Author Topic: The VFW-PAC has PISSED some People OFF!!  (Read 10210 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
The VFW-PAC has PISSED some People OFF!!
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Posted By Mr Wolf • [October 07, 2010]

UPDATE 2 AT BOTTOM

Last night, we received an interesting email from Bev Perlson, who heads the Band of Mothers group.  She's got an awesome email list that is good for keeping up on what's going on around the country.

What was so disturbing was the email listed someone we all know- LTC(r) Allen West, and how the VFW, of all people, THE VEE-EFF-FRICKING-W, was ENDORSING HIS OPPONENT.

You read that right.

His opponent?  Democrat Ron Klein.  WHO HAS NEVER SERVED IN UNIFORM.

You read THAT right, too.

People, I've been pissed before.  Mad, even.  Upset.  But this?  THIS is treasonous to me.  For a 'so called' veterans organization to pick a NON-SERVING, NON-VETERAN over one of the MOST PROMISING veterans running in politics is heinous.  Disturbing.  And shows just how far off-track the VFW has become.

As you may recall, when I returned from Iraq one of the first things I did was join VFW and Legion as 'life members'.  Now, it seems, the time has come to rip, burn, and toss my Lifetime Membership for the VFW.  I feel like they have completely left us at the station here.  Over at the Farm Team, Jonn Lilyea lays out just who the VFW has announced they are supporting:

Barbara Boxer, Alcee Hastings, Barbara Lee, Steny Hoyer, Barbara Mikulsky, Chris VanHollen, John Dingell, Chuckie Schumer, Pat Leahy and Patty Murray
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2010/10/burn-your-vfw-cards-vote-vets-runs-vfw-pac.html

Offline zeitgeist

Re: The VFW-PAC has PISSED some People OFF!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
The NH VFW is supporting Carol Che-Porter because she supported a VA hospital in state.  Her other positions were less than stellar.  Rember, John F. Kerry is vet as was the Lyndon the Johnson among others. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
Here's my letter to the VFWPAC:

What the hell kind of list is THIS?

Ron Klein in favor of LTC (Ret.) Allen West??? Are you kidding me? A non-vet, liberal, moonbat in favor of a combat veteran who does the right thing, even though it cost him his career?

And here's a list of the other moonbats that you lunatics support:

Barbara Boxer, Alcee Hastings, Barbara Lee, Steny Hoyer, Barbara Mikulsky, Chris VanHollen, John Dingell, Chuckie Schumer, Pat Leahy and Patty Murray, not to mention Harry Reid - who couldn't be more anti-military if he was born and bred on Haight-Ashbury.

As a Life Member, I'm outraged by these decisions. Something tells me that the American Legion might be a better fit for me and my money. At least they acknowledge and respect veterans who have served honorably in favor of non-veterans whose voting records clearly show an anti-military bias.

Have you people no shame?

XXXXX XXXXXXXX
SFC, USA, Retired
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
I know that National doesn't necessarily represent the voices of the various Posts, but there seems to be some massive fallout due to the recent posting of the VFW-PAC's endorsements. Here is a .pdf file of the endorsements:

http://www.vfwpac.org/Revised%20Endorsement%20List%20Sept%2024-1.pdf

The  fallout starts here:

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=20754

and continues on here:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2010/10/burn-your-vfw-cards-vote-vets-runs-vfw-pac.html

and here:

http://www.mafpac.org/?p=717

In short, it seems that National is endorsing non-Veterans over Veterans and several anti-Veteran politicians. What has happened to the "Vets helping Vets" meme?? In MY opinion, this is reprehensible, at best. The VFW should be JUMPING at the opportunity to endorse a Veteran over any Non-Veteran!! However, that doesn't seem to be the case!! >:(

All I will say is, "Stand By for Heavy Seas and Rolls !!"
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »
The VFW should be JUMPING at the opportunity to endorse a Veteran over any Non-Veteran!!

I can't really say taking things that far is a good idea, it would mean picking a Charlie Rangel over a Dick Cheney, or Duke Cunningham over any non-crooks.  They ought to be endorsing whichever candidate is best going to help vets, for sure, though.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I can't really say taking things that far is a good idea, it would mean picking a Charlie Rangel over a Dick Cheney, or Duke Cunningham over any non-crooks.  They ought to be endorsing whichever candidate is best going to help vets, for sure, though.

I see your point. However, they have, in many instances, picked historically anti-military politicians over Veterans. This site really points out the lunacy: http://www.mafpac.org/?p=717

I mean, seriously......Nancy Pelosi?? Harry Reid??

