Current Events > The DUmpster

I'm living the Republican agenda in Texas.

(1/4) > >>

dutch508:

--- Quote ---Star Member hamsterjill (11,909 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215539272

This post is meant as a warning. Because the idiots who have done this in Texas are not going to stop at the state border. I’m living the Republican agenda, and it may very well kill me. Which is exactly what the Republicans want.

I have been jobless since the pandemic began. No, please don’t send me suggestions of where to look for jobs. Because I’ve been searching since day one. Actively. Earnestly. Seriously.

Abbott is cutting the pandemic unemployment in another week. I am going to be forced to take a job where I will literally be making less than one-half what I was making pre-pandemic. Why? Because even if there are jobs available, there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.

Once I am forced to take the shit job, I won’t be making enough to cover my expenses. I won’t be able to continue to look and interview because I’ll need to be on premises at the shitty job all the time in order to make as much as I possibly can. So, I’ll be stuck. I’m too old to work more than one job. My body won’t handle that.

I stand to lose everything. Fall to my knees and weep? Every day.

The stress alone will probably kill me. That’s fine with the Republicans. Less SSI coming out of the coffers.

This is the Republican agenda. This is the outcome that Ronald Reagan wanted. They win. I give up.

Short of Stacy Abrams and Beto O’Rourke, I don’t see Democrats fighting for change. You can disagree with me. That’s fine. But I don’t see fire and fight. I see rhetoric and acquiescing. I see big ideas getting watered down to nothing. I see capitulation. I see stupidity.

Where in the hell do we go from here? I don’t have the fight left. Does anyone else? Give me some hope. Please. Give me some hope.
--- End quote ---

:thatsright:

--- Quote ---Star Member jmbar2 (2,185 posts)

1. I am SO sorry you are in this situation

I left Texas 5 years ago because it scared me to grow old there. (In Oregon now). I now enjoy Oregon state health insurance, which was a huge motivator. However, housing is expensive and hard to find.

I don't know what your skillset is, but to paraphrase an old joke, on the internet, they don't know you are old. There has been a growth of online, remote shit jobs since the pandemic, and your age may be less of a barrier. (Check out Indeed.com remote job listings).

I was seeing the writing on the walls 10 years ago, being in the same boat. I taught myself how to daytrade. It took a long time, I lost a lot during the learning phase, but it now provides a small supplement to my social security. If that holds any interest for you, DM me and I'll share how to get started.

Hang in there and don't give up.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member Nay (11,630 posts)

4. Cheap RV Living on YouTube

You are obviously totally stressed for very good reasons. I've included a link for you -- it may be undoable for you, or completely unpalatable to you, but this video (1-5) and the second that follows (6-10) talks about what to do (whether you choose to do it temporarily or semi-permanently) when disaster truly looms.

My hubby and I have always kept this option in reserve -- we traveled in a 1964 schoolbus converted to a camper from out West to the East, with a tiny baby and very little money. We lived in it for months.

Even if you feel you don't want to try this, maybe watch just the videos that are relevant to your situation right now.

I hope things get better for you soon!

P.S. Please feel free to send me A DU Mail message if you have any questions.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member Hortensis (46,099 posts)

19. Your dilemma is new to you, but others have always faced it.

The current problem of Democrats in office as always full of wonderful plans and as always eager to carry them out -- except that voters didn't give them enough power -- is the usual one and pretty much explains it all.

So, your job is to take care of yourself. If you really don't see yourself returning to your previous state of wellbeing, figurer out the life you want to live with less means and go for it. We were both industry-downturned into too-early retirements and have already downscaled to much lesser means, but are happy in retirement. In this portion of life, we go where our kids and my husband's fishing take us but make sure there's still gardening stuff for me.

You may not be ready to consider it, but if you're fortunate enough to have a house you can't afford to keep, maybe start thinking of selling it? Soon? If that's in the future, do it proactively before you're in a hole. It's a seller's market now too. If possible invest at least some of it to give even a little income and/or growth.

The possibility of living in an RV is already suggested  , so I'll leap in with my tried-and-loved alternate way of existence: a MH on land in a pleasant neighborhood or in a park. We've had one on a canal off Tampa Bay with every convenience a bike ride away and one surrounded by wilderness marsh. I feel really sorry for people who down-scale their living to dreary low-end apartment houses in dreary neighborhoods, when they could have a much better lifestyle by choosing first for the most appealing location and neighbors they can afford.

Nice parks aren't full of poor people. MH's are extremely comfortable and economical and can be remodeled to suit. You can have space to garden or make sure you never have to again. Btw, for our vacation homes so far, we've chosen to own the land outright or as part of a cooperative, rather than paying lot rent. Renting while you decide where to end up is of course an economical option. Just a thought, but you have to live somewhere and should examine all possibilities.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---keithbvadu2 (21,067 posts)

25. Become a Trumper and you'll have the faith!

Become a Trumper and you'll have the faith!

