Author Topic: I Am a Staunch and Unchangeable Optimist.  (Read 553 times)

Online CC27

I Am a Staunch and Unchangeable Optimist.
« on: May 17, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »
Star Member MineralMan (143,502 posts)

When I encounter irretrievable pessimism, I move on. History has demonstrated that optimism is what facilitates progress and problem-solving. Pessimism and fatalism simply accept the negative as what will be ongoing as far into the future as those who have those views can manage to imagine. Such attitudes facilitate nothing whatsoever. They are a dead end.

Arguing against that kind of pessimistic negativism is pretty much useless. Arguments will not alter that mindset in people, and only wastes one's time. Instead, holding optimistic views lets you visualize pathways forward that can lead to good results. Optimism encourages hope.

Both optimism and negativism are contagious. There is no vaccination against negativism, fatalism, or pessimism. The only protection is to recognize those things and keep one's distance. In that avoidance, you will find others who share your optimistic view that looks forward with hope, rather than with the expectation of failure and doom.

Put on your mask of optimism and let the doomsayers rant on. Just ignore them and work toward good progress. That's a far healthier approach to difficult times.

That, of course, is my opinion. No doubt it will be ridiculed by the very people I am ignoring.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216700707

You are a condescending POS. Very people you are ignoring? I think he is talking about us at the Cave.

Offline SVPete

Re: I Am a Staunch and Unchangeable Optimist.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 12:32:22 PM »
 :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 01:48:17 PM »
You are a condescending POS. Very people you are ignoring? I think he is talking about us at the Cave.

Minnesota Moses is referring to us, but he's lying about ignoring us, because if he were truly ignoring us, he wouldn't mention it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 02:41:25 PM »
Star Member MineralMan (143,502 posts)

When I encounter irretrievable pessimism, I move on. History has demonstrated that optimism is what facilitates progress and problem-solving. Pessimism and fatalism simply accept the negative as what will be ongoing as far into the future as those who have those views can manage to imagine. Such attitudes facilitate nothing whatsoever. They are a dead end.

Arguing against that kind of pessimistic negativism is pretty much useless. Arguments will not alter that mindset in people, and only wastes one's time. Instead, holding optimistic views lets you visualize pathways forward that can lead to good results. Optimism encourages hope.

Both optimism and negativism are contagious. There is no vaccination against negativism, fatalism, or pessimism. The only protection is to recognize those things and keep one's distance. In that avoidance, you will find others who share your optimistic view that looks forward with hope, rather than with the expectation of failure and doom.

Put on your mask of optimism and let the doomsayers rant on. Just ignore them and work toward good progress. That's a far healthier approach to difficult times.

That, of course, is my opinion. No doubt it will be ridiculed by the very people I am ignoring.

Be careful, rock-head.

Optimism like yours can lead to making promises you can't keep, such as the schooling one of your peers on DU promised publicly would be a result of the 2016 election.

Doug bulna might have been an optimist at one time, too.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »
He is most definitely not an optimist. No one who repeats “GOTV” as often as he does is a confident person. And those who are not confident are very rarely, if at all, optimist.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 04:44:50 PM »
Quote from:
MineralMan

25. (snip)

You think of me one way. But you do not know me. You do not know what I am doing and have done. That all started in 1965, when I was just 20 years old and read and listened to people writing and talking about the terrible impact our increasing population would have on the planet. So, I decided then not to reproduce

The only thing in his life that can be confirmed he got right.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »
I wonder how optimistic he felt when former President Bush was elected in 2000 and re-elected in 2004, or President Trump trounced Hillary "Cankles" Clinton in 2016.  Wherever Minnesota Moses lives in that state, Canada was always a few hours away, ya' know.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 06:10:00 PM »
MineralMan

25. (snip)

You think of me one way. But you do not know me. You do not know what I am doing and have done. That all started in 1965, when I was just 20 years old and read and listened to people writing and talking about the terrible impact our increasing population would have on the planet. So, I decided then not to reproduce…

While I appreciate the outcome of that decision, MM seems to have bought Paul Ehrlich's false prophecies of mass famines killing untold millions or 10s of millions during the 1970s. :rotf:

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 07:11:18 PM »
I don't sense anything optimistic about democrats these days.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 11:29:31 PM »
Old Rock Head makes the most boring posts.

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 07:40:48 AM »
^^ You got that right.  Imagine how insufferable he is in real life.  Stories that go on and on and on, with endless irrelevant detail. 

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 11:16:30 AM »
^^ You got that right.  Imagine how insufferable he is in real life.  Stories that go on and on and on, with endless irrelevant detail.

Meh it could be worse. He could have a necklace made out of teeth to talk about.  :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »

"Insufferable Windbag" would be more accurate than "Unchangeable Optimist". Any DU-Onlurker so inclined has my permission to steal that nickname and use it for MM. Or for me, for that matter, :-) .

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »
S
tar Member MineralMan (143,502 posts)

I Am a Staunch and Unchangeable DUmbass.

FIFY
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 02:11:53 PM »
Um I like Mitzi Gaynor's version better.  Too many notes in Rockhead's :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqz73jygRIQ

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 12:09:44 AM »
Mineral Moses and DFW are tied for the pompous and arrogance medal of shame.   These two make even the smarter lefties look stupid.