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
Called the VFW PAC in DC.  Told them in no uncertain terms that they are risking having many, many members walk out on them, and that they better start listening to the rank-and-file members.

Also talked to John Calo (former state commander) and his wife.  He's STILL pissed about it--and they pulled the same shit on us in 2008.  We told the VFW PAC to endorse Jeb Bradley and they stabbed us in the back then as well.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
My Post Commander knew the current National Commander from when he was out in California. He's addressing that and the bi-lingual insurance form with him, friend to friend. We're going to have to watch this fairly closely.

Seriously........ how the hell could ANYBODY endorse Sheila Jackson Lee??

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
I can't really say taking things that far is a good idea, it would mean picking a Charlie Rangel over a Dick Cheney, or Duke Cunningham over any non-crooks.  They ought to be endorsing whichever candidate is best going to help vets, for sure, though.

Just a minor point but I believe taht Randy Cunningham wasn't a crook untill afer he was in office for a few years . Nothing he did during his Navy career has ever been in question. It;s not much but it's about all the guy has . IF it wasn't so serious what he did he would be a hero to many today. Some guys just don't know when to stop I guess.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:32 AM »
Just a minor point but I believe taht Randy Cunningham wasn't a crook untill afer he was in office for a few years . Nothing he did during his Navy career has ever been in question. It;s not much but it's about all the guy has . IF it wasn't so serious what he did he would be a hero to many today. Some guys just don't know when to stop I guess.

Therein lies the difference between Dems and Republicans.

Our crooks are caught, investigated, and sent to prison.

Theirs are promoted after they're caught.  No investigation, and short of Jim Traficant, no prison.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »
From the Florida State VFW Commander:

On behalf of the Department of Florida, I am writing to object to the manner in which the Veterans of Foreign Wars Political Action Committee made its endorsements for the United States Congress. This year’s process is both arbitrary and capricious and devoid of Department input. Consequently, I am asking each member of the Department of Florida to disregard the list of endorsements as published in this month’s VFW Magazine and vote their own conscience since we had no input into this year’s endorsement process.

Apparently, the Committee has abandoned the previous years’ process of “advise and consent” whereby it provided a list of proposed endorsees to the Departments for comment, concurrence, additions and deletions. The Department of Florida certainly understands that the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the VFWPAC are necessarily separate entities, however, the PAC exists because of the support it derives from all Departments, Districts, Posts, Comrades and Sisters. Consequently, the Departments acting on behalf of its Districts, Posts and members should have an opportunity to voice its opinion on which Floridian candidates should or should not receive the endorsement of the VFW-PAC.

It is abundantly clear that the PAC has skewed this year’s endorsements towards incumbents. By weighting selections toward the sitting members of Congress, you are encouraging complacency and taking discourse out of the electoral process. Our position is that a process that only evaluates the voting record of sitting members inherently disadvantages those candidates who challenge incumbents. The extant process negates any previous public or private sector experience of a non-incumbent candidate.

I am concerned that the selection process adopted by the PAC will have both lasting and negative consequences on our ability to recruit and retain members in the Department of Florida. It is evident from the tone of the received emails that the VFW-PAC and by association the Veterans of Foreign Wars is not sewing the interests of some members and potential members. This regional firestorm could have been avoided if the PAC board and staff remembered the old adage that all politics are local.

http://networkedblogs.com/8SdsV

TRUTH!!

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »
Oh, I felt the sting from that bitchslap all the way up here.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
I wrote an op-ed on my take on the VFW:

A recent revelation of the political candidates that the VFW-PAC has endorsed has caused quite the National disturbance. The link to the candidates that the VFW endorses can be found here: http://www.vfwpac.org/Revised%20Endorsement%20List%20Sept%2024-1.pdf  If one carefully looks at the list, there are significant numbers of candidates that are generally anti-military and/ or anti-veteran. There have been cries of outrage over the endorsement of certain candidates. I am told that the way it is SUPPOSED to work is that VFW National obtains input from the various State Departments, which obtains input from its various Districts, which obtain inputs from the various Posts within the District. It is clear that this is NOT happening. People are cancelling their memberships in droves. From the Florida State Commander of the VFW:
“On behalf of the Department of Florida, I am writing to object to the manner in which the Veterans of Foreign Wars Political Action Committee made its endorsements for the United States Congress. This year’s process is both arbitrary and capricious and devoid of Department input. Consequently, I am asking each member of the Department of Florida to disregard the list of endorsements as published in this month’s VFW Magazine and vote their own conscience since we had no input into this year’s endorsement process.