Become an AMWAY acolyte, sell products and convince others to sell under you.
You'll do great.

(Although the real AMWAY wealth is made by selling pep rallies and motivational supplies to the rubes at the bottom.)
--- End quote ---

::)

--- Quote ---czarjak (4,674 posts)

28. The cruelty is the point for them.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member jalan48 (11,787 posts)

31. Abbott is getting his marching orders from the uber-capitalists that put him in office. These folks

are telling us you will work for what we tell you. Reagan pushed hard against the unions and it's been a decline in membership since the 80's. Without an "identity politics" of the working class things are only going to get worse.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member treestar (78,669 posts)

66. The Democrats are dealing with the republicans

The ones you are living this way because of, you claim. Then you proceed to put them down. Beto is not even in office and he gets credit.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member carpetbagger (3,228 posts)

69. We just don't have the votes.

I lived in Florida from 2007 to 2020 before returning. Lots more fight with Texas Dems.
--- End quote ---

:yawn:

SVPete:
Taxpayers are supposed to subsidize Rodent-Jill’s search for a “good enough” job?

A little contrasting personal history … the Dot-Bomb started in 2000. I was laid off in late 2001, after 9/11 compounded the downturn/recession. I searched and sent out resumes daily, for nearly 9 months. When I got a job offer at $12,000 a year less than the 5-figure salary from which I was laid off (i.e. not a minor 12K less than a middle 6-figures salary), I took it. It took 3 jobs and over 10 years to get back to the salary I was earning in late 2001. Other than the normal UEI - insurance for which I had paid (along with my employers) - I didn’t try to get on government social programs.

Taxpayers have subsidized Rodent-Jill’s pride long enough. Why do I suspect that her job skills aren’t enormously greater than entry level?

Texacon:

--- Quote --- Star Member hamsterjill (11,909 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215539272

This post is meant as a warning. Because the idiots who have done this in Texas are not going to stop at the state border. I’m living the Republican agenda, and it may very well kill me. Which is exactly what the Republicans want.

I have been jobless since the pandemic began. No, please don’t send me suggestions of where to look for jobs. Because I’ve been searching since day one. Actively. Earnestly. Seriously.

Abbott is cutting the pandemic unemployment in another week. I am going to be forced to take a job where I will literally be making less than one-half what I was making pre-pandemic. Why? Because even if there are jobs available, there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.

Once I am forced to take the shit job, I won’t be making enough to cover my expenses. I won’t be able to continue to look and interview because I’ll need to be on premises at the shitty job all the time in order to make as much as I possibly can. So, I’ll be stuck. I’m too old to work more than one job. My body won’t handle that.

I stand to lose everything. Fall to my knees and weep? Every day.

The stress alone will probably kill me. That’s fine with the Republicans. Less SSI coming out of the coffers.

This is the Republican agenda. This is the outcome that Ronald Reagan wanted. They win. I give up.

Short of Stacy Abrams and Beto O’Rourke, I don’t see Democrats fighting for change. You can disagree with me. That’s fine. But I don’t see fire and fight. I see rhetoric and acquiescing. I see big ideas getting watered down to nothing. I see capitulation. I see stupidity.

Where in the hell do we go from here? I don’t have the fight left. Does anyone else? Give me some hope. Please. Give me some hope.

--- End quote ---

So, DUmmie just inadvertently admitted what we’ve been saying all along. As long as the expanded benefits are there, DUmmie didn’t need to work, and didn’t.

Now DUmmie is going back to being a productive member of society. Good.

KC

thundley4:

--- Quote --- there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.
--- End quote ---

So!  Texas is fully open, right?  Why didn't this DUmmie's former employer rehire them?

I'm guessing they used some BS excuse about being afraid to work because of the pandemic and voluntarily left their job for the easy money of unemployment. Bitch got use to the high rolling lifestyle funded by taxpayers and don't want a pay cut from getting unemployment.

Texacon:

--- Quote from: thundley4 on June 19, 2021, 10:15:06 AM ---So!  Texas is fully open, right?  Why didn't this DUmmie's former employer rehire them?

I'm guessing they used some BS excuse about being afraid to work because of the pandemic and voluntarily left their job for the easy money of unemployment. Bitch got use to the high rolling lifestyle funded by taxpayers and don't want a pay cut from getting unemployment.

--- End quote ---

That is exactly what happened to a few of my employees. They claimed fear, then told us to call them back when the expanded benefits ended. Nope. Last I heard they were all still looking for a job. Don’t care. They left me in a bind.

These were people earning between $15/hour and $19/hour.

KC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version