Author Topic: Judge Excludes Evidence in Alaska Senator’s Trial  (Read 982 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Judge Excludes Evidence in Alaska Senator’s Trial
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »

I think Stevens is as guilty as he can be, but he may be about to wriggle off the hook because of
over zealous federal prosecutors.

Judge Excludes Evidence in Alaska Senator’s Trial

WASHINGTON — The federal judge presiding over the corruption trial of Senator Ted Stevens dealt a sharp blow to the prosecution on Wednesday by excluding some evidence because he said Justice Department prosecutors used documents that they knew contained lies.

The judge, Emmet G. Sullivan of Federal District Court, declined to declare a mistrial or dismiss any of the seven felony counts, as had been urged by Mr. Stevens’s lawyers. But Judge Sullivan delivered a severe scolding to the prosecution and said he would bar the government from using two categories of evidence central to its case.

Perhaps more important, he said he would tell the jury on Thursday that he was excluding some of the prosecution’s evidence because “the government presented evidence the government knew was not true,” an instruction that is likely to undermine the credibility of the prosecution.

In a special hearing outside the presence of the jury, Judge Sullivan said, “The government knew the documents were lies.”

Mr. Stevens, a veteran Alaska Republican, is in the second week of a trial on charges that he knowingly failed to list on Senate disclosure forms some $250,000 in gifts and services he received from Bill Allen, an Alaska oil services tycoon and longtime friend. The judge had earlier admonished prosecutors for failing to turn over to the defense evidence about the gifts and services that were used mostly in the renovation of Mr. Stevens’s Alaska home.

Link

Offline Airwolf

Re: Judge Excludes Evidence in Alaska Senator’s Trial
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
That could very well be.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
I think using documents that the prosecutor knows to be untrue is a tad more then overzealous.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »
I think using documents that the prosecutor knows to be untrue is a tad more then overzealous.

Yeah, it's more like "Professional misconduct" and "Basis for a Bar disciplinary action."  I'm not rooting for Stevens, but at this point I'm so tired of the drumbeat press and the GOP having to lay there and take it like a zombie-drugged stripper at a biker party, that anything that raining on the Democrat parade is good news to me. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.