Author Topic: We lost NY-23 CD . . . AGAIN  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
We lost NY-23 CD . . . AGAIN
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »
this is the home of the hoffman/scozzafava special election debacle last year.  this year, the republican candidate is down by 3700 votes.  hoffman, who withdrew his candidacy when he realized that he was giving the race to the liberal, STILL received over 9,500 votes.  there are some stupid @%$#&% republicans in NY.  jus' sayin'.

we did it to ourselves.  again.  in the same frickin' place.

HOUSE 23RD: Owens claims victory; Doheny concedes

PLATTSBURGH - Bill Owens has declared victory in the race to represent New York's 23rd District, and Matt Doheny has conceded.

With every precinct in the 11-county district save one in Jefferson and one in Oneida County reporting results early Wednesday morning, incumbent Rep. Owens, D-Plattsburgh, had 76,204 votes, or 48 percent compared to 72,435, or 46 percent, for the Watertown Republican Doheny. Doug Hoffman of Saranac Lake got the remaining 6 percent, or 9,536. Hoffman's name was on the ballot on the Conservative line, but he suspended his campaign a month before and told his supporters to vote for Doheny.

Owens gave a victory speech to a roomful of cheering supporters at the American Legion on Quarry Road around 12:15 a.m. Wednesday. He said his agenda for the next two years would be, "to your great surprise, to bring more jobs to the North Country," referencing a common theme of his campaign.

More than 13,000 absentee ballots were sent out - more than Owens' 4,000-vote lead - but Owens told reporters after his speech he was confident he had won, saying absentee ballots historically trend similarly to election night results.

More

Online Karin

Re: We lost NY-23 CD . . . AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »
Yep, this one is mine.  Hoffman should have conceded IMMEDIATELY after the primary, i.e that night.  He dragged his heels, and his name went to the printing press for the ballot.  It is squarely his fault.  And he used to be "my" candidate.  He should have known better. 

I suppose we could have done much, much worse than Owens, and now with Nancy out of the picture, he might be more inclinded to realize who is bosses are.  At least he's not a barking moonbat, or a lunatic like a Grayson, or a closet commie.  He seems to be just a regular guy, who placed a strategic D behind his name for political expediency.  I don't think he'll do much harm. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »
I am sure that there is enough blame to go around, but he should have bailed the second that he didn't win the primary.  fratricide has handed this historically republican seat to the democrats twice now.

so, Karin, could hoffman have won the general election?

Hoffman Sounds Off On Owens Win

SARNAC LAKE, Ny -- Failed Congressional candidate Doug Hoffman is calling for unity after Democrats take New York's 23rd Congressional seat once again. He is also taking shots at the GOP establishment in the North Country.

Plattsburgh Democrat Bill Owens managed to hold onto his seat over Watertown Republican Matt Doheny in Tuesday's general election by a mere 37 hundred votes. Hoffman is being blamed for the Republican's loss.

Hoffman managed to garner more than 9,000 votes, even though he had dropped out of the race. Hoffman, who lost to Doheny in the GOP primary back in September, remained on the ballot in the fall because he had accepted the Conservative Party's nomination. Hoffman endorsed Doheny but many of his supporters stuck with the Sarnac Lake businessman.

Hoffman said, “The outcome of the 23rd Congressional race is proof positive that the Republican and Conservative Parties must work together to achieve victory."

Hoffman addressed critics who said he ruined the GOP chances of taking back the seat.

"The spoilers in this race are the political bosses who have yet to come to that realization," said Hoffman. "The 23rd Congressional District’s 11 Republican County Chairs knew since January that I would be on the Conservative Party line and that I would have no legal way to get off it after July. Yet, they endorsed Matt Doheny even though I had the grass-root support and momentum from the 2009 campaign to create a Republican/Conservative landslide in 2010. The Republican bosses in the 23rd CD have to live up to their big tent philosophy. I am a living example that they did not.”

More

Online Karin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »
I was just going to post the quote about no legal way to get off the ballot after July, so I jumped the gun.  Strange rule, I think.  I do think he would have won, just look at the "remainders" number both this year and the Scozzafava year. 

BTW, as of yesterday there was about 9000+ absentee ballots not counted. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:25 AM »
We got Scott Murphy out in NY-20, John Hall out in NY-19, and Mike Arcuri out in NY-24.  :yahoo: Give us some credit.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Online Karin

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
OK, OK, ya wanna talk credit?  Here is a quote from the Watertown Daily Times:

The still unofficial vote shows
Republicans appear to have
gained a majority by defeating
Democratic Sens. Brian X. Foley
and Darryl Aubertine in Northern
New York

And that would be mine.  Thank you veddy much.   :cheersmate:

ETA, state legislature, that is.