Author Topic: Donating Blood  (Read 5300 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Donating Blood
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
I've long considered this and to be honest I don't know why I've never done so however, I think I may.

I'm just wondering about what all happens during the process. Can I drive/should I drive after? Will I feel light headed? Are there any possible negative things to come from donating blood?

The CBS website is unhelpful and very vague in my opinion so I'm just curious about the experiences of others.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Donating Blood
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
I've long considered this and to be honest I don't know why I've never done so however, I think I may.

I'm just wondering about what all happens during the process. Can I drive/should I drive after? Will I feel light headed? Are there any possible negative things to come from donating blood?

The CBS website is unhelpful and very vague in my opinion so I'm just curious about the experiences of others.

Usually the rule is they make you stay, drinking orange juice and stuff, for a little while, until any (if any) light-headness dissipates.  Of course you may drive after donating, if all goes as it usually does.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
As long as one is in good health, there is no problems with donating blood. I know that the Red Cross screens pretty carefully any more. Any trips to Europe seems to be pretty much disqualifying because of the mad cow disease. Yet, they don't consider certain medications or trips to the Middle East a problem.  :mental:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
As long as one is in good health, there is no problems with donating blood. I know that the Red Cross screens pretty carefully any more. Any trips to Europe seems to be pretty much disqualifying because of the mad cow disease. Yet, they don't consider certain medications or trips to the Middle East a problem.  :mental:
[/quote

You need to actually spend quite a bit of time in Europe to be disqualified, short vacations aren't an issue.

When you get there you read over some paperwork regarding things that can disqualify you, then you get some basic health tests from a nurse (blood pressure, iron levels, temperature).  Once everything checks out, they set you up in a reclining chair and start drawing blood.  I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt, but it really isn't that bad.  They take about a pint, make sure you feel okay, then you go sit and eat cookies and juice for about 20 minutes to make sure that you aren't going to pass out.

You can definitely drive afterwards.  I'm usually pretty tired after donating blood, but I'm fine the next day.  They do advise you not to do any strenuous workouts or heavy lifting for 24 hours.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
You're supposed to drink lots of fluids too.

I know there's a weight minimum and a blood pressure minimum too. I hit the minimum weight these days, but my blood pressure is usually too low. Which is too bad, because they reallllly want my blood.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
I have a rare blood type so I should donate but I get a little nervous after hearing people getting dizzy.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »
Years ago when I was stationed at Ft Cambell KY they would give you $40. We used to go give blood to get $$ for beer! That was long ago and far away.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
I quit giving blood for a number of years because the needle was stinging quite a bit. I informed them about it and they shrugged it off, saying it was the anticoagulant. I'd been giving blood every three or four months (as often as they'd allow) and this was unusual. After they took their pint, the phlebotomist removed the needle and looked at it. It turns out that it was bent on the end!!

As far as disqualifications, ANY trip to England was disqualifying at the time. Things may have changed over the last four years.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »
I used to give very regularly, but then became ineligible back in late 2001 due to a change in rules about when the donor had been in Europe and for how long.  I think I may have become eligible again with subsequent rules changes, but I've given 'way over my quota and haven't been in any hurry to check.

As far as driving afterwards, individuals vary by a large amount.  For some it isn't safe at all, and they really aren't back up to full speed for several hours; for me, I was always ready to bounce up off the table and get back to whatever I was doing before donating.  Get a ride to and from on your first time, if it doesn't particularly affect you then drive yourself to it next time.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »

I don't know if they ever lifted the restrictions on donating blood if you had been to Europe; the last time I tried to donate was in the mid 1990's right after we returned from our third tour and I was told NO.  Nowadays I can't donate anyway, based on health conditions.  Well, except every three months to my friendly local phlebotomist.

You may feel a bit lightheaded, compaq, but if you're in good health it's nothing some orange juice and cookies won't put right! :cheersmate:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
I don't know if they ever lifted the restrictions on donating blood if you had been to Europe
I think the limit is seven years.  Certain countries are prohibited, but I'm pretty sure the question "have you been overseas" is limited to 3-7 years.

I can't find the relevant questions on the American Red Cross' website.  You'd think they would be easy to find.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »
I think the limit is seven years.  Certain countries are prohibited, but I'm pretty sure the question "have you been overseas" is limited to 3-7 years.

I can't find the relevant questions on the American Red Cross' website.  You'd think they would be easy to find.

You would think SO, considering how they're always looking for blood donors. :banghead:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »

I spent virtually all of the Eighties and more than half of the Nineties in Europe. And I ate a fair amount of English beef (the original source of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease)).

The Red Cross smiles tolerantly at me, then politely shows me the door when I have the temerity of asking if they want my blood this time.

It's been a long time since i've donated (in Berlin in 1986 or so, IIRC), but generally they keep an eye on you while you're donating and shortly afterwards. They'll offer juice and cookies to get the blood pressure up a bit and if all is well, they send you on your way with their thanks.

Some people have a hard time -- get nauseous, cold sweats, even pass out. But that doesn't happen all that often. If you're healthy to begin with, you should be fine.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline petergrina

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »
Donating blood is a generous life saving gift and a step towards good cause.