Author Topic: primitives discuss sandwiches  (Read 2511 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss sandwiches
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x79214

Oh my.

It's Sunday, the day God gave us for repose and relaxation, so Skins's island-lite.

cleveramerican  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-23-10 07:39 PM
Original message

Describe your all-time best sandwich thread.

In the early 80's I was on vacation skiing in Austria.

One day we skied down into Italy, Vittepino

And standing on this little street in my ski boots, at a little booth of a place, I had the most wonderful meatball sandwich.

The very best one I have ever had in my life.

It has lived in my memory since.

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jul-23-10 07:49 PM
Response to Original message

1. I have to admit ...

I get my favorite all time sandwich once each year.

Still warm from the vine thick slab of heirloom tomato, still sizling thick sliced bacon or two, a swipe of cold mayo,
and toasted good white bread

for some reason I only eat one a year, maybe it's to keep it special - like Christmas

Well, franksolich can't disagree with a bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich, provided of course the fat is cooked off the bacon, one uses real mayonnaise, and inside of wheat bread, toasted or untoasted.

One suspects the Tesha primitive gets haemerrhoids, with that white bread.

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Fri Jul-23-10 08:13 PM
THE BAYER ASPIRIN PRIMITIVE

2. Roast beef poboy dressed with gravy from domolise's in New Orleans.

tishaLA  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-23-10 09:27 PM

3. My dissertation director took me to a place in Hollywood called Lucky Devil

it's run by that guy Lucky who got famous being the beefcake in a Diet Coke commercial. As a result of his residuals, no doubt, he opened this place on Hollywood Blvd that serves somewhat upscale versions of diner food, so they have, for example, Kobe beef Philadelphia Cheesesteaks (I grew up in Philadelphia, and that, to me, is a sacrilege). Anyhow, I ordered a grilled cheese, but it wasn't just any grilled cheese. It was gruyère and tomato on rosemary and something focaccia. With a side order of the most delicious fries ever made--they were shoestring and crispy crispy crispy, but not burnt--and a garlic aioli.

I also ordered a Chimay. Hey, the dissertation director was paying. It was a GOOD lunch.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-23-10 10:21 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER

4. I have two. (Sorry!)

One is my own homemade Italian sub. And the other is an everything bagel, toasted, with pastrami or corned beef, a slice of red onion and a schmear.

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-23-10 10:38 PM
THE IMPERIOUS PRIMITIVE

5. Chopped Liver and Bacon on Good Rye.

It has to be the rye with seeds and a seriously crunchy crust. I like it with raw thinly sliced red onion, fresh from the garden tomato, maybe a few slices of hard boiled egg and a hefty smear of Mayo. It's so good it'll kill ya.

I also love a good Cubano. Spicy pulled pork, swiss cheese and ham grilled then gently opened and a perfectly fried egg and pickles added.

For dessert I wouldn't mind a thin layer of Crunchy Peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, Nutella and a slice or two of bacon on white toast. I'd like a little ramekin of chocolate ganache on the side for dipping.

I know....I have issues.

Yeah, the imperious primitive, who as moderator douses campfires on Skins's island discussing this site, has issues, two in particular.  The weight, and the teeth.  It perhaps has something to do with her dietary choices.

noamnety  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jul-24-10 12:25 AM

6. For me it was a free one I got at some meeting

So simple. Really good artisan bread, a boatload of fresh spinach, and a thick thick smear of pesto.

It redefined sandwiches for me, and I spent a few months afterwards having that in my lunch daily, sometimes with the addition of brie.

DrDan  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jul-24-10 07:28 AM

7. I don't anything better than a smoked meat from Schwartz's in Montreal with a pickle.

But . . . have never had a bad meal while skiing.

japple  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jul-24-10 10:15 AM

8. Thinly sliced smoked turkey, sliced avocado, thinly sliced homegrown tomatoes and cheddar on a flour tortilla. Warmed in the oven until the cheese is melty.

blaze  (1000+ posts)      Sat Jul-24-10 11:35 AM

9. The Dan-o Sandwich

OK, here's the thing. This sandwich is great as a veggie sandwich, too. Obviously, just skip the salami.

-Sourdough Bread

-Italian Dry Salami (not Genoa, or Cotto. Dry. Columbo is good, I prefer Gallo)

-Provolone is the main cheese. If you're a cheese freak like me, you can add other cheeses, too, but take it easy. Too much cheese cancels out the flavor. Don't use too strong a cheese either. Don't do anything stronger than a cheddar.

-Very thinly sliced Red Onion

-Some sliced Black Olives

-Some thinly sliced Pepperocini's

-Salad Sprouts

-Sometimes, on the top slice, I'll spread some Cream Cheese

-The only condiment I use is Gulden's Brown Spicy Mustard.

It can be baked, if you like. 350º until the bread is golden brown. Personally? I don't bake it.

Options: Avocado makes for a nice change. So do those spicy sprouts.

Violà! Dan-o Sandwich.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jul-24-10 12:05 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009

10. Mixed mushrooms, Emmenthaler cheese, a vaguely mustard sauce dipped in batter and fried so the outside was both crunchy and light as a feather.

I've nearly duplicated it except for that sauce. Any more mustard would have ruined it. Any less and it would have been a characterless cream sauce. Other ingredients are hot pepper (again subtle), nutmeg, and something else I still can't identify.

It was that happy marriage of the right ingredients, the right technique, the right grill temperature, and even the right place and server.

Geezuz.  franksolich is a big cheese eater, a really big cheese eater, but has never heard of most of these cheeses the primitives have named.  franksolich generally sticks with all grades of cheddar, and Swiss, assiduously avoiding soft cheese, and of course cheese "food."  Just the real stuff.

Blue cheese salad dressing, although not strictly pure cheese, is great when used in place of butter, on corn-on-the-cob, or smeared on bread for sandwiches.  But it has to be extra-thick, high-quality blue cheese salad dressing, not the watery stuff.

Duer 157099  (1000+ posts)        Sat Jul-24-10 06:23 PM

12. I can't pick just one

I've had too many really great sandwiches in my lifetime.

Well, yes, of course.

Generally, the best sandwich, if one looks at food as mostly fuel for the body, is peanut butter on whole wheat or rye bread, no jelly. 

And in season, two-week-old dried-out white turkey meat, vigorously peppered with salt, on whole wheat or rye bread, with or without mayonnaise or blue cheese salad dressing or sour cream.

If one looks at food for taste (in addition to fuel), few things beat the standard bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich, again provided the fat is cooked off the bacon.  Or a hamburger that's been pressed down hard on the grill so as to squeeze out all the grease, in a whole wheat or rye bun, with mayonnaise or blue cheese salad dressing or sour cream to top it.  Maybe a leaf or two of lettuce, too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: primitives discuss sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »
Bacon, lettuce, and tomato.  I might go along with mozzarella or some other fresh, soft cheese, but you can't beat a BLT for a sandwich.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
Bacon, lettuce, and tomato.  I might go along with mozzarella or some other fresh, soft cheese, but you can't beat a BLT for a sandwich.

I've quoted others before:

Bacon makes everything better. :drool:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
I had some really good cheese on a pizza a couple months ago, but I forgot to ask what it was.  It could have been mozzarella or it could have been goat cheese.  It was soft, salty, and very good.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
cleveramerican  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-23-10 07:39 PM
Original message

Describe your all-time best sandwich thread.

In the early 80's I was on vacation skiing in Austria.

One day we skied down into Italy, Vittepino

And standing on this little street in my ski boots, at a little booth of a place, I had the most wonderful meatball sandwich.

The very best one I have ever had in my life.

It has lived in my memory since.

Hmmm.... that would have been during the Reagan administration. How could a DUmmy afford to be vacation skiing in Austria then?

Zero bongs.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »
Elitist snobs,dining on fine food while bobbo goes homeless.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
They certainly seem to have sophisticated and expensive tastes for crew with so many on one form of dole or another, either governmental or familial.

My tastes are far more Plebian, for a hot sandwich I would have to say that a genuine Philly cheesesteak takes the cake though (And none of this ghey monkey business with sliced roast beef trying to pretend to be a cheesesteak either, I mean with the meat coming off the grill and straight into the sandwich).  
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
Any Italian sandwich is a good sandwich, especially meatballs.

Hubby and I also love BLT's.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
Elitist snobs,dining on fine food while bobbo goes homeless.

Yeah, that's what's hilarious about the cooking and baking primitives.

Allegedly, at least according to the primitives, the primitives are more "concerned," more "caring," more "considerate," more "sensitive" to the needs of the poor, than are decent and civilized people.

Of course, we know the truth is that decent and civilized people are far more generous than the primitives.

But decent and civilized people don't wear their virtue on their sleeve; in fact, they even tend to not even know their fulsome generosity exists, or if they do, they discount or minimize it.

That's why franksolich doesn't care much about the culinary tastes, no matter how decadent, of decent and civilized people.....but on the other hand, the cooking and baking primitives, because they boast of their goodness to the poor, show their blatant hypocrisy.

If the cooking and baking primitives were as good as they allege themselves to be, the cooking and baking primitives would live on bread and water, so that others, who have little or nothing, could have more.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »
I had some really good cheese on a pizza a couple months ago, but I forgot to ask what it was.  It could have been mozzarella or it could have been goat cheese.  It was soft, salty, and very good.

You reminded me of one of my favorite things.  When growing up, we had our own goats, and we only used goat's milk for everything.  I don't even remember tasting cow's milk until I was about 14 (I still think it tastes strange).  My two favorite things we used to do with goat's milk (aside from drinking it) was make our own yogurt, and our own cheese. 

Since then,  I have had goat cheese that tastes similar to what we used to conjure up.  However, never, ever, have I had anything that comes even remotely close to the yogurt.  Our goat milk yogurt was a much different consistency than what one would typically find at the grocery store; think tomato soup for thickness.  Ah, but a bowl full of yogurt, with a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a dash of sugar was to die for. 

I haven't had a bowl in almost 15 years.  There are some things you never forget, and then there are some things that you never forget, and make you wish for just a moment that you were a child again, just to seize the experience if but only one more time.:drool:   

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
For me, a good thick slice of fried Bologna, a 1/2 inch slice of Velveeta, and an inch of real mayo on white bread does it all. Being a regular old blue-collar raised Idahoan, that was a staple sammich. Dunk it in Campbell's bean soup, and you got heaven! As a teen, I learned it was easier to drop the bologna in the toaster to fry it rather than screwing with a frying pan...until the toaster caught fire from the residual grease while mom was using it.

►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline JLO

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
For me, a good thick slice of fried Bologna, a 1/2 inch slice of Velveeta, and an inch of real mayo on white bread does it all. Being a regular old blue-collar raised Idahoan, that was a staple sammich. Dunk it in Campbell's bean soup, and you got heaven! As a teen, I learned it was easier to drop the bologna in the toaster to fry it rather than screwing with a frying pan...until the toaster caught fire from the residual grease while mom was using it.

:hyper: :hyper:

My favorite childhood one was a grilled cheese a tomato soup!

This was my favorite grown-up sammy, but I have not been there for years.  The menu's changed.   I don't live nearby anymore - but their original was my favorite.  Their bread is top secret and was the best part!!

http://www.schlotzskys.com/
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
With the exception of the venerable BLT, a good sandwich should have a minimal amount of vegetable matter on it. Meats and cheeses, preferably melted cheese, with mayo spread thin yet covering the entire meat-bearing surfaces of the bread (no dry edges). Maybe a paper-thin slice of onion or tomato if it is nice and ripe.

Oh, and the bread should have no redeeming healthy qualities - made in one form or another with bleached, refined white flour only. :-)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline djones520

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
I had a chicken sandwhich at a Bazaar in Japan.  No clue what spices they used to marinade the chicken with, but it just blew me away.  I was two booths down cooking ribs I think, and just wanted to pack up cause they had us beat no question at all.

My favorite type of sandwhich would probably be a meatball.  I love them from just about anywhere, even Subway.  Well, sometimes Subway will sneak in a meatball thats been sitting at the bottom of the pan for 6 hours and is hard as a rock...   :censored:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:26 AM »
Yes, I see that the DUmmy took an Alpine skiing vacation during Reagan's "Trickle Down Poverty" era. 

They were sooooo fatuous, trying to impress each other in this thread. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
Yes, I see that the DUmmy took an Alpine skiing vacation during Reagan's "Trickle Down Poverty" era. 

They were sooooo fatuous, trying to impress each other in this thread.

The cooking and baking primitives are notorious for being that way.

There's a few exceptions, such as Mrs. Alfred Packer or the defrocked warped primitive, but most of them like to name-drop exotic places and exotic chow.  When one reads the sparkling husband primitive, for example, one needs a German/English and French/English dictionary, and an atlas of Europe close at hand, the way the sparkling husband primitive tries to sprech francais and parlez-vous Deutsch.

It's an act, really, and a very tiresome one at that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »
Give me a Rueben, either homemade or from Macadoo's.

My homemade one uses kosher rye bread, deli corned beef slices, homemade sauerkraut, swiss cheese, mayo and 1000 island dressing. :yum:  :drool:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
2 slices white bread,  cheese, bologna and some potato chips smashed in the middle of it all.

Offline Karin

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
Man, this is a tough question to answer.  Who can pin it down to one?  Reubens.  Philly Cheesesteaks.  BLTs.  I'm starving. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
Fresh Garden Tomato.  Sharp Cheddar Cheese.  Hellmans Mayo.  White Bread.  A little pepper. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 10:11:13 AM »
Any good deli corned beef or pastrami.  Perhaps on my Vegas trips I can stop by the Carnegie Deli (either the one in NYC or at the Mirage in Vegas) and get one.  Those suckers are HUGE.

Failing that, peppered bacon in a BLT, or a roast beef with horseradish sauce.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
Too many to list. Some of my favorites though:

Reuben
Hot roast beef with horseradish
Cuban
Left over T-giving turkey on rye with provolone and mayo.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline lastparker

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
I can put up with a lot from the DUmmies as far as their typos and just plain ignorant misspellings go, but here I have to take issue:

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jul-23-10 07:49 PM

1. I have to admit ...

I get my favorite all time sandwich once each year.

Still warm from the vine thick slab of heirloom tomato, still sizling thick sliced bacon or two, a swipe of cold mayo,
and toasted good white bread

for some reason I only eat one a year, maybe it's to keep it special - like Christmas

Never, EVER misspell a word when describing THE BACON.  It is sacrilege and deeply offensive.  "Sizzling" has TWO "Z's", you big DUmmy.   :banghead:
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »

You reminded me of one of my favorite things.  When growing up, we had our own goats, and we only used goat's milk for everything.  I don't even remember tasting cow's milk until I was about 14 (I still think it tastes strange).  My two favorite things we used to do with goat's milk (aside from drinking it) was make our own yogurt, and our own cheese. 

Since then,  I have had goat cheese that tastes similar to what we used to conjure up.  However, never, ever, have I had anything that comes even remotely close to the yogurt.  Our goat milk yogurt was a much different consistency than what one would typically find at the grocery store; think tomato soup for thickness.  Ah, but a bowl full of yogurt, with a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a dash of sugar was to die for. 

I haven't had a bowl in almost 15 years.  There are some things you never forget, and then there are some things that you never forget, and make you wish for just a moment that you were a child again, just to seize the experience if but only one more time.:drool:   

Can you find Greek yogurt in any of your local grocery stores? What you are describing sounds just like the yogurt I had in Greece. It was wonderful! There are a couple of stores here, that I can buy "Greek" yogurt...it's not exact, but much closer than regular yogurt is.

Chris...was it feta cheese on the pizza?

I love a good Reuben, with spicy mustard added to it, on light seedless rye. Or pastrami.

Not exactly a sandwich, but I love a lightly toasted onion bagel (the bottom half), with cream cheese, lox, slice of tomato, chopped red onion and chopped hard boiled egg white. Best place I've ever had it, is in Chicago, in a diner around the corner from the Rabbinical College. (they also have "to die for" potato pancakes!)  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
It could have been.  I can't remember ever trying feta, but I think I might pick some up to put on hamburgers later this week.  It sure was good.