rectangular in shape rather than the traditional rounds ones. I love the new set - 7 sizes instead of the traditional 4.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=7067 

Oh man.

More plastic aficinados.

Doesn't anyone like stout hearty strong kitchen utensils any more?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

Re: primitives measure spoons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »
1 US cup = 16 tablespoons
1 tablespoon = 1/16 of a US cup (0.0625 cups)
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: primitives measure spoons
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
1 US cup = 16 tablespoons
1 tablespoon = 1/16 of a US cup (0.0625 cups)

I dunno; you know, I wouldn't put plastic in my silverware drawer any more than I'd use the silverware drawer for a cat litter box.

Regrettably, it appears there are some primitives with no taste, no class.
apres moi, le deluge