Author Topic: UK all-in on voter suppression : Queen announces photo ID requirement  (Read 568 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215416436

bullwinkle428
UK all-in on voter suppression : Queen announces photo ID requirement

Britons will have to show photo ID to vote in future general elections, ministers are poised to confirm this week, as a means of tackling fraud which critics claim could deter poorer and ethnic minority voters from taking part in democracy.

The proposal is to be included in Tuesday’s Queen’s speech, which will set out the government’s post-pandemic priorities and the laws it intends to pass in the forthcoming parliamentary session.

A requirement that all voters carry photo ID could impede people who wish to turn up at polling stations without planning ahead, given about a quarter of voters – often younger voters – do not have either a passport or driving licence, critics say.

The government has previously said people would be able to apply for a voting ID card from their local council, although this would have to be done before polling day. Early trials in some areas led to hundreds of voters being turned away.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/10/queens-speech-photo-id-future-elections-social-care

Let me just take a wild guess ... you’re all for vaccine passports, right?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Aristotelian

I'm not going to side with the DUmmies on this one, but this is part of a creeping authoritarianism on the part of the 'conservative' government - over the past year (at least) they've gone utterly power-mad. In Great Britain there is no evidence whatsoever of personation (a person pretending to be somebody other than who they are in order to vote) on any sort of scale - so voter I.D. is just another big-state intrusion in our lives. In Northern Ireland there was a significant problem with it (organised by the paramilitaries on both sides) and so voter I.D. was a reasonable response, but in the rest of the U.K. this is a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

If they were serious about electoral fraud, they would be looking at the postal vote system which is wide open and undoubtably is the source of significant fraud.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
I'm not going to side with the DUmmies on this one, but this is part of a creeping authoritarianism on the part of the 'conservative' government - over the past year (at least) they've gone utterly power-mad. In Great Britain there is no evidence whatsoever of personation (a person pretending to be somebody other than who they are in order to vote) on any sort of scale - so voter I.D. is just another big-state intrusion in our lives. In Northern Ireland there was a significant problem with it (organised by the paramilitaries on both sides) and so voter I.D. was a reasonable response, but in the rest of the U.K. this is a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

If they were serious about electoral fraud, they would be looking at the postal vote system which is wide open and undoubtably is the source of significant fraud.

Are you talking about the US?  If so, I can offer you multiple examples of real convictions and ongoing cases, right here in Texas of very real voter fraud.  Almost all of it on the democrats side, but you won't hear much about it if you're not in Texas and paying attention.

As to an intrusion on my life; how so?  I have to have an ID to do just about anything I want/need to do at this point anyway.  What would be the intrusion of showing just ONE of those pieces of ID at the polling booth?  Right now in my wallet I have a drivers license, a concealed carry license, and a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC, required by the federal government if you work around the ports and refineries connected to waterways).  Of those 3 ID's that I have to carry with me, 2 are state level, 1 is federal level, and 2 of them required FBI background checks along with fingerprints.

I'm interested in why you feel showing ID to vote would be an intrusion.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Aristotelian

Are you talking about the US?  If so, I can offer you multiple examples of real convictions and ongoing cases, right here in Texas of very real voter fraud.  Almost all of it on the democrats side, but you won't hear much about it if you're not in Texas and paying attention.

No. I'm talking about the U.K. There was a particular problem in Northern Ireland, and voter I.D. was introduced. There has never been any evidence of problems in the rest of the U.K. - which is why I'm opposed to this proposal.

I fully believe you that there are problems with the Dems in the U.S., and if so, voter I.D. there may well be a sensible response. Over here the only problem which needs attention is postal votes (not about to get any attention, not least because of the assumed skin-colour of many of those involved...).

As to an intrusion on my life; how so?  I have to have an ID to do just about anything I want/need to do at this point anyway.  What would be the intrusion of showing just ONE of those pieces of ID at the polling booth?  Right now in my wallet I have a drivers license, a concealed carry license, and a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC, required by the federal government if you work around the ports and refineries connected to waterways).  Of those 3 ID's that I have to carry with me, 2 are state level, 1 is federal level, and 2 of them required FBI background checks along with fingerprints.

I'm interested in why you feel showing ID to vote would be an intrusion.

KC

It's part of the culture here - I never carry I.D. (driving licence and passport sit in my desk at home). But as the government expands and sticks its nose into more and more of our business, it's trying to get us to identify ourselves more and more in the European style.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
No. I'm talking about the U.K. There was a particular problem in Northern Ireland, and voter I.D. was introduced. There has never been any evidence of problems in the rest of the U.K. - which is why I'm opposed to this proposal.

I fully believe you that there are problems with the Dems in the U.S., and if so, voter I.D. there may well be a sensible response. Over here the only problem which needs attention is postal votes (not about to get any attention, not least because of the assumed skin-colour of many of those involved...).

It's part of the culture here - I never carry I.D. (driving licence and passport sit in my desk at home). But as the government expands and sticks its nose into more and more of our business, it's trying to get us to identify ourselves more and more in the European style.

Thanks for the response!  While I absolutely hate how much the government is into our lives (IE; all the ID's and licenses we have to have to live a normal, productive life) I can only see ID as the way to handle the amount of corruption we're seeing at the polls in this country.

What no democrat has ever answered for me is why they are so opposed to the ID's.  When asked and they tell me some are too poor, I ask them how they get their welfare/food stamps/housing/medical/etc., without having an ID.  They usually fall back to, well SOME can't get to the places they need to get the ID due to physical limitations.  First, that won't be very many, second, the states are offering ID's for free and will help you get one.

The left has zero to argue with on voter ID and it's telling.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

What no democrat has ever answered for me is why they are so opposed to the ID's.

They are opposed because it makes it harder to commit fraud. If the last election were on the level, Trump would be serving his second term.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
They are opposed because it makes it harder to commit fraud. If the last election were on the level, Trump would be serving his second term.

Agreed.

KC

*Stolen