Author Topic: Beer Reviews  (Read 26346 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Beer Reviews
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
When I am in a different frame of mind, I love to treat myself to Lindemens (sp?) Lambics. The Framboise is my favorite. 

And in the winter, I like a Woodchuck Cider on occasion as well.  Speaking of piss beers.....Estrella Damn (Spain) tops my list of Foreign Beers.  Beliken (Belize) was pretty darn tasty as I recall.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 08:55:49 AM »
Back when I drank beer, there was none better on tap than:

Pilsener Urquell

Brewed in Pilsen, Czech Republic (used to be called "Czechoslovakia", but that was a couple decades ago), this is the beer that gave pils its name.

Refreshing without being sweet, hoppy without being bitter, the head fills the nostrils with the aroma that is half of the beer-drinking experience.

Not too cold, the flavor is simply unmatched. Rich without being heavy or too filling, it's heaven in a glass.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Karin

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »
Iassa, I agree with you, NO FRUIT IN THE BEER!!!  I had a buddy once who was always stuffing a lemon in the neck, and upending the bottle.  I can't stand those limes they insist on sticking in the Coronas.  In Mexican restaurants, you have to tell the waiter firmly:  LEAVE THE LIME OUT. 

Canadians and beer snobs will laugh at me, but I drink only one beer:  Labatt's Blue.  Laugh all you want, I like it lots. 

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 06:49:27 PM »
Spaten Munchen

A nice lager-style brew with a clean drink, with distinguishable malting and a green hop flavor.

Overall Score: 9
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
Pretty much ALL Mexican beer is "tourista" beer--aka goat piss.

Depends on the mood, kids:

Summer--Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, or Red Hook ESB.

Fall--Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  Nuff said.

Winter--Red Hook Winterhook or Moat Mountain Apfel Bier.

Spring--Red Hook Copperhook (can you tell I like Red Hook?)

Anytime--Arrogant Bastard Ale.  22 oz bottles, 7.5 percent alcohol.  Guiness.  A few Smuttynose brews on tap.

In a pinch when I don't want the local formaldehyde in a bottle:

China--TsingTao or Carlsberg.
Japan--Kirin Ichiban, Sapporo if they don't have Kirin.
Guam--Nothing.  Sitting on a 100-degree dock for two weeks turns it ALL to piss.
Singapore--Tiger, but not much at S$40 a "jug".
Australia--XXXX okay, but I liked Toohey's better.  Didn't mind Victoria Bitter either (sorry, LC.)
Thailand--Kloster.  Singha gives me a MONSTER headache.
Phillipines--San Miguel, 24 flavors per case, baby!
Europe--Guiness, Smithwicks, and last time I was in London I had a Kronenburg "White" ale that had an apricot flavor to it.  Freakin. AWESOME.

Bali--Bintang

Tiger was cheap as hell the last time I was there

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »
Bali--Bintang

Tiger was cheap as hell the last time I was there

In Bali, maybe, but not Singapore.  NOTHING is cheap there.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

A very rich, but, thin stout. Has a dark tint even for a stout. Kind of a sweet mid-drink with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Overall rating: 9.5

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »
I just got an email from my favorite beer store, and these are the new specials.  Anyone have an opinion?  Aside from the Rahr, I am going to try a few.  I love the IPA, so Otter Creek is a must, and the Brew Dog as well.  I might just get the Brew Dogs because I love the Scots.  And they are so freaking cool!

# Abita Restoration Pale Ale
# Boulevard Harvest Dance Wheat
# Brew Dog Bashah Double IPA
# Brew Dog Hardcore IPA
# De Prouef Van Twee Belgian Ale
# Harpoon Leviathan Baltic Porter
# O'Hara's Irish Red
# O'Hara's Irish Stout
# Otter Creek Imperial IPA
# Pyramid Spring Fling Pale Ale
# Rahr Iron Thistle
# Real Ale Phoenixx ESB
# Red Hook Mudslinger Spring Ale
# Sam Adams Noble Pils

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
Abita usually has good brews, Pyramids are okay (their IPA is probably the best of their brews) and Boulevard makes one of the better hefeweizens I have drank.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
I am a big fan of Abita.  Not a fan of fruit beers, but their Strawberry one, in the summer is awesome.  I have a six pack of Dixie in the fridge for the Super Bowl.  It tastes like crap, just like the Mississippi River, but it was the first beer I ever had, in Gulfport.  I like Pyramid as a general rule, but hefeweisen I have never developed a taste for.  Strange.  I will drink the hoppiest of the IPAs, the ones no one else will drink, but unless it is a hot summer day, wheats do not appeal.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:06 AM »
Yeah, Dixie does taste like muddy water. Abita Turbo Dog is my favorite of theirs.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »
I am giving up beer and cigs for Lent.  So tonight I am having a good beer or 6.  :) 

Real Ale Brewing Company, Blanco, TX

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale.