Apparently, the Committee has abandoned the previous years’ process of “advise and consent” whereby it provided a list of proposed endorsees to the Departments for comment, concurrence, additions and deletions. The Department of Florida certainly understands that the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the VFWPAC are necessarily separate entities, however, the PAC exists because of the support it derives from all Departments, Districts, Posts, Comrades and Sisters. Consequently, the Departments acting on behalf of its Districts, Posts and members should have an opportunity to voice its opinion on which Floridian candidates should or should not receive the endorsement of the VFW-PAC.

It is abundantly clear that the PAC has skewed this year’s endorsements towards incumbents. By weighting selections toward the sitting members of Congress, you are encouraging complacency and taking discourse out of the electoral process. Our position is that a process that only evaluates the voting record of sitting members inherently disadvantages those candidates who challenge incumbents. The extant process negates any previous public or private sector experience of a non-incumbent candidate.

I am concerned that the selection process adopted by the PAC will have both lasting and negative consequences on our ability to recruit and retain members in the Department of Florida. It is evident from the tone of the received emails that the VFW-PAC and by association the Veterans of Foreign Wars is not sewing the interests of some members and potential members. This regional firestorm could have been avoided if the PAC board and staff remembered the old adage that all politics are local.”- Pete Nicholson  A link to the actual letter to download and read can be found here: http://www.blackfive.net/files/dept-of-fl-response-to-pac-endorsement-2.pdf

It appears that the VFW-PAC is supporting the following politicians: Barbara Boxer, Alcee Hastings, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barbara Lee, Steny Hoyer, Barbara Mikulsky, Chris VanHollen, John Dingell, Chuckie Schumer, Pat Leahy, Sheila Jackson Lee and Patty Murray. These politicians are some of the most reprehensible politicians when it comes to supporting our troops, the war effort and many of the veterans. I will admit that some of these politicians hold a better track record on Veteran’s Issues than they do in supporting our Active Duty troops. I’ve looked at couple of other Democrats that the VFW-PAC has endorsed in an effort to discern WHY the VFW-PAC threw their support behind a certain candidate, typically an incumbent and almost ALWAYS not a Veteran. What I’ve discovered is that some of their endorsement are for candidates that are pro-veteran and even pro-Military. I’m not suggesting that ALL Democrats are bad, but seriously? Sheila Jackson Lee? Barbara “Don’t Call Me, Ma’am” Boxer,  Nancy Pelosi? Harry “the War is lost” Reid? Alcee Hastings, a known criminal? Come on, give me a break!  I’m also not suggesting that a Veteran is always the answer. I remember a time when I THOUGHT that Jimmy Carter, an ex-Navy Nuclear Power Engineer, would be a good candidate. I even voted for the man on that premise and that alone. I was young and naïve. My first four years in the Navy, mostly during Carter’s regime,  were some of the toughest times for my Squadron. Cannibalization of aircraft parts were at an all time high. Many times we had to suspend operations near the end of the Fiscal Quarter because there were no funds to operate with and I even recall a time when the entire military was wondering whether or not we’d be paid at the end of the month. That said, I think that I’d choose the side of a Veteran vs. someone who has never served and views the military with contempt or someone who is historically anti-military. To quote an excerpt from a blog; “What we need in Congress are strong Representatives that put this Nation and the Constitution ahead of personal ambitions and party loyalty.  Our strong pool of Combat Veterans ready to accept the mantle of leadership is a good place to look for true Representatives”. http://waronterrornews.typepad.com/home/2010/10/iraq-vet-ilario-pantano-guns-for-congress-nc-7.html

As the Post Quartermaster, an elected Officer, for a North Texas Post, I feel that members cancelling their membership will be counter-productive to the issue at hand. It is tantamount to not voting in an election because one doesn’t care for any of the candidates. It’s quite obvious that the VFW-PAC has acted in its own interests, instead of using the tools they have to obtain a consensus. The VFW, being a democratic type system, holds elections each Spring. These officers are duly elected by its members at the Post, District, State and National levels. By dropping out of the VFW, it will be nigh on impossible to effect any change. That change MUST come from within. I won’t even get into just how difficult that it will be to recruit new members when an organization is in chaos. No, we must stay the course, make ourselves heard and elect responsible individuals that will see to our needs instead of using their position in the organization for their own ends.

Thor
USN(ret)

and now, it seems as if the VFW is re-evaluating the need for a PAC due to the massive outcry and discontent:

VFW Leadership at Odds with VFW-PAC

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Oct. 8, 2010 - The national line officers of Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) are at odds with the VFW Political Action Committee (PAC), calling the methodology process used by the PAC “seriously flawed at best this year and in immediate need of extensive review,” in the wake of the recent congressional endorsements made by the committee.

