Author Topic: PDS: Help! I'm trapped in a red state and I can't get out!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
PDS: Help! I'm trapped in a red state and I can't get out!
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4159382

honkydonkey (52 posts)      Fri Oct-03-08 09:37 AM
Original message
Help! I'm trapped in a red state and I can't get out!
So far all I have seen and heard from the people in my area is how wonderful Sarah did last night. On the internet all I see is GO SARAH and Way 2 go Sarah, pro life! BLAH BLAH BLAH! I am surrounded by idiots and all I want to do is LEAVE this place but I'm stuck here because of the housing crisis. If I see one more Yipppeee for Sarah on facebook or on our local television stations I am afraid that my head might explode. At least that would put me out of my misery! And what gets me is that these idiots keep on voting republican because they are anti-abortion. HELLO REPUBLICANS Neo-Cons...You have put Bush in the white house for eight years and guess what? Abortion is still legal and hopefully will remain that way. I think these rednecks would vote for a damn goat if you stuck a pro-life sticker on it.
I think we should start a fund for people who are trying to escape red states.

honkydonkey (52 posts)      Fri Oct-03-08 10:53 AM
Response to Reply #6
10. Kentucky Native....sshhhh, don't tell anybody.
 I really believe the change that has happened here began not all that long ago. The county I live in has ALWAYS heavily favored democrats. It all started to change when the churches started preaching politics from the pulpits. These people will vote for the republican party because they believe if they don't, they'll go to hell. Plain and simple. I used to be somewhat proud of my state but now all I want to do is leave and get out of the Bible belt. I'm a Christian myself but I have common sense golly gosh darn it to heck! blah.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-03-08 10:24 AM
Response to Reply #3
9. You have my sympathy
 Edited on Fri Oct-03-08 10:26 AM by Warpy
I fled the south many, many years ago for much the same reason but mostly because I just couldn't cope with the culture down there. I've managed to live in every other region but the west coast, even red regions, without much trouble. All regions, even the northeast, have their pockets of religious wingnuttery and collections of inbreds, so that's not it. It's the culture. Some of us just can't manage to cope with living there.

(for all those here passionately devoted to Dixie, it's not right or wrong but it is very, very different from the rest of the country)

Just keep your passport current and wait for a chance to escape. Explore housing exchanges, a way for people to swap housing of equivalent value in different regions when they can't afford to sell. There might be a displaced Kentuckian out there who wants to come home or a hopeless romantic who wants to leave gritty LA for the purity of the Appalachians. All is not lost.

Also realize that some of the people spouting bumper stickers are doing so just to get along. Not everybody in Kentucky will vote for Gidget and The Geezer. They're just not going to stick their necks out.
  :whatever:

honkydonkey (52 posts)      Fri Oct-03-08 11:02 AM
Response to Reply #9
12. That just hit the nail on the head! 
 It is the culture of the south that turns my stomach so much. Not to mention that racism is alive and well in my area. I just can't deal with it much longer. Thank you for the ideas on real estate. Maybe there is some poor sap that would want to be here. It is beautiful where I live. I own a small farm. It gives me the privacy that I crave but when my child comes home and tells me that she can't say anything about Obama to her friends because they will quit speaking to her...I want to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible.

I live 15 miles away from one of the biggest Cesspools of Liberalism in America. I bleed for you.  I just won't say from where. DUmmy.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: PDS: Help! I'm trapped in a red state and I can't get out!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
Response to Reply #9
 It is the culture of the south that turns my stomach so much. Not to mention that racism is alive and well in my area. I just can't deal with it much longer. Thank you for the ideas on real estate. Maybe there is some poor sap that would want to be here. It is beautiful where I live. I own a small farm. It gives me the privacy that I crave but when my child comes home and tells me that she can't say anything about Obama to her friends because they will quit speaking to her...I want to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible.

Bouncy bouncy....
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »
I'm also about 15 miles from a liberal cesspool (Philly) that has declared open war on the police. Six police officers have been murdered in two years directly due to liberal judges letting criminals out so early. Will anything change electorially? Of course not. They'll still vote in the democrats who coddle the judges who allow the criminals to walk free.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
Response to Reply #9

Bouncy bouncy....

I'm thinking moley moley.....
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »

I live 15 miles away from one of the biggest Cesspools of Liberalism in America. I'll bleed for you, DUmmy cocksucker.  I just won't say from where. DUmmy.

Fixorated. :II:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »
Response to Reply #9

Bouncy bouncy....

I'm thinking moley moley.....

Me too