Author Topic: Readers dump US magazine over Palin cover  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Lauri

Readers dump US magazine over Palin cover
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
By Courtney Hazlett
Three celebrity weeklies — OK!, People and Us Weekly — featured Sarah Palin on their cover, but one of those magazines is reportedly losing subscribers because of it.

Us Weekly, which unlike People and OK!, chose a rather caustic cover line (“Babies, Lies and Scandal”) is said to have lost thousands of subscribers in just the first 24 hours following the printing of the issue.

“I’m hearing it’s 5,000, maybe more,” says one well-placed source in the industry. Another source claimed that as many as 10,000 readers have already cancelled their subscriptions. A spokesperson for Wenner Media, which publishes Us, says “it is completely false that we are losing 10,000 subscribers.”  As for the 5,000 estimate, the spokesperson only said “that is false, too,” but wouldn’t comment further.

Five thousand might not seem like a large number at first glance, but it’s significant in the context of Us’ printing schedule. The magazine goes to press Monday night, which means subscribers don’t receive their issues until Friday or Saturday. In other words, the cancellations are coming from subscribers who, in many cases, haven’t even gotten their hands on the actual issue.

“When Us went to print Monday night, it looked like the ticket was falling apart," says one magazine editor. “They went to print thinking Palin was dead in the water, and their mistake was thinking everyone who reads Us is a Democrat, when they’re not. Readers are loyal, but the base of a political party is more loyal. They don’t need to read the magazine when there’s so much press around it to know to be upset.”

Upset might be an understatement: One Us advertiser has admitted that they’ve received calls from angry former subscribers threatening to boycott their products.  “(Us publisher) Jann Wenner supports Obama, Wenner media decided to follow the buzz around Palin before her speech, and now subscribers feel like a vote has been cast on their behalf," says another magazine editor. “It’s going to be tough to bounce back from this one. Especially if the advertisers get involved. If they get nervous, that can hurt all of us.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26549704/

Offline Flame

Re: Readers dump US magazine over Palin cover
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
who has that picutre of Ralph?

HA HA!!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:29:07 AM »
:haha:

I made it a smilie, but it's hidden. It's "haha" between colons.  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
I never had "Us" to dump.  Although I think I used it to wipe my ass in a Port-o-John in Afghanistan once.  :confused:

Offline lizard

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:47:01 AM »
:haha:

I made it a smilie, but it's hidden. It's "haha" between colons.  :-)
H5!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
I hope they lose a majority of their advertisers.

I saw the editor interviewed the other night.....he outright admitted that the magazine did not "vet" ( :tongue:) their information before they went to print!

Can we say LOSER?!?!! :loser:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:49:53 PM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »

I saw the editor interviewed the other night.....he outright admitted that the magazie did not "vet" ( :tongue:) their information before they went to print!

you mean it wasn't vetted?  if she wasn't getting a bounce from this i'd smell a libel suit coming...

Offline terry

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »
When Us went to print Monday night, it looked like the ticket was falling apart," says one magazine editor. “They went to print thinking Palin was dead in the water, and their mistake was thinking everyone who reads Us is a Democrat, when they’re not.

I wonder what their editor's DU name is.  :loser:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
I'm glad Megyn Kelly schooled his ass.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:33 PM »

I saw the editor interviewed the other night.....he outright admitted that the magazine did not "vet" ( :tongue:) their information before they went to print!

yeah, i saw that guy being torched by Megyn Kelly.. my favorite lines:

Kelly: "so where are the 'lies' and the conspiracy'?
idiot: "Well, we dont have time to go into all of that here..."

uh huh..  :popcorn:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
When Us went to print Monday night, it looked like the ticket was falling apart," says one magazine editor. “They went to print thinking Palin was dead in the water, and their mistake was thinking everyone who reads Us is a Democrat, when they’re not.

I wonder what their editor's DU name is.  :loser:

yeah, i wondered about that... who said she was 'dead in the water' on Monday night?? The convention was on hold that night because of the hurricane - how on earth do they figure she's 'dead'...?

he inadvertantly spoke the truth and now they are figuring out they better stop trying to make the news what they think it is, rather than what it IS.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher