Author Topic: Poll: titles  (Read 1444 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Poll: titles
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
As we all know, the rule in most of the other forums is that the title of the posted thread must match the title of the news article, which makes sense, and generally people adhere to it.

However, here in the DUmpster and the DUmping Ground, there is no rule about titles.

It's not a big problem, but today there occurred two instances where our esteemed friend and colleague USA4ME had posted something yesterday, and franksolich posted the same bonfire from Skins's island today.

They had utterly different titles, no similarities.

But the same two bonfires.

Now, my own personal opinion, for whatever it's worth, I don't think this is much of a problem, if a problem at all--and remember, I'm the guy who has to find and merge the things when they happen. 

We've been around since January, almost a year now, and I think I've merged perhaps six or eight threads; it doesn't happen a whole lot.

I would feel inhibited, less than creative, hog-tied, lassoed, corralled, put out, if I couldn't make up my own titles, but being an adult, hence a non-primitive, I'm happy to live with what the public wants.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Poll: titles
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
My $0.02

So long as the created title is recognizable..

If one is browsing DU for threads and finds a good rich vein of stupid , then glances at the threads in the DUmpster here , it should be possible( knowing the contents of the DU thread) to determine at a glance if a thread is already here/ what thread is what.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
My $0.02

If one is browsing DU for threads and finds a good rich vein of stupid , then glances at the threads in the DUmpster here , it should be possible( knowing the contents of the DU thread) to determine at a glance if a thread is already here/ what thread is what.

That is pretty much how I feel.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
I think it should be however Frank and Chris prefer.  I'd hate to stifle any of their creativity when it comes to this forum.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »
I agree with LC and Freedumb.  Therefore, H5s to them.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »
If they're creative/funny, I don't mind them.  I've seen some really good ones around here.  I don't plan on making any rules unless it becomes a problem, which hasn't happened yet.

One thing I would like to ask is that if you're reporting duplicate threads, please include links to each thread in your report.  Having to go looking for the other thread can be a pain.  (This goes for all forms)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »
My $0.02

Agreed.  Sometimes it's a little obscure, the actual title, so I make up a little something and then put the DUer, if it's a prominent poster, in ( )

:)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
I have found now and then that the thread title at the DUmp is too long to appear here and will be cut off.
To go with that there is also the need to note occasionally who the poster is in the thread title here,TiT,UP,greenbriar and so on so folks know that it is the highest form of insane stupidity being displayed

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:44:38 PM »
If they're creative/funny, I don't mind them.  I've seen some really good ones around here.  I don't plan on making any rules unless it becomes a problem, which hasn't happened yet.

One thing I would like to ask is that if you're reporting duplicate threads, please include links to each thread in your report.  Having to go looking for the other thread can be a pain.  (This goes for all forms)

Yeah, nobody suggested changing, but I wondered.

If you're looking for the USA4ME/franksolich duplicates, I already took care of.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
I agree with LC and Freedumb.  Therefore, H5s to them.

H5s for piggy backing on someone else's post are the sweetest of all :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
I'm not big on rigid rulez in the first place, I think the important thing is just that it be recognizable instead of something uninformative like "Hey, check THIS one out!"  The only two forums where I think it matters at all are Breaking News and The DUmpster. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:54:12 AM »
It's not a big problem, but today there occurred two instances where our esteemed friend and colleague USA4ME had posted something yesterday, and franksolich posted the same bonfire from Skins's island today.

They had utterly different titles, no similarities.

But the same two bonfires.

Thank you, frank, that was very kind of you.  I personally have no preference of how people name thread titles.

I do have a question:  If someone notices two duplicate threads, do you want it to be made known to you or Chris via PM, or is that something you make an effort to look for and would prefer to not be informed?  Personally I would rather have the same DU thread topic in one thread here, but I'm certainly not going to make as issue of it if others want several on the same topic.

Speaking for myself, if you do happen to find two or more threads that are the same and one of them is mine, if I'm the one who posted first, don't feel compelled to make mine the prominent post.  IOW just stack them however is easiest for you.  It's a nice gesture on the part of the one doing the combining, but I'm betting most people here don't really care that much if another were to get top billing.

Thanks for all you mods do.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Thank you, frank, that was very kind of you.  I personally have no preference of how people name thread titles.

I do have a question:  If someone notices two duplicate threads, do you want it to be made known to you or Chris via PM, or is that something you make an effort to look for and would prefer to not be informed?  Personally I would rather have the same DU thread topic in one thread here, but I'm certainly not going to make as issue of it if others want several on the same topic.

Speaking for myself, if you do happen to find two or more threads that are the same and one of them is mine, if I'm the one who posted first, don't feel compelled to make mine the prominent post.  IOW just stack them however is easiest for you.  It's a nice gesture on the part of the one doing the combining, but I'm betting most people here don't really care that much if another were to get top billing.

Thanks for all you mods do.

Trust me, I don't go around looking for duplicate threads.

Chris asked that one provide the links if one spots duplicate threads, which is good of course, but if one informs me in a personal message, the links aren't necessary.  My esteemed colleague Chris has a life and a whole lot of other things going on; I've got no life, and so have time to look around.

However one wishes to do it.

Chris and I have no control over which of two duplicate threads get "top billing;" it's something done automatically by the software, which gives top billing to the earlier of the two threads.
apres moi, le deluge