Author Topic: 'If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain  (Read 893 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
alp227 (30,357 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142498989

Biden: 'If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black'
Source: Politico

Former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday emphatically defended his ties to the African American community — telling a popular black radio personality that he “ain’t black” if he was still weighing whether to support Biden or President Donald Trump in November’s general election.

The remarks from the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee came during an at-times contentious interview on “The Breakfast Club” that aired Friday morning, during which co-host Charlamagne tha God challenged Biden over his decadeslong record on racial issues and current contemplation of a black, female running mate.

[...]

“Listen, you’ve got to come see us when you come to New York, VP Biden,” Charlamagne said. “It’s a long way until November. We’ve got more questions.”

“You’ve got more questions?” Biden replied. “Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

Read more: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/22/joe-biden-breakfast-club-interview-274490

:popcorn:

LymphocyteLover (174 posts)

1. cue the rightwing outrage

whatever... I get his point

Star Member Proud liberal 80 (1,500 posts)

11. Exactly

And didn’t Trump say something similar about Jewish people who don’t vote republican aren’t Jewish

:whatever:

caber09 (260 posts)

2. Did you actually watch the video?

It's a pretty good interview with good questions, Biden did pretty well, at the end they were bantering back and forth smiling and joking with each other, the narrative or the attempted narrative on this is BS...the articles I have seen on this make it seem like they were arguing which couldnt be further from the truth..they even ended it by looking forward to doing this again in person.

LovingA2andMI (6,019 posts)

4. 30 Minute Interview.....

One line is the headline from a 30 minute interview? Really? Cue the outrage but why is one line from a 30 minute interview allowed to be the Headline of so-called "Breaking News" on DU?

Star Member LakeArenal (11,529 posts)

9. Because too many folks judge on sound bites.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member relayerbob (2,159 posts)

22. Because this isn't "breaking news" it's just one person's attempt to sow discord

Archae (41,704 posts)

5. This guy doing the intervew sounds like a grandstanding nothingburger.

I just read at his Wikipedia entry, that he compared Liz Warren to that white woman who was pretending to be black, to get attention.

:o

Star Member Hoyt (43,269 posts)

6. Get what he was saying, OK with it, but jeez people shouldn't be stereotyped so much.

maxsolomon (21,669 posts)

8. I have a few African American acquaintences from High School who were rabid Trumpists in 2016. these were men (of course) in their early 50s.

no clue where they stand now; I don't need Trumpists in my life.

:bird:

demmiblue (24,900 posts)

10. That was unfortunate. n/t

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

caber09 (260 posts)

15. Did you watch the video?

this is a big nothing burger unless we give it legs, it was a good interview with good questions, Biden and him had a rapport, they were joking and laughing at the end, enough with spreading this BS.

djacq (1,227 posts)

17. Truth be told... Thank You Joe.

The Trump Campaign shouldn't go down this rabbit hole. They'll be taken to school;

“What do you have to lose by trying something new, like Trump?” he asked a crowd in Virginia on Saturday. “You’re living in your poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58 percent of your youth is unemployed — what the hell do you have to lose?”

[link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump?wprov=sfla1|

I'll invite Joe Biden to the Barbeque before I invite a Black Trump Supporter.

Star Member qwlauren35 (4,259 posts)

19. Not outraged, but...

I know black people who supported Trump. I think with COVID-19, they are not so sure, but they are die-hard Republicans and will not support a Democratic candidate.

But they are black.

So, no. Biden is off-base.

Moreover, he is lumping black people into a single category and whitesplaining them. Black people are not a monolith. We are not all defined by the same values, the same experiences (except driving while black), the same neighborhoods or socio-economic backgrounds.

Sorry, it was not the right thing to say.

One DUmpmonkie gets it.

theaocp (3,020 posts)

26. Agreed. It sounds like something my dad would say,

as he imitates the "jive" guys' accent from Airplane. The context is easily understood, but it comes off as careless and definitely whitesplaining. Not tactful, but hardly worth talking about past this.

Kashkakat v.2.0 (1,271 posts)

27. OUCH. well come on, it was a bit presumptuous - white guy should never tell

a black one who's black and who isnt.

So clarify the statement, people are allowed to misspeak if they fix it later. And then we move on.

Yeah, slo'joe's handlers are already claiming it was a joke...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

was that message approved by corn pop?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Delmar

I didn't take offense because I knew exactly what Biden meant.

That seems to be a typical response from the primitives--because they all feel the exact same way as old Fun Fingers.

The radio host pushed the old pervert a little bit and caused him to blow up, as usual.  Since the host was a younger guy Joe wasn't about to challenge him to a pushup contest so he hurled a racial insult instead.

The debates are going to be must see TV when POTUS starts pushing Pervy Joe's buttons.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
And Biden is already apologizing.  :rofl:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
And Biden is already apologizing.  :rofl:

KC

He's not really apologizing, he's Biden-splaining.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
qwlauren35

Black people are not a monolith. We are not all defined by the same values, the same experiences

That belief alone should get one drummed out of DU, but they'll let it pass to appear as if they're tolerable of dissent.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

The debates are going to be must see TV when POTUS starts pushing Pervy Joe's buttons.

If there are any debates, then they won't be recognizable as debates. Democrats will keep pushing the DEMpanic to prevent any face to face debate. It will be done so not only will Joe know the questions, he will have a teleprompter with the answers.

Offline Mr Mannn

I don't see how Biden will get out of this one. Blexit is already a thing. Blacks are waking up seeing the plantation for what it is, and leaving. This is just more incentive.

Offline freedumb2003b

LymphocyteLover (174 posts)

1. cue the rightwing outrage

whatever... I get his point

They have no sense of irony.  If President Trump were to say "It looks like it will rain today" and it stays sunny all day, the lsm and du would be screaming the next day "Trump breaks promise of a rainy day!!!"
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Delmar

Charlamagne said during the interview following Biden's comment about black voters, "It don't have nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with the fact that I want something for my community." "Take a look at my record, man," Biden said in response. "I extended the Voting Rights Act 25 years. I have a record that is second to none. The NAACP has endorsed me every time I've run. Come on, take a look at my record."
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213472394

Ol' Fun Fingers says he's been endorsed by the NAACP every time he's run.

Fact check:  FALSE

Here’s even more fallout from that interview Joe Biden did with “The Breakfast Club.” Besides telling African Americans that “you ain’t black” if you’d consider voting for Donald Trump, he also claimed that the NAACP has endorsed him every time he’s run.

NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson, however, issued a statement Friday that the NAACP does not endorse candidates at any level.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/05/23/joe-biden-says-the-naacp-which-doesnt-endorse-candidates-has-endorsed-him-every-time-hes-run/

Dirty low down lying dog faced pony soldier SOB.

Rapist, racist, liar, plagiarist, crook, etc.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden