Author Topic: Diary from Bible College  (Read 72093 times)

Offline ColonelCarrots

Re: Diary from Bible College
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
I hope your sermon went well today.

It did.

I was so nervous, but it all flowed out smoothly. I don't think I said Um or anything like that at all.

We started out in Job and I set the stage and told the kids that Satan is in charge over the earth. That when bad things may happen it's probably not God, but Satan. I told them that Job was so righteous that he asked God to forgive his sons. God had blessed Job. Satan asked God to let him try his faith and Satan took away everything. I told the kids that while we may do good things like pray or read your Bible satan doesn't like that and will try to break you.

I told them the story of a car accident I was in with my Dad. I told them how that day I was going with him to go talk to some chaplains to learn about what I would do there. I told them since I was going to serve God and how Satan hated that. I told them that it was probably satan who was trying break my faith and caused the accident. I told them how I prayed to God and thanked him. I asked him for strength as we were getting ready to walk 3 miles through mud, rain, and carry a bunch of stuff, but by some miracle a car drove by and took us home. Told them it was too convenient to be a coincidence.

I continued and said that we need to ask God for help in problems. I said that in our hard economic times that things may happen. Like you might have lost a house and had to move I told them "Maybe God is trying to get you out of a bad place just like the Israelites in Egypt." I gave more details and I'm sure you all know the story. I told them that while Joseph was in the pit God was with him, and while he was in prison God still blessed him.

I started to close with Psalm 91:11-16 how if we praise God and put our trust in him he'll take care of us if we ask for help. I closed finally with the Rich man and the Poor man, and how the rich man was so selfish and would help the poor man. Though in the end the poor man asked for help numerous times, and for that he was carried by the angels to heaven, but the rich man went to hell. Told them we need to ask God for help so we can be carried to heaven.

Through out the message I put a lot of emphasis that God protects his people.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:52:45 AM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
12 hours and 12 pages later I finish my paper on China, India, and Japan. So boring except for Japan. Samurais are cool yo.

I got more homework to do tonight at least another 2 hours worth.

Tonight my family is doing Hanukkah without my step dad. He doesn't care for it and strongly opposes it for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:42:17 PM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
Back to school early. This past Friday I had a homiletic crash course, and I have another class next Saturday. This is all in great timing since I have my FIRST sermon with the adult congregation on Feb 21st. I already found my text so now all I have to do is work on an outline. I think the Thursday night sermons are recorded so after its published on our site I'll share it with you all including my outline.

My text will be from Psalms 91

91 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Text: Psalm 91:1-10
91 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
Purpose: God is my fortress; in him will I trust. He will deliver us all from the evils of the world if we put God at the most High, and make him our fortress.
Introduction: This text jumped out at me, and it speaks clearly to me in this world we live in. All the fears I have, the future I can see, the path this world is walking none of that means anything to God. Because God sees us Christians and he clearly states that he will protect us.
Outline:
Let us pray.

