Author Topic: Biotin  (Read 2382 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Biotin
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Anyone take this?  Does it help?

As most of you know I am on methotrexate. My new rheumatologist just doubled my dose from 7.5 mg to 15 mg. I haven't had much in the way of side effects from the 7.5 mg dose but with the 15 mg dose I am afraid of hair loss. Methotrexate targets fast dividing cells and that is why it is used as a chemotherapy drug. The amount you take for auto immune disease is a lot less than with cancer though. Hair folicles are very fast dividing so that is why chemo drugs make you lose your hair.

I may not lose any at all but I want to prevent it if at all possible. I am very vain and will stop this medication if it causes me to lose too much hair. I will simply move on to something else. Methotrexate is very cheap, it cost me $8 a month currently. I'm willing to pay a lot more to keep my hair though.  I'm also taking folic acid (1 mg per day) to prevent side effects but I want to do everything possible to prevent hair loss.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Biotin
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
I take it.

When I lost all the weight, one of the side effects was losing my hair.  :bawl:  Doctor said it was because I lost it too fast. The biotin helped, but then I quit cause my hair was coming back in.

Shouldn't have quit.  :banghead: I'm taking it again, but haven't noticed much change other than it isn't falling out like it was. I'm hoping it will come back. Doctor also said stress isn't good for hair either.

I'm screwed.  :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:58:06 PM »
I take it every day, primarily for my nails.  I have weak toenails, and bite my fingernails.  It works.  On hair too.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
Where can I get some?

Receding hairlines aren't really a problem with the men in my family, but thinning hair is.  I'm trying to hold on to what I have and it's not going well.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
Where can I get some?

Receding hairlines aren't really a problem with the men in my family, but thinning hair is.  I'm trying to hold on to what I have and it's not going well.
Any plain ole drugstore or grocery store. In their vitamin section.  Back in the day (20 plus years ago) it was hard to find, but not now, it's gone mainstream.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
Where can I get some?

The Vitamin Shoppe, get the 5000 mg

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
Where can I get some?

Walmart, Target, Kroger, CVS. Probably all are cheaper than the Vitamin Shoppe. I know they are less than GFor whatever the name of the one is that is just letters.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.