Author Topic: any motorcycle enthusiasts?  (Read 14124 times)

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
any motorcycle enthusiasts?
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:44:19 PM »
I love bikes. I've been riding dirt bikes since before I can remember. I've always been a fan of MotoGP. Which is the reason I came to purchase my crotch rocket.

Nope, it ain't a Harley. One day, I'll get myself a Night Train... but until then, my GSX-R750 pleases the hell out of me  :-)

Post your bike pics - no matter what kind. Unlike some folks, I love ALL motorcycles.

:cheersmate:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: any motorcycle enthusiasts?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
I like 'em but I can't afford one right now.

I had a Honda 250 EX in high school.  Warped the head on it starting it in the cold.  I replaced it with a ten year old, garage-kept Shadow 700 that only had 8400 miles on it.  It was like new.  Lost it in an accident where some jerkass ran a red light and tore the front end off. 

Haven't had one since, but I went window-shopping last year. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »
Hippie!...some ugly bastard is stealing your bike!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »
I'm surprised - Honda builds a bullet-proof bike. Maybe their engineering has gotten better over the years. The shadow is a pretty sharp bike... I had actually considered that at one time.

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
Hippie!...some ugly bastard is stealing your bike!

:bigbird:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:00:23 PM »
I'm surprised - Honda builds a bullet-proof bike. Maybe their engineering has gotten better over the years. The shadow is a pretty sharp bike... I had actually considered that at one time.

After warping the head, the kickstart spindle and gearshift spindle were both broken off by careless idiots I let borrow my bike.  After being rebuilt, it wasn't worth keeping.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
Here's my Honda 919, sometimes called a "Hornet".

It is neither a crotch rocket nor a cruiser. It is most definitely NOT a Harley. The larger photo is the official Honda photo and is presented because MY PHOTO IS TOO FRICKIN' SMALL.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:13:37 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »
I'd forgotten you had that Euph.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
I'd forgotten you had that Euph.

I rode the shit out of it when we lived in Salt Lake City -- the canyons in the Wasatch were fabulous to ride in, though a bit dangerous due to whackos, errant pieces of gravel, and other hazards.

Haven't done as much riding, but in the summer I use it for commuting.

When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Gold Wing and hang out at Denny's.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »

you'll be beating off the babes, watch out for their walkers

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:51:19 PM »

you'll be beating off the babes, watch out for their walkers

The worst part about those babes isn't their walkers, it's the noise they make when they fart.

It sounds like WHOOOOOSH!

:o

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »
That 919 is a nice bike. I miss mine... but I had a "knocking" issue and didn't want to wait to see what would happen. I would say the previous owner didn't keep up on the maintenance.

Euph's probably one of those folks that wears ass-less chaps and those leather policeman hats when he goes for a ride.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »

:rotf:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »
Yup, I ride all I can.  Fixin to make a run to Big Bend in a couple months ... wanna go?  It is an awesome trip.  We make a spring run every year and this year we're hitting Big Bend.  Last time we were out there was about 4 years ago .... I CAN'T WAIT!!!   :hyper:

I like most all bikes but this is what I ride;

FLSTCI '05 model.  Had a FXDWG before that and a Yamaha 650 special before that. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »
Nice bike!!!! Looks very comfy. I'm jealous of your fwd controls - makes the ride soooo much better and more comfortable. My bike has a pretty extreme riding position. I'm basically laying on my tank. but... I'm in good shape, so I can hack it for ~2 hours. After that, the back hurts. If I lived in your area, I'd be more than happy to join the ride... I'm all the way up in the DC area  :(

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
That 919 is a nice bike. I miss mine... but I had a "knocking" issue and didn't want to wait to see what would happen. I would say the previous owner didn't keep up on the maintenance.

Euph's probably one of those folks that wears ass-less chaps and those leather policeman hats when he goes for a ride.

I'd say that Glenn was the source of your "knocking" issue, Hip.

Uh....decorum keeps me from mentioning just how Glenn came "knocking" on your tonsils uh, door.

You got that photo of Glenn on the inside of your locker? Plant a smooch on him before you go night-night?

It's okay, Hip. I won't tell anybody.

:rotf:  :tongue:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
Nice bike!!!! Looks very comfy. I'm jealous of your fwd controls - makes the ride soooo much better and more comfortable. My bike has a pretty extreme riding position. I'm basically laying on my tank. but... I'm in good shape, so I can hack it for ~2 hours. After that, the back hurts. If I lived in your area, I'd be more than happy to join the ride... I'm all the way up in the DC area  :(

Well, all the FLSTC's have forward controls .... because they have floorboards which are GREAT for long trips.  I really like the Lindby Bar on the front.  That thing is absolutely AWESOME.

You may know this and you may not but the difference between the cruisers and the crotch rockets sitting position is the difference between culture.

The crotch rocket riding position is based more on the English riding saddle and style while the cruiser is based more on the American riding saddle and style. 

I like most all bikes, I have seen a few I didn't like but they were few and far between.  The kind of riding I do, 100's of miles at a time, doesn't lend itself to sport bikes but it would fit a sport touring bike.  The cruisers are just more comfortable to me though.  Some of it may have to do with my frame.  I'm a rather big guy and I don't find many sport touring bikes that fit me.  They kind of lock your knees into the fairing and that cramps my style.  I like a lot of room to move and a lot of different places to put my feet because I may ride 150 - 170 miles between stops.

Be more than happy to have you or anyone else on this board who would like to ride to Big Bend make the trip with us.  Just speak up!  We are leaving on the 26th of April and will be home the 30th of April.  5 days of good riding!  WoooooHoooooo!!!  LOL

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »

Uh....decorum keeps me from mentioning just how Glenn came "knocking" on your tonsils uh, door.

You got that photo of Glenn on the inside of your locker? Plant a smooch on him before you go night-night?

I can't do anything but ****ing laugh  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:. I hate you  :bird:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »

I can't do anything but ****ing laugh  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:. I hate you  :bird:

:-)

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 07:04:48 PM »

You may know this and you may not but the difference between the cruisers and the crotch rockets sitting position is the difference between culture.

The crotch rocket riding position is based more on the English riding saddle and style while the cruiser is based more on the American riding saddle and style. 

Ya know, I almost went American, but Harleys little bro, Buell, can't get their shit together.

Good info above - I didn't know that. There are a few good foreign sport tourers out there (a little out of my price range). The Honda ST1300 is an awesome bike. Ducati makes a good one, but the maintenance will break the wallet (before 2006 - I believe the new ones come w/ a service plan). I love Harley's, but they can rattle parts off and the older ones leak oil. The resale value holds, though (and in some cases, it increases!!!). I love the fact that they have the high mileage club - it's awesome. The negatives don't matter much to me, though... My buddy has a dresser, and it rides niceeeeee. It's like sitting on a leather sofa  :-). As soon as I can afford a Night Train, I'll be all over it. I love their whole soft tail line. Have you seen the new Rocker? That thing is awesome :rocker:

While you're enjoying your Harley, I'm paying asinine insurance for mine  :banghead:

I'm really surprised that some of these jap and European bikes don't hold their value. I mean really.... these things can go 100+ thou plus miles before any problems occur.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »
Am approaching 10K miles with my 919 and the only thing I've done to it is replace the tires, once. Coming up on that again, plus will need to replace the chain.

I'm not very attentive to the chain, so it stretches beyond what it should. Plus, Honda screwed up the chain on my bike -- they made it one link too long to begin with.

But there is no denying the reliability factor of Hondas. The damn things go on forever.

And hell, I can buy two rice burners for what it would cost me for one Harley.

To each his own, but apart from doing my road test on a borrowed Harley in 1982, I just would never own/ride one.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »

Ya know, I almost went American, but Harleys little bro, Buell, can't get their shit together.

Good info above - I didn't know that. There are a few good foreign sport tourers out there (a little out of my price range). The Honda ST1300 is an awesome bike. Ducati makes a good one, but the maintenance will break the wallet (before 2006 - I believe the new ones come w/ a service plan). I love Harley's, but they can rattle parts off and the older ones leak oil. The resale value holds, though (and in some cases, it increases!!!). I love the fact that they have the high mileage club - it's awesome. The negatives don't matter much to me, though... My buddy has a dresser, and it rides niceeeeee. It's like sitting on a leather sofa  :-). As soon as I can afford a Night Train, I'll be all over it. I love their whole soft tail line. Have you seen the new Rocker? That thing is awesome :rocker:

While you're enjoying your Harley, I'm paying asinine insurance for mine  :banghead:

I'm really surprised that some of these jap and European bikes don't hold their value. I mean really.... these things can go 100+ thou plus miles before any problems occur.

Yeah, y'all with the sport bikes pay an OUTRAGEOUS amount on your insurance .... I have never been able to figger out why though .....

[youtube=425,350]U2o_Emao-eA[/youtube]

:lmao:

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 10:28:32 AM »
Yeah, I've seen the Rocker.  That is a slick bike, a lot like my old Wide Glide but it has some neat features.  Harley has come a looooong way on its reliability issues.  When I traded in the Wide Glide the only thing I had ever done to it was change the oil and plugs, clean the air filter and change the tires.  It had close to 50,000 on it when I traded and I had it for less than 3 years.

The Heritage is almost 3 years old and I have 25,000 on it (had to cut back on my riding) and I have only done normal maintenance on it as well.  They really are good reliable bikes now.  Heck the belt is supposed to be good for 100k.  I like the belt a whole lot better than a chain.

KC

*Stolen

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 12:52:34 AM »
Yeah, I've seen the Rocker.  That is a slick bike, a lot like my old Wide Glide but it has some neat features.  Harley has come a looooong way on its reliability issues.  When I traded in the Wide Glide the only thing I had ever done to it was change the oil and plugs, clean the air filter and change the tires.  It had close to 50,000 on it when I traded and I had it for less than 3 years.

The Heritage is almost 3 years old and I have 25,000 on it (had to cut back on my riding) and I have only done normal maintenance on it as well.  They really are good reliable bikes now.  Heck the belt is supposed to be good for 100k.  I like the belt a whole lot better than a chain.

KC

Here's my sled.

94 FLHTP (Electraglide Police model for those who don't speak Harley) I've got a tad over 60K on her right now. I've owned her since '02 and the only major mechanical thing that has gone wrong was the final drive belt broke. Before riding season here in the Hoosier State kicks in, I plan on new pipes (unbaffled fishtails) and rejetting the carb.

Here's my favorite pic:

I had been home from Baghdad for about 15 minutes before that pic was shot!
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.