“Even though the law requires that VFW-PAC be a separate organization, the acronym ‘VFW’ is attached to the committee and the natural assumption is that the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States is somehow making the endorsement decisions. Nothing could be further from the truth, but perception is reality,” said National Commander Richard Eubank.

“Obviously, an organization's political positions have to reflect the opinions of its members. But those opinions can't be perceived as ‘off the wall,’ and the methodology used this year to grade candidates obviously is skewed in favor of the incumbent. That isn’t fair, and it actually subverts the democratic process.”

Because of the controversy surrounding the endorsements, VFW line officers have decided to bring the question of continued existence of the PAC to the floor during the 112th VFW national convention in August.

Richard L. Eubank
National Commander

Richard L. DeNoyer
Sr. Vice Commander

John E. Hamilton
Jr. Vice Commander

http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.newsDtl&did=5596

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »
To little to late from National

I'm about five seconds from shredding and burning my Life member card
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
Just out of curiousity...

How many veterans vote for a candidate solely based on the VFWPAC endorsements?

I am obviously looking for the personal opinion of the board membership and not hard facts.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
I don't base my vote solely on the VFW-PAC's endorsements, (or any other PAC), but they may factor into whom I choose. IMO, that would be asinine. One needs to look at the big picture. What irks me is that they endorsed candidates that should have NEVER been endorsed by ANY Veteran's or Pro-military group.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 06:38:25 AM »
Bingo--but you get some people who can be BS'ed into believing that a candidate is pro-military based on that endorsement.  Che-Porter is running sign that say, "ENDORSED BY VFW" with VFW PAC in itty-bitty letters at the bottom.  She just so loves to trot her "Vietnam-era husband" (to the point of almost not saying "era"), with the implication that she somehow knows jack shit about what deployed spouses go through.  (Hint: she doesn't.  Her husband did two years in the early 70's at Fitzsimmons in Denver, never deployed or went TAD.) 

One of her little pet projects is to try to get a VA hospital in NH, with her boo-hooing and bitching that we're the only state in the nation that doesn't have one.  What she DOESN'T say is that there are more hospital VA beds within a 2-hour drive of any point in New Hampshire than damn near anyplace in the country--i.e., we don't NEED a damned hospital.  THAT and that reason alone is why the VFW PAC likes her, because of their warped perception that she "cares", despite her previous statements against the troops, Iraq, etc.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
FWIW, I could claim to be a "Viet Nam Era" Veteran. I joined in Feb 75, went on Active Duty in July 75. However, I don't and I won't.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
I don't base my vote solely on the VFW-PAC's endorsements, (or any other PAC), but they may factor into whom I choose. IMO, that would be asinine. One needs to look at the big picture. What irks me is that they endorsed candidates that should have NEVER been endorsed by ANY Veteran's or Pro-military group.

The reason I asked is because I know of folks that have voted for a candidate based strictly on the endorsement of the AARP for example.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 03:04:31 PM »
The reason I asked is because I know of folks that have voted for a candidate based strictly on the endorsement of the AARP for example.

I definitely know of that kind of thing happening, so it's not a stretch to conclude that some vets would actually vote based on the endorsement of the VFW PAC. These would be the vets who are older, less inclined to be politically astute, and who are comfortable voting based on that endorsement. It's shortsighted, weak, and inherently lazy, but it happens.

AARP is outfitted by slugs, moonbats, and wacko libs who actually think they're pulling the wool over people's eyes - and no doubt, they do for some.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline gurn

• "Are they paying us? Why aren't they paying us?"
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
It's supporting Alan Grayson FL-8?   :bs:
"Our weak President, that kisses everybody's ass, is in more wars than I have ever seen. Now he's in Libya, he's in Afghanistan, he's in Iraq. Nobody respects us."
"This guy got the Nobel Peace Prize and every time I look is he's going into another country."

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
It's supporting Alan Grayson FL-8?   :bs:

Read my blog: http://thors-spot.blogspot.com/

In a nutshell, the VFW-PAC automatically supports the incumbent. It's messed up. In short, if the incumbent votes in favor of a bill of interest to the VFW 10 times (for Congress) or 6 times (for Senate), they get the nod. Newcomers have NO chance of getting an endorsement from the VFW-PAC.

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/10/11/vfw-endorses-senator-maam/

The VFW has a history of tilting towards liberals, but this seems rather stunning.  Barbara Boxer, who dressed down a general in a Senate hearing for calling her “ma’am,” won the endorsement of VFW’s political-action committee yesterday.  The move also comes despite Boxer’s votes to curtail military spending — or perhaps because of them....more

Are you as surprised as I am, or am I not getting the mission of the VFW?