Author Topic: Let's discuss second-guessing the CDC...  (Read 890 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Let's discuss second-guessing the CDC...
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »
Star Member brooklynite (70,066 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215429299

For the past year, we've been calling out people who questioned or disputed the science-based directives on how to deal with the COVID pandemic (sheltering at home, avoiding groups, wearing masks, hand-washing etc.). Yesterday, CDC updated their guidance on the need to wear masks in most cases. What did we get?

My humble opinion. CDC is lifting Mask and social distancing too soon.

Why didn't the CDC just say if your state hits 70% vaccination

Thoughts pls on the CDC just saying fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks...

You are free to wear a mask, or continue staying and working at home if you want to. But if you're questioning the timing and guidance from the scientists, perhaps ask yourself why?

:yawn:

Star Member Sherman A1 (33,739 posts)

1. Perhaps people are questioning the revised guidance

out of genuine concern for their safety and the safety of their loved ones. People have every right to do so without being second guessed.

and I would add this......

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215429282

Star Member Demsrule86 (53,265 posts)

2. Well you can't complain about the other side questioning the CDC if we do it too...

:rotf:

Star Member Hugin (28,227 posts)

8. The other side wasn't questioning the CDC's guidelines...

They were actively dictating what those guidelines should be.

I know it's a nuance, but, that is why people who put caution above convenience are cautiously approaching the new guidelines.

Star Member Mister Ed (4,012 posts)

3. My guess as to the reason for wariness:

There's always room for concern that a government agency like this is being influenced not purely by science, but also by political pressure.

The pressure exerted on the CDC by the Trump administration was heavy-handed and plain to see. There's every reason to believe that the Biden administration would not exert political pressure on the CDC, but I imagine that for many, some residual wariness may remain.

Captain Stern (1,799 posts)

6. We always trust the science.....

.....when it agrees with what we already think.

Other times, maybe not so much.

Star Member womanofthehills (5,512 posts)

51. What's "the science" ????

So CDC says vaccinated don’t need masks just when new more spreadable variants from India arrive in US and the variants might to some degree evade vaccines. Science?? Hello? England is dealing with this right now with the B.1.617.2 variant.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, the technical lead of the World Health Organization’s coronavirus response, said a study of a limited number of patients, which had not yet been peer-reviewed, suggested that antibodies from vaccines or infections with other variants might not be quite as effective against B.1.617. The agency said, however, that vaccines were likely to remain potent enough to provide protection from serious illness and death.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/world/uk-covid-india.html

Bullfeathers (12 posts)

9. I plan on

Wearing my mask 😷 indefinitely when I use public transporting or go shopping. I haven’t been sick in a year and I like it LOL

Star Member EarlG (18,508 posts)

10. Is it fair to say that

this has been a really tough, scary year for everyone, and maybe it’s going to take a little time before people are psychologically ready to “get back to normal?”

I think there is something to the fact that for the past year, it’s been really easy to tell the difference between who is taking the pandemic seriously and who isn’t. If you’re masked, you’re a good citizen; if you’re not, you’re a selfish maskhole. People don’t want to be perceived as selfish maskholes.

So it’s not going to be a smooth transition from wearing masks to not wearing masks. There will be some natural friction between the science which shows that vaccinated people are almost entirely protected, vs. the social situation that the pandemic created.

Plus, it’s not that easy to let go of fears you’ve been living with for more than a year. Without wishing to make any kind of diagnosis (I’m not a psychologist), perhaps when folks on this board question the CDC’s new guidelines it comes less from a place of anti-science, and more from a place of anxiety, maybe even a little PTSD. We’ve all been through hell this past year, and what it’s done to us psychologically still remains to be seen. It’s going to take a little time before everyone is ready to get back to “normal.”

Edited to add: I count myself in this group. I’m as pro-science as they come, and rushed to get the vaccine as soon as it was available. I’m not opposed to the CDC’s guidelines. But even when I’m officially fully vaccinated in two weeks, the thought of taking my mask off in public spaces like the grocery store still makes me feel uncomfortable. I’ll get over it, but it’s going to take a little bit of time.

:whatever:

Star Member boston bean (33,833 posts)

19. So, we are guinea pigs again. They have no idea about variants or what this new recommendation

Means risks are for the general public as there are so many unvaccinated. They really do not.

We shall see.

TraceNC (93 posts)

30. False equivalence.

At least when it comes to motive and intentions.

The covid deniers, anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, etc. were questioning the CDC and putting the health and lives of others at risk.

People questioning the CDC over relaxing the mask guidance are erring on the side of caution, for their own protection and that of others.

I think it’s a stretch to put those in the second group along with the first group whose motivation is all about “you’re not the boss of me” and “my liberty is being trampled!”

::)

Star Member doc03 (27,602 posts)

38. The CDC and President Biden say if you are

vaccinated you no longer need to wear one. That's good enough for me the mask is gone

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

Re: Let's discuss second-guessing the CDC...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
CDC guidelines: Masks are not needed by the general public, save them for the front line workers.

On second thought, President Trump has managed to get a surplus of masks available in a short time, wear masks.

The science is settled. The CDC is a political tool of the Democrats.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
Star Member brooklynite (70,066 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215429299

For the past year, we've been calling out people who questioned or disputed the science-based directives on how to deal with the COVID pandemic (sheltering at home, avoiding groups, wearing masks, hand-washing etc.). Yesterday, CDC updated their guidance on the need to wear masks in most cases. What did we get?

Why didn't the CDC just say if your state hits 70% vaccination

Thoughts pls on the CDC just saying fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks...

