Author Topic: Revolvers in a Grid-Down Collapse Scenario  (Read 25874 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Revolvers in a Grid-Down Collapse Scenario
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:35:04 PM »
Although I do rather like my Glock, I've got a couple of S&W J-frames that might be good at a time like this . . . and there's always the Python . . . :whistling:

Revolvers in a Grid-Down Collapse Scenario

Written by:  Greg Ellifritz

A few of the police trade revolvers I’ve picked up for cheap prices over the years. With holsters and ammo included, these five guns still cost less than the price of a single AR-15 rifle. Which would be a better bet in a survival situation: five friends with hidden .38 revolvers or one friend with that new AR-15 you put in the safe “just in case”?

Considering that I just got back from a snubnose revolver training class last weekend (review coming later this week), I have revolvers on the brain.  It  seems that the proficient use of a revolver has become a dying art in this age of self-loading pistols.  I think that is a sad state of affairs and truly believe that many folks could be better served with a revolver as a home defense weapon…especially in the event of a serious economic or societal collapse scenario.

The prime benefit of a revolver is ease of use. Don’t get me wrong, I think as a whole, revolvers are harder to learn to shoot WELL, but they have a far simpler manual of arms than the typical semi-auto pistol. The “ease of use” to which I am referring is the ease of loading, unloading, and getting rounds on target at close range. There are no manual safeties to forget, no magazine disconnectors to confuse people, and no slide racking to worry about. It’s literally as simple as “point the gun and pull the trigger.”

Those of you who are “tactical” will scoff at that statement. As a shooter, I understand. The problem is that not everyone is a “shooter.” If crime rates and desperation increase post-collapse, think about all the people unfamiliar with guns who will be forced by circumstances to rely on a firearm for protection. Is your elderly mother a shooter? What about your neighbor who works as a computer programmer all day? Sure, given enough time and practice anyone can become proficient with a semi-automatic pistol or AR-15 carbine, but we may not have the luxury of either time or extended practice sessions in the event of serious social unrest. I’d rather have a non-shooting friend, family member or neighbor armed with a .38 revolver and full confidence in his ability to use it, than give him a “superior” pistol whose controls are too complex for effortless usage by a novice tactician. The reality of the matter is that I can get an untrained person to a level of basic proficiency faster with a revolver than I can with an autopistol. That’s an important factor that few people in the gun world consider.

A second advantage of the revolver is its relative durability and the lack of maintenance required to sustain it. Revolvers don’t seem to break as often as autopistols and don’t require as much lubrication to function. That doesn’t mean that revolvers are indestructible. I’ve broken more than my share of wheel guns over the years. I just don’t see them breaking or malfunctioning as often as my autoloaders.

A final advantage that revolvers have is an infinitely adjustable grip. Modern autopistols like the Smith and Wesson M&P and the Glock now come with adjustable back straps, but they still won’t fit every hand size. With a revolver, you can switch grips in just a couple of minutes. You can find an aftermarket grip that feels good in any size hand. Again, if you are looking to stash away a few guns for non-shooting friends or family members to use in a crisis, having the ability fit the hands of any person who might have to use the weapon is a desirable quality.

I have to say:  I like the idea of just having to pull the trigger again, if it doesn't go 'boom' the first time, rather than racking the slide, ejecting the bad cartridge, etc. 

The rest is here: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/revolvers-in-a-grid-down-collapse-scenario
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: Revolvers in a Grid-Down Collapse Scenario
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:22 PM »
I like S&W revolvers. Grid up or grid down, I'll have one on my hip.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:08 PM »
I'd rather have a revolver than a Glock.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:09:23 PM »
I like S&W revolvers. Grid up or grid down, I'll have one on my hip.

Yep, I have often written on the virtues of wheelguns here.  The S&W, for my money, has the very best cylinder release system as far as rapid, natural action and amount of force required are concerned.  Coupled with Safariland speedloaders, they are the cream of the crop.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
DAT, what do you think of the S&W 43C for, say, my wife?  Or a Ruger LCR in .22 LR?  Or, for me (for that matter)? :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Recently bought a 6" S&W model 64 in .357, square butt. Compared to the model 66 that I'd had some years ago, this gun has a great balance and, with a pair of Hogue grips in lieu of the walnut checkered grips, it's effortless shooting.

It's a K frame and thus technically medium-framed, but I think it has enough heft without being a cannon. I haven't had occasion to fire an N-frame yet, but hope to one day. Might even be my next gun...
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »
DAT, what do you think of the S&W 43C for, say, my wife?  Or a Ruger LCR in .22 LR?  Or, for me (for that matter)? :whistling:

I'm not a big fan of hammerless (or really, spurless) revolvers.  I like shooting single action if there is time for it, the Phit is dramatically higher, though definitely not for a nervous shooter who forgets proper safety procedures and puts his or her finger on the trigger before he or she is ready to shoot.  As far as the LCR goes, well, I don't like the Ruger cylinder release as much as S&W's (Though it's still better than Colt's for my $.02), it's spurless, and it's a .22...

