Author Topic: The School Closures Are a Big Threat to the Power of Public Schools  (Read 409 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
The School Closures Are a Big Threat to the Power of Public Schools
https://mises.org/wire/school-closures-are-big-threat-power-public-schools

Twenty twenty is likely to be a watershed year in the history of public schooling. And things aren't looking good for the public schools.

For decades, we've been fed a near-daily diet of claims that public schooling is one of the most important—if not the most important—institutions in America. We're also told that there's not nearly enough of it, and this leads to demands for longer school hours, longer school years, and ever larger amounts of money spent on more facilities and more tech.

And then, all of sudden, with the panic over COVID-19, it was gone.

It turns out that public schooling wasn't actually all that important after all, and that extending the lives of the over-seventy demographic takes precedence.

Yes, the schools have tried to keep up the ruse that students are all diligently doing their school work at home, but by late April it was already apparent that the old model of "doing public school" via internet isn't working. In some places, class participation has collapsed by 60 percent, as students simply aren't showing up for the virtual lessons.

The political repercussions of all this will be sizable.

How COVID-19 could change public schools.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Old n Grumpy

School is closed but they are still giving out free lunch. That needs to stop, there is no reason with all the welfare we dole out that we need to be feeding some lazy, ass hole, irresponsible parents kids.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ausonius

Catholic school teacher here in Ohio for nearly 50 years. My school is in a large and affluent suburb, enrollment of 450 K-8. With my diocese talking incoherently and illogically about "possible distance learning" in August, and if we do return, everyone wearing masks or even surgical gowns in the classrooms, with no lunches in the cafeteria and no recess or playground time because of Kung-Flu Fear, our parents are seriously considering leaving the school.

Why pay for extra tuition for that?

The diocese is making a huge mistake by boot-licking Ohio's RINO governor and his baby-killing, MAObamaite, Democrat "Health director," "Dr." Amy Acton.

And we know this exodus is more than plausible because registrations for next year are way down, as is my salary: I will be taking a $7,500 pay cut, more than 10%, assuming that we have a school next year!

Such is the trouble we are in!  Another cause is that many of our parents own businesses, and may simply be so ruined by this idiotic shut-down that they can  no longer afford our tuition.

As a result, I am not so sure people will be leaving the public schools at all.
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."