Author Topic: having a terrifying experience...  (Read 461 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
having a terrifying experience...
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:19:36 PM »
Star Member Hekate (68,221 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215401558

I'm having a terrifying experience, as my husband is on the phone fighting w our anti-vax daughter

I refuse to talk with her about her obsession, but hubby has been patient.

Tonight — Mother of God — I don’t know what the hell she started with but I think it was how we all got together on Sunday for a 2 y.o. niece’s b’day party and how she now thinks we must have spread disease to her kids because we have been vaccinated for COVID.

It was a fun day, actually — our first social outing in a year. About half the people there are vaccine-hesitant, but hubby and I had our second shot 6 weeks ago & it is such a great feeling. We hugged and everything.

So, tonight. This loud conversation 3 rooms away from me has been going on for at least an hour and my stomach is in knots. Did you know FDR was crippled by ... DDT?

It is completely down the rabbit hole.

I made myself a cup of tea, then realized I needed something a lot stronger, so poured myself a dollop of whiskey on ice.

Any good vibes appreciated. Really. Or prayers to whatever gods are listening. Thank you for listening, my DU friends.

:whatever:

Star Member Beakybird (2,263 posts)

2. Tell her that FDR was crippled as a child, way before the 40's when DDT was invented

Ask her why she won't believe US government epidemiologists, epidemiologists from private universities, nor epidemiologists from world health organizations and instead believes doctors and people with no experience in epidemiology.
So sorry!

:bs:

RockRaven (8,337 posts)

13. Probably should not tell her anything untrue because she will use it to discredit everything said...

FDR was an adult when he got polio, and the subsequent disability. But yes, that was before the 1940s.

DDT was first synthesized in 1874. It's insecticidal properties were not discovered until 1939, so WWII was indeed its first widespread use, which does post-date FDR's disability. But with motivated reasoners, the 1874 date will be the one they focus on. Cognitive dissonance is a sonofabitch.

The_REAL_Ecumenist (525 posts)

35. FDR was 39 years old in 1921 when he contracted Polio, definitely NOT a child. He recovered from

most of the symptoms of the disease but he was permanently paraplegic but you are correct that his disability was not due to DDT.

Star Member GoCubsGo (26,349 posts)

60. Actually, FDR got polio as an adult.

He was 39 at the time, which was in 1921. But, yeah. DDT wasn't around at the time. It's so disheartening that people believe this shit.

see above for DDT shit...

Star Member Irish_Dem (14,113 posts)

5. What disease does she think you spread to her children?

I didn't realize that anti-vaxers thought those vaccinated could spread disease.

The opposite is true however, those who are not vaccinated spread disease.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Damn the GOP for spreading their political crap during a pandemic.

Take some deep breaths. Let hubby deal with her for the time being.
Her insanity is too upsetting to your mental health

Star Member IronLionZion (32,918 posts)

113. People spread complete lies on social media

there was also one about how women shouldn't get the vaccine because they'll bleed to death and the vaccine alters your DNA and gives you COVID and so much more. One of the dumbest ones is that vaccines weaken your natural immune system.

People are the worst. They'll see something shocking and share it so others will see it and share.

119. I know we are not alone, which is why I dared to post this here. I appreciate the support...

It was bad last night, but I’ve packed it away again today.

:yawn:

TomDaisy (688 posts)

14. get on the phone, tell her she's a brat and tell her to shut up

Star Member LakeArenal (17,298 posts)

64. Tell her to quit disrespecting her father.

My dad was a racist Republican.

I loved him and he loved me.

I argued politics with him once where he hung up on me.

I hated myself all night. Next day I apologized. You really can’t change it.
Time is short. My dad was old. It was soon enough that he was gone for good.

My only sibling is cut out for non political reasons. I miss him too and am not sure why he quit speaking to me.

Life is too short to carry all that.

Yes tel her she’s a brat and to go argue with her physician.

Star Member ZonkerHarris (19,107 posts)

21. There should be some changes made to your will. Trusts for grandkids that certain adults cant touch.

:thatsright:

Star Member lostnfound (14,825 posts)

51. Kindest thing she can do for the daughter

Is protect the daughter’s kids from their mother’s temporary insanity.

If her daughter will fall for the nonsense she fell for, she probably is t capable of making rational decisions about how to spend an inheritance. May spend the grandkids’ college funds on snake oil.

Imagine if the daughter was in a cult with suicidal tendencies.

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Star Member SunSeeker (44,574 posts)

22. How did she become an anti-vaxxer with such rational parents?

I fear the internet idiocy will get to my 17 year old. I can't protect him from everything. But I did get him his Pfizer shots!

Star Member MerryBlooms (10,103 posts)

26. Sending good wishes. I know a similar situation, and the 'obsessive' person is bi polar.

Spring is tremendously difficult for bi polar, even though they're taking their meds. The family is at their end after dealing with this sort of thing for 30 years, but the anti vax conspiracy crap is the end. Done. It's 24/7 loop of conspiracy, everyone is gonna die who gets the vax, women are gonna be sterile, etc... Tell him to stop, he can't, he can't stop. The family is looking into transitional housing for this person. They love him, but the guy needs way more help then they can provide, plus, he's making their lives miserable; the neighbors on the block are complaining. A lot of these conspiracy theory anti vax people Are mentally ill and need help. Same with the Election Was Stolen, people. They may be taking their meds, but this time of year they need adjustments.

How far away are the leftist just saying everyone who disagrees with them is mentally ill and then locking them up?

Star Member SergeStorms (10,917 posts)

31. I'd hit that bottle one more time.

It does absolutely no good to argue with these people. They've all painted themselves into a corner on this, and even if there was some concrete argument that disproved everything they previously thought, they'd never admit it.
I suggest meditation, maybe yoga if you're able, but worry is counterproductive and only weakens your immunity to disease.
You've done all you can do, and she's going to believe whatever fits within the narrow framework of her worldview. You can't save them all, even your children. Get a good night's sleep.
Star Member JohnnyRingo (15,908 posts)

32. I'm so sorry.

I can't help thinking that none of this would have happened if Donald Trump had stuck to his New York grift and didn't infect half the country.

:o

John Fante (3,476 posts)

39. He is absolutely to blame for this.

He started the COVID denying and the reich-wing media ecosystem aped him. Online trolls did the rest.

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Star Member C Moon (9,465 posts)

33. Thanks for sharing this. I think we've all been through something similar with friends /family

since this whole Trump attempt at overthrowing out country began.
It's so difficult to see people we know can be so naive.

I guess we know now how it happened in Nazi Germany.

Star Member DFW (42,490 posts)

55. It's stupefying how reasonable parents can have unreasonable children

But it can and obviously does happen. At this point, it sounds like you would do well to set up trusts for the grandchildren. Leave your daughter what you want, but realize that it will be partially be budgeted for tin foil.

If either of our daughters or either of our nephews ever became like that, we would be tearing our own hair out in frustration.

Star Member obamanut2012 (20,322 posts)

63. There is no point -- she won;t believe any of it

She will say The Cabal or the Galactics are spreading misinformation.

My GF's mother has believed this garbage for years, it predates Trump and Q, and it's part literal Nazi Blood Libel stuff and partly that cult where that woman's mummy was just found in NM.

They need deprogramming, and medical facts won;t help do that.

My GF has been no contact with her mother for almost a year now, and it's the happiest she's been in her entire life.

Star Member malaise (228,499 posts)

67. I have one nephew who doesn't want to be vaccinated

His parents told he can do as he likes but he isn't welcome at their home. He can decide.

122. Doing that is what got me unfriended from her FB group. I was naive...

I have a very well-thought-out rant about the history of plagues, epidemics, the invention of vaccinations, and so on. With illustrations. Many years ago I used to deploy it here from time to time, because DU used to have a coterie of anti-vaxxers and I did not want their ignorance to go unchallenged.

It never occurred to me that it would happen in my family. But she is a grown woman over 40 and makes her own decisions and there is zero, zip, nada I can do about it.

Star Member sobenji (298 posts)

76. Your daughter might be in the Qanon cult

This messaging about shedding is all over their messed up world.

:whatever:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: having a terrifying experience...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:28:41 PM »
Anti-vaxxers span the entire political spectrum. Pretty sure arch-anti-vaxxer RFK Jr. is no conservative.

DDT-is-the-bogeyman has been a narrative of Enviro-Progs for decades.

That plus an interesting silence suggests to me that Hekate's anti-vax progeny is neither Trumpista nor conservative, and may actually be Prog.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:33:14 PM »
John Fante (3,476 posts)

39. He is absolutely to blame for this.

He started the COVID denying and the reich-wing media ecosystem aped him. Online trolls did the rest.

:lmao:  :popcorn: I'd love to hear John Fante reconcile his claim that Trump is a Covid-denier with Trump having created Operation Warp Speed to expedite the test, production, and distribution of Covid vaccines. :popcorn:  :lmao:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:35:09 PM »
This is just another case of the nut not falling very far from the tree.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »
:lmao:  :popcorn: I'd love to hear John Fante reconcile his claim that Trump is a Covid-denier with Trump having created Operation Warp Speed to expedite the test, production, and distribution of Covid vaccines. :popcorn:  :lmao:

John Fante (April 8, 1909 – May 8, 1983) was an American novelist, short story writer, and screenwriter. He is best known for his semi-autobiographical novel Ask the Dust (1939) about the life of a struggling writer, Arturo Bandini, in Depression-era Los Angeles.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 08:15:27 PM »
I need a dollop of whiskey after reading all that DUmmy nonsense
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 04:53:36 AM »
been going on for at least an hour

Sounds kind of bouncy to me.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 07:14:49 AM »
It's been over a year.

Why aren't all these anti-mask people dead yet? 🧐
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 07:53:51 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215401558

I'm having a terrifying experience, as my husband is on the phone fighting w our anti-vax daughter

I refuse to talk with her about her obsession, but hubby has been patient.

Tonight — Mother of God — I don’t know what the hell she started with but I think it was how we all got together on Sunday for a 2 y.o. niece’s b’day party and how she now thinks we must have spread disease to her kids because we have been vaccinated for COVID.

It was a fun day, actually — our first social outing in a year. About half the people there are vaccine-hesitant, but hubby and I had our second shot 6 weeks ago & it is such a great feeling. We hugged and everything.

Doesn't the all knowing Fauchini say you can still spread the kung flu if your vaccinated?  So all your feel good hugging and gathering may have just killed your family and created a super spreader event  :panic: :panic: :panic:

:thatsright:
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
Not to mention all those daily briefings acknowledging that COVID is, in fact, a real thing.

Trump didn't call COVID itself a hoax. Ah, but the mainstream media reported as if he had said that. Could that have something to do with it?

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 08:05:42 PM »
Quote from: Star Member LakeArenal (17,298 posts)

64. Tell her to quit disrespecting her father.
My dad was a racist Republican.
I loved him and he loved me.
I argued politics with him once where he hung up on me.

I hated myself all night. Next day I apologized. You really can’t change it.
Time is short. My dad was old. It was soon enough that he was gone for good.

My only sibling is cut out for non political reasons. I miss him too and am not sure why he quit speaking to me.

Life is too short to carry all that.

Yes tel her she’s a brat and to go argue with her physician.
Does your sibling know that you're an active member of an online insane asylum?  Just curious.