Light in color, but heavy in taste.  If you want a lighter beer (not calories, but flavor) this one is a must. 

Nice bitter aftertaste.

It is a good one when I can find it.

I give it a 9.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
This is my favourite beer in the world...

It's a special release, they only make a small quantity every year...and the 2010 is coming out in a month or so.

I give this beer as close to a "ten" as you can get.

http://www.stonebrew.com/irs/
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
This is my favourite beer in the world...

It's a special release, they only make a small quantity every year...and the 2010 is coming out in a month or so.

I give this beer as close to a "ten" as you can get.

http://www.stonebrew.com/irs/

I will keep my eyes peeled for that.  I love Arrogant Bastard. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Damn near impossible to find any Stone Brewery stuff up here, unless you go to Kappy's down in Boston.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »
After 2 weeks in the bottle, my homebrew is starting to really come around. This stuff is good, and will kick your ass. Kinda like Newcastle on steroids. (almost 7% alc   :o  )
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
Samuel Smith's India Pale Ale

Nice pour from the 18.7 oz. (Victorian pint) bottle. Thick for an IPA with caramel and hop flavoring mid-drink. Smooth finish with negligible aftertaste.

Overall rating: 8.5
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:31:02 AM by Odin's Hand »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
I'm not a beer drinker...but I do enjoy one every now and then during the hot summer....

No preference..but this is what I buy...

Corona Light
Sam Adams
Fosters

I don't mind Stella Artois either.

Offline debk

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
I'm not a beer drinker...but I do enjoy one every now and then during the hot summer....

No preference..but this is what I buy...

Corona Light
Sam Adams
Fosters

I don't mind Stella Artois either.

In a blender, empty a large can of frozen limeade, fill the can with Quervo Gold, blend, then carefully pour in through the top opening, a bottle of Corona Light. Do a quick blend.

Pour over ice in a salt rimmed goblet....

Wicked margarita.... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »

In a blender, empty a large can of frozen limeade, fill the can with Quervo Gold, blend, then carefully pour in through the top opening, a bottle of Corona Light. Do a quick blend.

Pour over ice in a salt rimmed goblet....

Wicked margarita.... :-)

Ooooh..that sounds good!  How many servings does that make?  And can I put the ice in the blender so it's a "frozen margarita"?

Offline debk

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 11:14:39 PM »
Ooooh..that sounds good!  How many servings does that make?  And can I put the ice in the blender so it's a "frozen margarita"?

I went down and checked the can size ( I just happened to have one in the freezer  :-) )....it's 12oz. Then there's 12oz of tequila, and how many ounces in the bottle of beer - 16? If you are adding ice, you will have even more...

I'm not a fan of frozen margaritas, but there's no reason you couldn't. It would dilute it more than pouring over ice. These are "sipping" margaritas....not swiggin'. I would do the ice and the limeade, then add the tequila and blend again, then add the beer last.

You have to be real careful when you add the beer and blend, so that it doesn't foam out all over the place. I speak from experience....it's a mess to clean up.  :banghead:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »

I went down and checked the can size ( I just happened to have one in the freezer  :-) )....it's 12oz. Then there's 12oz of tequila, and how many ounces in the bottle of beer - 16? If you are adding ice, you will have even more...

I'm not a fan of frozen margaritas, but there's no reason you couldn't. It would dilute it more than pouring over ice. Good point These are "sipping" margaritas....not swiggin'. I would do the ice and the limeade, then add the tequila and blend again, then add the beer last.

You have to be real careful when you add the beer and blend, so that it doesn't foam out all over the place. I speak from experience....it's a mess to clean up.  :banghead:  Wouldn't you just tip the blender like you would a glass to minimize the foam?

Offline debk

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »

Yes, you do tip it to add the beer, but it's when you quick "zap" it to blend the beer in, that if the lid isn't on tight, it foams out everywhere. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wtf2:

I am scairt.