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »
I'm not a big fan of hammerless (or really, spurless) revolvers.  I like shooting single action if there is time for it, the Phit is dramatically higher, though definitely not for a nervous shooter who forgets proper safety procedures and puts his or her finger on the trigger before he or she is ready to shoot.  As far as the LCR goes, well, I don't like the Ruger cylinder release as much as S&W's (Though it's still better than Colt's for my $.02), it's spurless, and it's a .22...

Seeing that I do live in the PRNY, you have valid points ("It's a .22").  I'd probably have to go to at least a .38 Special for my wife, and a .357 Magnum (if I was to go with a revolver) for me.  IRL, I just might go for a Glock 42 or 43.  The price difference between the two is substantial, and that would buy a lot of ammo.

Chase her.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:32 PM »
  I think as a whole, revolvers are harder to learn to shoot WELL 

I have never had the opportunity to shoot a revolver, so I have no idea why this statement was made.

Would any of the revolver owners here care to explain ?
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »
I have never had the opportunity to shoot a revolver, so I have no idea why this statement was made.

I disagree with the author.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »
I disagree with the author.

Yeah, I think that part is a load of crap too.  May be some truth to it if your conception of 'Revolver' is limited to large-caliber Colts, Smiths, and Remingtons made in the Nineteenth Century.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
My little corner of the world is having a gunshot this weekend.
I may pay special attention to the revolvers.
I don't have one, but I can definitely see the utility of having one.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
Yeah, I think that part is a load of crap too.  May be some truth to it if your conception of 'Revolver' is limited to large-caliber Colts, Smiths, and Remingtons made in the Nineteenth Century.

Maybe the author had a bad experience with a Webley-Fosbery.

-Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »

The only thing I can figure by the author's statement is there are essentially two techniques - one, firing single action, which requires a lot less trigger pull and thus it's allegedly easier to stay on target; and two, firing double action, which requires generally a lot more trigger pull and it's allegedly more difficult to stay on target.

So with revolvers, it could be that it takes more practice to become a skilled shooter because of those two techniques.

For me, I think practice solves a lot of problems, including perceptions of difficulty.

YMMV.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »
Maybe the author had a bad experience with a Webley-Fosbery.

"Give us the gift of the gun!" - from Zardoz.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »
I'm not too knowledgeable about guns.

Would a .22 revolver handle .22 LR hollow points? Would they offer more stopping power at close range?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 11:44:42 PM »
One of the great things about revolvers is that they'll digest anything that can be chambered, since every round in them is already actually chambered, so there are no failure-to-feed issues.  Hollow points, wadcutters, blanks, snake shot, FMJ, roundnose lead, hollowpoints...you can pick one of each until you fill the cylinder, if you want.  Though actually my experience with the plastic-cased snake shot is that some of the plastic tends to extrude into the forcing cone instead of blowing completely out, fouling the cylinder rotation, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
I'm not too knowledgeable about guns.

Would a .22 revolver handle .22 LR hollow points? Would they offer more stopping power at close range?

1) Yes. 

2) Probably not, because they really need to get up to rifle velocities (1200 fps or so) coming out of the barrel to reliably expand.  What they might do is to tumble once they get inside the target.

Chase her.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
I find revolvers much easier to shoot instinctively. I often practice with my single six and a ball. Roll the ball out and draw and shoot, no sights, just point and shoot. Sometimes I amaze myself!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »
1) Yes. 

2) Probably not, because they really need to get up to rifle velocities (1200 fps or so) coming out of the barrel to reliably expand.  What they might do is to tumble once they get inside the target.

I was curious as to whether it would be an effective weapon for a woman with little wrist and arm strength.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »
I was curious as to whether it would be an effective weapon for a woman with little wrist and arm strength.

Sure beats a sharp stick!

8 or 9 .22 bullets in the face and chest will ruin any bad guy's day.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »

If you nose around the link in my OP, you'll find some correspondence from an 88-year-old reader of that blog who uses a Ruger LCR in .22 LR as his primary defense weapon, with a Ruger LCR in .38 Special as his backup.  He carries both (lives on a mountain in Tennessee), and practices with the .22 daily.  His technique?  Draw the .22, and fire two quick double-taps into the perp, followed by four more-carefully-aimed shots.  8 rounds of .22 LR will ruin someone's day.

Two perps?  He's got the other LCR . . . in .38 Special.

Chase her.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »

I only thing I can think of is maybe doing tactical reloads. It is harder to reload on the fly with a wheel gun than an automatic. It is harder still if you happen to be left handed.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
I only thing I can think of is maybe doing tactical reloads. It is harder to reload on the fly with a wheel gun than an automatic. It is harder still if you happen to be left handed.

Practice, practice, practice.

:-)
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »
Practice makes you good enough with your handgun so that you don't need to reload . . . :whistling:

Chase her.