Author Topic: More Checkbook Stupity That's Someone Elses Fault: So apparently it’s legal...  (Read 1561 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8142491

pookieblue (478 posts)      Sat Oct-04-08 12:49 PM
Original message
So apparently it’s legal for a company
So apparently it’s legal for a company to just take money out of your checking account at their leisure.

Okay, yes I know I did owe the money. It was a fee for a returned check. What had happened is that I didn’t deposit the money on time. I called them to let them know before they knew. They were like “oh it’s fine we will run the check through again.”

I was not told about a fee. I figured, if they did, they would just bill me. Well I was wrong. They went in two weeks after the check was cleared and took the $30.00 from account! Without calling and letting me know. Without sending me a letter in the mail. In the meantime, I was not making any debits to my account as I was using cash. I try to only pay bills with my checking account. Well…I thought I had the money in my account according to my checkbook. So I made two purchases with my debit card. Turns out that I did not have the money in my account, knology debited the money. So now not only am I short $30.00 but an additional $75.00 in bank fees.

I call the bank, and I was told that it’s legal for a company to go in and take the money from your account w/out letting you know. Without your authorization. And they won’t will not refund the fees since my account is new. Even though I told him, that I did NOT authorize this debit from Knology. Had I known I would have made sure I had the money for this in my account. But I did not know..so therefore…it caused some major issues.

NOW I am short $100.00 to pay my bills because of this.

They did tell me to call Knology..and I have been on hold for the last 20mins. Though I know I won’t get anywhere with this.

I am going to the bank in person on Monday and talk to a supervisor there. I don’t think it’s fair for me to be penalized for something I had no clue about. Knology did not inform me that they were doing this. As I said yes I know I owe the money. However, I still think it’s theft for someone..even a company to have access to your account. Using your checking account number from a previous purchase.
If someone owed me money, could I just take it from their account? Would the bank let me write up a check using their account number? No.

So why do the corporations get to do this?

*edited to add*

I was going to pay the (30.00) bill with this week. it was not like I was not going to pay it. I just had to get my meds and put gas in the car with my last paycheck. plus pay other bills.....oh and food.

Knology: Telephone, Cable, Internet.

If money is so tight, moron, ditch the high speed and the digital cable.

Or keep track of your account and own your own farging mistakes. 

Or:

pookieblue (478 posts)      Sat Oct-04-08 01:28 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. not that I expect anything to happen...
 but I just wrote everyone of my senators and congressmen..both on the Fed Level and State. And the Governor.
:rotf:

I told them that I thought there should be at least some sort of system in place to protect the customer.

As a result of the this company going into my account without my authoriztion and without even notifying me (no phone call no letter) and taking the money...I'm now short money to pay for other things. (due to fees).

However, if the company owed us money we would have to wait for gosh knows how long to get the money back. we just can't go in there and take it.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:10:21 PM by asdf2231 »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Every place I have ever seen that takes checks has a notice saying that by writing a check you authorize them to take that fee if it bounces. But they are so much more aware of the world than us knuckledragging freepers  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Is it too much to ask that these idiots at least try to write coherantly?...sheesh.

This is stupid on so many levels and is the perfect example as to why they are called DUmmies.
When you open a checking account it is spelled out that you must have funds to cover any withdrawls whether it is from an ATM or a written check.
I made the mistake once 20 years ago and overdrafted,made the mistake of not calculating in the monthly use charge.
The bank covered the few dollars and charged me.
I learned and never made that mistake again.

For the record and don`t advise anyone else to do the same but I have not kept a ledger since...I know what I deposit and what I use while keeping a sufficient balance to deal with any variables.

It isn`t hard to deal with a checking account but you have to educate yourself as to what "float" is and the time frame.
Dummies are all about me me me and whatever they want at the moment so is no surprise that it constantly trips them up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:13:53 PM by Carl »

Offline jukin

With the minor democrat mess of fannie/freddie coming to a nasty head, elections, and the actual business of being a senator or congressperson.....I'm sure they will get right on the DUmbass that has a $30 fee. :loser:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
Is overdraft protection really that hard to get now? You can have it draw from a line of credit, your savings account or even a credit card I think. I had a line of credit I used for overdraft protection for 20 years but changed that a while back to draw from savings. Unless someone has totally jacked their credit getting overdraft protection shouldnt be a big deal.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
From this garbled mess, it is impossible for anyone to know what the DUmmy is trying to say. Overdraft fees, automatic withdrawal utilities, debit card transactions, and checks, all mixed up in a confusing stew that is surely spiced with lies. I feel sorry for the poor customer service people who have to deal with this pinhead.

If his written description is this addled, can you imagine how bad it must be to hear it over the phone?

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
And I wonder how many times this dummie has posted about how stupid Sarah Palin might be. 

Really, this person is pretty typical of most of the dummies, yes?  While Sarah Palin is running a state, raising five kids, and campaigning to be vice president of the US, those idiots are wondering why some company is taking $30 out of their bank account.

:wtf3:

Offline comradebillyboy

There are severe penalties for willful ignorance and stupidity.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Her account couldn't be overdrawn. She still had blank checks left. [DUmmy mode off]
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Is overdraft protection really that hard to get now? You can have it draw from a line of credit, your savings account or even a credit card I think. I had a line of credit I used for overdraft protection for 20 years but changed that a while back to draw from savings. Unless someone has totally jacked their credit getting overdraft protection shouldnt be a big deal.
You have to have something with which to protect it -- these people are the people who can barely keep their checkbook in the black, much less have houses or LOCs.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
To be fair, my bank just changed policies on me.  I had deposited a check in the morning, not realizing they'd put a TWO-day hold on it for not being drawn on the same bank.

I have a car loan taken by automatic withdrawl the next day.  Money's not there (supposedly) so my bank pays the auto withdrawl and charges me $25 for overdraft. 

But a simple (civil!) phone call and understanding of the new policy, and they were gracious enough to take the fee off this time. 

Live and learn, DUmmies.  Oh, and being polite and professional goes a LONG way.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
To be fair, my bank just changed policies on me.  I had deposited a check in the morning, not realizing they'd put a TWO-day hold on it for not being drawn on the same bank.

I have a car loan taken by automatic withdrawl the next day.  Money's not there (supposedly) so my bank pays the auto withdrawl and charges me $25 for overdraft. 

But a simple (civil!) phone call and understanding of the new policy, and they were gracious enough to take the fee off this time. 

Live and learn, DUmmies.  Oh, and being polite and professional goes a LONG way.

"Civil" is the key word. Those folks can't do that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

I bet the hold was due to not only the check not drawn on your bank but the amount of the check. Actually by law they do have to make some of that money available by the next business day(that may be state law)
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.