You are free to wear a mask, or continue staying and working at home if you want to. But if you're questioning the timing and guidance from the scientists, perhaps ask yourself why?
People have been second-guessing the authorities because the "science-based directives" have frequently been entangled in politics. Fauci once said that masks would be ineffective. People called his bluff. School-related guidelines were obviously being influenced by teachers unions. And finally, the CDC didn't lift its mask recommendations until Joe Biden was having a shitty couple of weeks politically.

And yet, some wonder why everyone doesn't trust the science the authorities charged with conveying science to the public.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 06:45:45 PM »
Bullfeathers (12 posts)

9. I plan on

Wearing my mask 😷 indefinitely when I use public transporting or go shopping.

Well bless your heart.  After all, your body, your choice, but that's a 2 way street and don't even think about mocking to shaming anyone you see without a mask.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »
Basically, they want their cake and eat it, too. They wrap themselves in the mantle of “science” except when their feelings and fears say otherwise. And then they rationalize (rather poorly, I might add) that their fear supersedes the very science they claim is the end all to be all.

And Lord Marblehead’s confession about believing the science but still being anxious betrays everything they’ve been trying claim for years. He just admitted they’re lead by emotions and not logic.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 08:23:28 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 08:37:25 PM »
People have been second-guessing the authorities because the "science-based directives" have frequently been entangled in politics. Fauci once said that masks would be ineffective. People called his bluff. School-related guidelines were obviously being influenced by teachers unions. And finally, the CDC didn't lift its mask recommendations until Joe Biden was having a shitty couple of weeks politically.

And yet, some wonder why everyone doesn't trust the science the authorities charged with conveying science to the public.

They are only bent over and pissed because they are losing their power to force something onto you, the thing that THEY want. That's all it is...  a delusional state of mind, now scared of their own shadows, and already freaking out over the next virus that might exist in the future.  They are tyrants, they get off telling other people what to do. They believe they are superior. It's a pretty simple thing to recognize most times.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 09:04:43 PM »
Quote from: DUmmy

Fine, stay at home away from functioning society.  Which is pretty much what you did before the Wuhan anyway.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:05:16 AM »
Especially for DU Costco- and Trader-Joe's-Lovers:

Walmart, Costco, Trader Joes say vaccinated customers will no longer have to wear masks in stores

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/walmart-costco-trader-joes-say-vaccinated-customers-will-no-longer-have

Retail giant Walmart revealed on Friday that it "would no longer require vaccinated workers and shoppers to wear masks in stores and warehouses outside of municipalities that require it," the Wall Street Journal reported.

Employees will have to confirm their vaccinated status during health screenings. It is unclear how vaccination will be confirmed with customers.

Costco and Trader Joe's made similar announcements on Friday. Both chains confirmed that they will not require proof of vaccination before allowing maskless customers to shop.

I think the chances of Walmart asking people entering their stores for proof of vax are pretty much zero, zip, and nada. People won't put up with it. And if the big guys won't ask for proof, few others will.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »

Walmart, Costco, Trader Joes say vaccinated customers will no longer have to wear masks in stores

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/walmart-costco-trader-joes-say-vaccinated-customers-will-no-longer-have

I think the chances of Walmart asking people entering their stores for proof of vax are pretty much zero, zip, and nada. People won't put up with it. And if the big guys won't ask for proof, few others will.

And as the Babylon Bee recently suggested, if a person is not vaccinated they can just identify as vaccinated.  That's tossing liberal logic back at them.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 10:02:21 AM »
And as the Babylon Bee recently suggested, if a person is not vaccinated they can just identify as vaccinated.  That's tossing liberal logic back at them.

absolutely brilliant

Police lives matter.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 10:31:25 AM »

They are known as "transvaxites".   :rotf:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 11:18:48 AM »

While at the gym this AM I saw on BMM that Sam's Club (part of Walmart), Publix, and Starbucks are also opening up except where not allowed by local regs. I'm pretty sure CA's and/or Santa Clara County's regs still require masks, though I haven't checked. I had to wear a mask while in the gym.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
They are only bent over and pissed because they are losing their power to force something onto you, the thing that THEY want. That's all it is...  a delusional state of mind, now scared of their own shadows, and already freaking out over the next virus that might exist in the future.  They are tyrants, they get off telling other people what to do. They believe they are superior. It's a pretty simple thing to recognize most times.

Exactly. To paraphrase Yoda, "Control, control. It's all about control."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:30:45 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
Masks were bullshit from the beginning. ‘Nuff said.

If you wore one, I didn’t care. If you didn’t, I didn’t care. The masks people were wearing were nothing more than a placebo.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 12:16:28 PM »
Masks were bullshit from the beginning. ‘Nuff said.

If you wore one, I didn’t care. If you didn’t, I didn’t care. The masks people were wearing were nothing more than a placebo.

KC

Police lives matter.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »
It's as dumb as a person walking down the street, masked and no other person within 20 yards. Just less comically dumb.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
All the national businesses (Walmart, Starbucks ect) dropping mask mandates indicates they see the writing on the wall, that many people are done messing with masks, and that the struggle to enforce masks isn't worth the ugly viral videos (of morons on both sides of the debate overreacting ridiculously) or the customer losses. 

Any bets on how soon, with these big names moving away from masking, the Minitrue starts gaslighting the gullible and rewriting the history of the assorted mandates and pleas from Darth Fauci to double mask while alone in your house?

Of course, most are saying vaccinated people don't need masks, how to publicly display private medical information....   :confused:

Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 09:00:42 AM »
It's as dumb as a person walking down the street, masked and no other person within 20 yards. Just less comically dumb.

Or going to bed by ones self and putting on a condom.  That's what this mask insanity reminded me of, especially considering libs were wearing their woke masks inside their own homes when they live alone.