The Psalmist in verse 1 calls the dwelling place under God a secret and a shadow. The secret place IS Salvation! Salvation is a secret, it is hidden to the lost, which is why we go Soul-winning. Once we do find salvation we into refuge and into his fortress. We trust in God we trust the walls of His foundation. The foundation of his truths and righteousness.
    Let us look to verse 3. The Psalmist says “Surely he will deliver from the snare of the fowler” Satan is the Fowler. His snare IS SIN. If we’re trusting in God fully we’re wise enough to avoid Satan’s traps. But also in verse 3 we see noisome pestilence. The word noisome means nasty, disgusting, vile. Pestilence is a disease. People wonder why diseases thrive in the homosexual. Its very clear how they got them. It was intended because of their sins.
    We see deliverance from the snare of the fowler. but look at verse 4, it talks about God covering him with his wings to protect him. A shield, a buckler as long as he was willing to trust and stand behind God he was safe. Police officers and our military trust and use kevlar vests to protect them from bullets because someone told them it works. In the second half of verse 4 it says “His truth shall be thy shield and buckler” we’re safe as long as we stand behind his truths, because God said he would protect us.
    We see God as our shield, but in verse 5 we read “Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor the arrow that flieth by day”  Night time is when we’re most vulnerable to sin when sin is more clear. You see filthy things on tv, you see the so called night life where people drink, dance, and dress inappropriately. The arrow is the attack that come to us because we refuse to accept those evils and live that way.
    Look at verse 6 “nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness, nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday” This form of pestilence is sin taking hold of us. It says walking because it slowly spreads through us. Its walking in darkness we can’t see it, we don’t realize it until it destroys us, but when we’re resting under the shadow and wings of God it protects us from these things.
    However in verse 7 it talks about “A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.” It may sound hard to understand and grasp, but it is God taking the life of a believer at your side Maybe a friend or family member. We wonder why God may take the life of a Child or young person or a young adult. But let me offer some encouragement. Have you ever wondered that maybe God is saving them from a greater evil that was going to occur in their life in the future? We don’t know why for sure, but God does.
    We read in verse 8 “Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.” Its saying that we will only see what happens to the wicked. The reward could be good or bad. Paul persecuted Christians, but he was rewarded even though he was wicked and found salvation. Judas sold Jesus and his reward was a punishment and damnation in hell. God will determine his judgment to the wicked, its not our job to worry about it. its why we trust him and live under his shadow.
    In verses 9 and 10 again the psalmist explains that because God is our refuge we are safe from all of the evils of the world, even if it was a plague, or death, God will deliver us. We know what our reward is in heaven. In closing let me leave you with some encouragement from God. Look at verses 14 to 16. God says “14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.” There is our foundation, the truths we believe, because he promised them to all those that believe in him.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
Well I got my GPA. I didn't make it to Honor Roll. I made it to the Dean's List at 3.79

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
Well I got my GPA. I didn't make it to Honor Roll. I made it to the Dean's List at 3.79

That ain't bad, little bunlet.  Not bad indeed.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
That ain't bad, little bunlet.  Not bad indeed.

I was gonna say "Snuglet," but "Bunlet" works too.  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »
I get two sermons so far this year! I get to preach January 27th to some elderly people. We're going to a nursing home. I prayed to God and asked him to give me my message. Had a flood of ideas on how to preach about salvation and not waiting before it's too late. I will post my sermon notes when they're ready.

My text will be in Isaiah 53. I will also be using Matthew 2:1-3

Isaiah 53

1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Matthew 2

1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
School starts today. I have two classes that are 2 hours long each. I have one of those today. I'm excited to be back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
School starts today. I have two classes that are 2 hours long each. I have one of those today. I'm excited to be back.

Keep up your good work!

I haven't been commenting, but I have been reading, and it's all good.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
I'm doing a 180 on my nursing home message.

I don't know yet. I got a week and a half left.

Needs to be encouraging.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
Praying to God.

Joshua 10
12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »
Well I did it. I asked this girl at church if I could write to her while she was at college. She said yes. Call me old fashioned, but I also asked her Father if I could write to her. He told me "It's always good to communicate first."

I can't stop smiling.

I forgot to add the best part about her. She is conservative.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:11:59 AM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »
Well I did it. I asked this girl at church if I could write to her while she was at college. She said yes. Call me old fashioned, but I also asked her Father if I could write to her. He told me "It's always good to communicate first."

I can't stop smiling.

I forgot to add the best part about her. She is conservative.

Yeah, okay, all that's great.

How are her boobiez?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »

How are her boobiez?

Oh JEEZ!   :thatsright:

I am happy for ya CC, I can see you smiling through your post.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »

How are her boobiez?

Romans 11:29
"For the gifts of God are without repentance."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Hey, I can do that too!

Romans 11:32

"For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all."

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
Hey, I can do that too!

Romans 11:32

"For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all."

I was talking about actual gifts.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
I was talking about actual gifts.

You mean God's mercy isn't a gift?  :confused:

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
You mean God's mercy isn't a gift?  :confused:

Depends if you're a DUmmy. Then you just get wrath.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
Depends if you're a DUmmy. Then you just get wrath.

Oh. Well, I guess it's good that I ain't a DUmmy. That would be bad.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
So at college we have a class with the whole college in it but 1. So we have a class of 13 and it is so much fun. The upper class men are hilarious.

