Author Topic: poll: should the DUmpster be made a non-public forum?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
poll: should the DUmpster be made a non-public forum?
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
This is a tongue-in-cheek question, for discussion only; actually it's a little bit more than just tongue-in-cheek, but since franksolich is not part of management of conservativecave, franksolich doesn't make the rules.

This is not a suggestion; it's just something to think about.

But I'm wondering if the DUmpster should be made into a non-public forum, available to registered members only (despite their post-count).

There's various reasons for that, but for now, this should do:

"the DUmpster as a small-town grocery store"

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,71466.0

And I'll stress those points later.

On the downside, if the DUmpster were a non-public forum, it wouldn't be picked up by search-engines, and a great deal to traffic to conservativecave is sent here by search-engines.

Only the non-DUmpster forums of conservativecave would be picked up--and that's not exactly a bad thing, given that other forums of conservativecave have a great deal to offer, but alas are underutilized.  The other forums on conservativecave are a Mother Lode of illumination, enlightenment, and information, and I suggest the lurking primitive guests check them out too.

So that might be a good reason to make the DUmpster a non-public forum; to lure people to conservativecave who aren't necessarily enthralled by the primitives (usually because they work with such people in real life, and have had enough).

One has to think of conservativecave overall, not just one of the forums on conservativecave.

I'm at odds-and-ends about that, though.

The real reason perhaps the DUmpster should be a non-public forum is outlined in "the DUmpster as a small-town grocery store," above.

There's a problem with getting tip-top, top-notch inventory for the DUmpster, because the lurking primitive guests can see what we say about them, and adjust their own antics on Skins's island accordingly.

To be blunt, the primitives were funnier when they didn't know they were being watched; when they had no idea they had a large, laughing, guffawing audience.

But now the primitives are more inhibited in what they really want to say, for fear the DUmpster might pick those up. 

At the time the sparkling old dude admitted he used the bathroom in the basement because his trophy wife didn't like the good bathrooms upstairs fouled by the stench, he had no idea he had an audience outside of Skins's island.

The sparkling old dude has not been so open and honest since, for fear of what the DUmpster might say.

When Mrs. Alfred Packer, the hippywife primitive, was running the cooking and baking forum, she provided the DUmpster with pages and pages of warm sentimental good-natured humor.....that is, until hippyhubby Wild Bill found out she had a rather larger audience than he thought she had, and forced her to give up hanging around the primitives.

There's been considerable diminishment in the appearance of primitives on Skins's island, who've been featured in the DUmpster; one need think only of the Top DUmmies of any given year, who after their rise to prominence in that annual contest, either abruptly left Skins's island or became much more muted presences there.

And lately, while they still might be around, one notices the frequent absences of the sparkling old dude, the pie-and-jam grasswire primitive, the big guy, nadin, &c., &c., &c.  These are primitives who used to hang around Skins's island all the time, but now they seem to just make brief cameo appearances, and evaporate.

They're probably still around, but not like they used to be, when they were giving the DUmpster some really good stuff.  I recall that no one ever thought the greenbriar primitive would go away--she did, but then came back under another screen-name; however, she's not nearly as prolific in punching out good inventory for the DUmpster as she was before.

The primitives were better when they didn't know they had an audience.

Well, they know now they have an audience, but because the DUmpster's an open forum, they can freely come and look, without taking on any responsibilities of registering and posting on conservativecave.

Just food for thought; this is not anything that should be done without long and thoughtful contemplation.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: poll: should the DUmpster be made a non-public forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
I voted no way, but understand what you're saying about people registering and the pros and cons of it.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
.....but understand what you're saying about people registering and the pros and cons of it.

That's the way I suspect most here feel, no, but--

You understand, of course, that as moderator of the DUmpster, my main concern is quality, and the primitives aren't putting out the quality they used to put out; they're in a snit because they now know they're being watched, and are depriving us their best stuff.

As a means of counteracting this distressing trend, I'm thinking about declaring the week May 27-June 2 as "Be Nice to the Primitives Week," in which only nice things can be said in the DUmpster about the primitives, to see if that works.

I don't think it will, but one never knows until one tries.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I voted YES.

Solely because the slackers at DU have been off their game too long. At least I'd hope that they would improve their product if they thought that CC was "off limits" for generl passers by types.

Really good idiocy from them could still be shuffled to another forum so as to share the world-class DUmb*** lunancy with the entire world (well, the connected world).

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I voted YES.

Solely because the slackers at DU have been off their game too long. At least I'd hope that they would improve their product if they thought that CC was "off limits" for generl passers by types.

Really good idiocy from them could still be shuffled to another forum so as to share the world-class DUmb*** lunancy with the entire world (well, the connected world).

Actually, this does happen to a minuscule degree.

Primitive campfires of a sensitive nature are moved off to the Sandhills forum, a non-public forum, that requires a member to have 10,000 comments, to see).

It gives the Sandhills forum a peculiar look, though, primitive campfires among the Nebraska Sandhills, but it's the best thing that's been done thus far, in dealing with primitive campfires of a sensitive nature.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
So, if I understand this correctly, due to the close observation, and reporting on the primitives, by franksolich, the primitives had feedback to use as a way to alter and or improve their behavior ? They should be thankful. The observation and study of subjects has often run into the conundrum of the attempt to document observations without influencing them in any way. I would favor the most covert forms of observation and study. We want to see them in their most natural state.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
So, if I understand this correctly, due to the close observation, and reporting on the primitives, by franksolich, the primitives had feedback to use as a way to alter and or improve their behavior ? They should be thankful. The observation and study of subjects has often run into the conundrum of the attempt to document observations without influencing them in any way. I would favor the most covert forms of observation and study. We want to see them in their most natural state.

Well, yeah, USA4ME, miskie, and franksolich have been addressing this problem for two, three, years now.

It's the "Margaret Mead phenomenon."

Margaret Mead a very long time ago discovered that people alter their conduct when they know they're being observed, as compared with their truly natural conduct when they're not aware anybody's seeing them.

It biases pure anthropology, which isn't good.

We want the primitives on Skins's island to act in their natural state, not as if they're up on a stage performing for us.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
That's the way I suspect most here feel, no, but--

You understand, of course, that as moderator of the DUmpster, my main concern is quality, and the primitives aren't putting out the quality they used to put out; they're in a snit because they now know they're being watched, and are depriving us their best stuff.

As a means of counteracting this distressing trend, I'm thinking about declaring the week May 27-June 2 as "Be Nice to the Primitives Week," in which only nice things can be said in the DUmpster about the primitives, to see if that works.

I don't think it will, but one never knows until one tries.

I don't know frank, Help & Meta are comedy gold, but it doesn't seem as though any 1 person is standing out either.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »

An example of this would be when the friends of the big guy were putting his campaign web-site together.

They were worried about something "leaking," as they wanted it to be a surprise, like a Christmas present, for the big guy.

The DUmpster of course at the time was being stocked with Omaha Steve inventory.

And so the big guy probably sensed something was up; he didn't know what was up, but he sensed something was up.

The appearance of www.electstevedawes.com was a shock to him, a surprise.

But really, it would've been more of a shock if the big guy hadn't been aware others were watching him.  In fact, it could've damned near sent the big guy to the hospital, if it'd just come out of the blue.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »
But I'm wondering if the DUmpster should be made into a non-public forum, available to registered members only (despite their post-count).

There would be an avalanche of registrations from the DUmp.

The most entertaining DUmpmonkeys would still be here all the time.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
There would be an avalanche of registrations from the DUmp.

The most entertaining DUmpmonkeys would still be here all the time.

That might be a good thing.  If the DUmmies have to register, then it would be easier for them to post their own arguments for their beliefs.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »
That might be a good thing.  If the DUmmies have to register, then it would be easier for them to post their own arguments for their beliefs.

Well, there's pros and cons of that; I suspect most would just register and make one comment and no more than that, just so they could see the DUmpster.

Also, has anyone ever known of an instance where a primitive argued articulately and credibly?

I'm not as extreme as GOBUCKS on this matter, but I'm a whole lot closer to GOBUCKS on the issue, than I am on the argument in favor.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
Well, there's pros and cons of that; I suspect most would just register and make one comment and no more than that, just so they could see the DUmpster.

Also, has anyone ever known of an instance where a primitive argued articulately and credibly?

I'm not as extreme as GOBUCKS on this matter, but I'm a whole lot closer to GOBUCKS on the issue, than I am on the argument in favor.

I should have put the :sarcasm: in there.  DUmmies are defenseless when it comes to defending their beliefs.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »

I almost voted no automatically until I considered it from that angle.  Now, I'm not sure.  There's a lot to be considered.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
I voted no as opposed to no way.

A website needs a hook, for me at least the hook was the DUmpster.

I have to admit, I am torn by the idea that hidding the DUmpster from non registered users would drive registration but I am also not convinced that it actually would increase registrations. I mean, if you don't know it's there why would you register?

I'm pretty sure that if a DUmmie finds a pair they are registered/will register with the forum in the clear.

Going with the grocery store analogy...would you put a cloak of invisibility around a shiny new Walmart?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
How about finding a way to make DU members have to pay to play, or have some "skin in the game" ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
No way, part of the fun is the way it spins them up to full frenzy level when they see their madness revealed for what it is.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
I vote yes. Then the lil fuquewads would have to sign up to see what we are laughing at.

Furthermore, I think it should be a pay only view, with a five dollar donation to the RNC mandatory to see what we are saying about their stupid smelly asses.

:fuelfire:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline redwhit

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
I also voted no and noticed that one thing isn't being mentioned here: H&M.  Under the old rules, they had to sneak around, create cliques, and speak in code to avoid mentioning this place or possibly giving offense.  That's not the case anymore and the passive-aggressive behavior that reigned supreme over there for so long is no longer the best attack strategy.  In fact, since the jury system creates an absolute crap-shoot variable now, no one really knows how best to assert dominance.

In fact, I would argue that the full comedy inherent in juries and open forums like H&M have probably done more to change the posting patterns over there and, by extension, over here.  Things will settle down in time as DUers adapt to the new environment.  In the meantime, though, it's important to remember that DU is built like a Thomas' English Muffin: full of nooks and crannies full of various forms of rot, decay, and other comedy goodness.  Even better, any one of those subforums can be catapulted into play at any time, as we have seen this past week with the Men's group.

The games may change but they will always be entertaining.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
No, no, no, the head rent is free.
I just wish they ate better and stopped with the weed smoking.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline MoshMasterD

• The Cornette Face
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »
Voted no way, simply because it is too late.  CC is already famous in the Democrat Underground community.  If CC goes about doing the non public thing, the Duchebags will simply register and and just read it. Without posting a damn anything.
"They cannot win. We outnumber them in this country, and we have the guns… I’m not kidding. They talk a mean game, but they will not cross that line because they know what they’re dealing with."

Andrew Breitbart

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »
At first, I said "not sure."  But, I thought about good and decent people who might find out about CC, and wish to lurk only, laughing about the primitives to friends and co-workers.  I want them to be able to continue to do that.  Therefore, it shouldn't be private.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »

That is exactly like inviting classless neighbors to your home, and then have them shit in your swimming pool.

Why on earth would you want DUmpmonkeys shitting in your swimming pool? I'd much rather see them dead.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
That is exactly like inviting classless neighbors to your home, and then have them shit in your swimming pool.

Why on earth would you want DUmpmonkeys shitting in your swimming pool? I'd much rather see them dead.

As I said to Frank, I should have put the :sarcasm: at the end.

Offline longview

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 06:50:05 PM »
I voted "yes" even though I can see benefits to the DUmpster being public.  I think the bias caused by the few who know we are watching interferes with those on DU expressing themselves openly.  I like seeing what they think on various issues.  Not that I'll ever understand why!