In my Romans class the teacher said that we had to participate in order to get good grades in his class. Well, I participated so much that he wouldn't let me answer anymore questions.

I'm enjoying the historical books class. Starting in Joshua which is one of my favorite books.

Also my school makes me do my black preacher impression.
[youtube=425,350]9k260wEclC8[/youtube]

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
Okay, question.

You want to be a military chaplain.

If I've read history correctly, military chaplains are free to give absolution to the dying even if of a different denomination.

Such as a Baptist preacher on the battlefield taking care of a dying Catholic guy can give him the Catholic absolution and it's validly Catholic, or a Jewish rabbi on the battlefield in a similar situation, can do that for a Presbyterian, and so on.

Apologies for the late reply, and for somewhat butting into CC's thread - but I've only just seen the thread.

From the Catholic perspective it isn't possible. Catholic teaching is that absolution can only ever be given by a Priest (which basically includes Catholics and Orthodox only) - if a Catholic soldier were dying on the battlefield and the only person available were a protestant or Jewish chaplain then I'm sure that he would be comforted by offering prayers together, and a non-Catholic chaplain could certainly assist him in making an act of contrition...but as far as sacramental absolution is concerned that needs to be a Catholic Priest.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
Apologies for the late reply, and for somewhat butting into CC's thread - but I've only just seen the thread.

From the Catholic perspective it isn't possible. Catholic teaching is that absolution can only ever be given by a Priest (which basically includes Catholics and Orthodox only) - if a Catholic soldier were dying on the battlefield and the only person available were a protestant or Jewish chaplain then I'm sure that he would be comforted by offering prayers together, and a non-Catholic chaplain could certainly assist him in making an act of contrition...but as far as sacramental absolution is concerned that needs to be a Catholic Priest.
I was actually just researching that today. All of them require a priest. I honestly don't know how I would, but I'm sure I'd learn that later when I'm actually a chaplain.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:48 AM »
This is my nursing home message that is coming up this Sunday. Note: This is in outline form. Italicized words that aren't verses are actions.

Joshua and the Power of Prayer

Text: Joshua 10:12-14
12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.

Introduction:
Hello, I’m Jonathan and I go to Florida Baptist College. I’m a future preacher and it is an honor to be here with you all today, but most importantly lets go to Joshua 10 and we’ll start at verse 12.
Read the text.
Pray.

Purpose: It is amazing to know that we can go to God, and know he will listen to us when we pray.

In Hebrew the Jews have many names for God, but my favorite is El Shaddai, God Almighty, and when you read this passage you see an amazing miracle from God Almighty. You see Joshua asks for such a bold prayer. Which is why I want to ask; Have you prayed to God lately? You see the day was getting close to ending, and the enemy was right there in front of the Israelites. Joshua could’ve given up the fighting and come back another day. He could have asked God to finish them off, but Joshua pretty much said “No, they’re right here and we’re finishing it right now.”

Joshua wanted to do what he was commanded. He was commanded to conquer the land of Canaan. If you remember he was one of two people from Egypt to go to the Promised Land. He has seen battle before, he was a zealot for God and was willing to fight for the Lord. So what did he do? He asked for a longer day to fight for the Lord and to fight for the land that God promised. He was a man of great faith.

We see that in the way he asks God. When you read verse 12, in fact look there now. “he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.” He knew God could do this. He knows that God would help him. Though I don’t think anyone has ever thought to tell God to do something. When you read this verse it sounds like he is telling God what to do, but do you know what happened next?  

God listens, we know the sun and the moon stood still for a day. “ And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man:” It would be the only time that God would listen to the command of someone else, but God does listen to prayer.

We can ask God for help, but we can’t command him. I could try to command God to give me a million dollars and a sports car I probably wouldn’t get it. But I can ask him to give me my daily bread. I could ask him to give me strength. I know that I can ask God for help in anything I need.
Jesus says in Matthew 7
“7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”

Conclusion:So let me ask you again, Have you prayed to God lately? We can go to God for all our problems. We can ask him for help in the middle of a fight. All you need to do is just be willing to ask El Shaddai, God Almighty. Let’s pray.
Pray