Author Topic: Windows 7 updates, will it ever end?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Windows 7 updates, will it ever end?
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
I reinstalled Windows 7 on a PC. Been downloading and installing updates for about 90 minutes now. And just when I think I finished I click on "Check for Updates" more show up to be downloaded and installed.  :argh:
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline thundley4

Re: Windows 7 updates, will it ever end?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
I reinstalled Windows 7 on a PC. Been downloading and installing updates for about 90 minutes now. And just when I think I finished I click on "Check for Updates" more show up to be downloaded and installed.  :argh:

It's funny, but true.  Microsoft makes updates for their updates, and patches for their patches. I installed Win 7 on my wife's laptop that had XP on it and the instructions said to connect all USB devices that are used to make sure that updates are found for them.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
BT, DT.

Later I went to my local branch of a Big Computer Retailing Chain where I bought the thing in the first place.

"You should have come here sooner," said the help guy.  "We could have loaded all the updates at once from here," he said, pointng to a nearby fearsomely-large computer.  "We do it for all new computers leaving the store, though they usually only need a couple."

Well, now I know...
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
I turn my windows updates off. As long as I run a decent anti-virus, there really isn't a problem unless the OS never installed correctly. BUT........ that's just me. I've had windows updates hose my computers on more than one occasion, ESPECIALLY in the 98SE & early XP days.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
:nelson:

I feel your pain.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »
I turn my windows updates off. As long as I run a decent anti-virus, there really isn't a problem unless the OS never installed correctly. BUT........ that's just me. I've had windows updates hose my computers on more than one occasion, ESPECIALLY in the 98SE & early XP days.

It continues to this day.  When I bought this Gateway with Windows 7, it was extremely fast to boot up and load everything.  Then one day after installing updates, it became very slow to boot up, and the onboard card reader stopped working.  It took awhile but everything works again, but it's still slow to boot up.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
Windows does update a lot, that is for sure. There are hardly any on on my mac. I had it for two years and I think there only like three or four updates total. The thing with Windows, and seeing how it is constantly evolving; not to mention all the security breaches they find in it, I can understand why it is constantly updating.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
Windows does update a lot, that is for sure. There are hardly any on on my mac. I had it for two years and I think there only like three or four updates total. The thing with Windows, and seeing how it is constantly evolving; not to mention all the security breaches they find in it, I can understand why it is constantly updating.

Just remember that macs are no longer "bullet-proof" when it comes to malware, viruses, etc. macs are getting hit pretty hard lately. ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
Just remember that macs are no longer "bullet-proof" when it comes to malware, viruses, etc. macs are getting hit pretty hard lately. ;)

Yes, that is true. With them becoming more popular, you will find more people trying to breach them.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
I finished with the Windows 7 updates. Now I am doing Office 2007 and MS Project updates.  :jerkit:

Then I get to install some Adobe software and update that as well.  :banghead:

I think when I am done it will have been about 200 updates.

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
It will be finished when you have no more room left on your hard drive.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »
I finished with the Windows 7 updates. Now I am doing Office 2007 and MS Project updates.  :jerkit:

Then I get to install some Adobe software and update that as well.  :banghead:

I think when I am done it will have been about 200 updates.

Why not use office 2010? What Abobe are you using? Creative Suite 5? That is what I use. They have Creative Suite 6 out now. I'm not updating for a while though. I am happy with CS5

Offline FiddyBeowulf

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
Why not use office 2010? What Abobe are you using? Creative Suite 5? That is what I use. They have Creative Suite 6 out now. I'm not updating for a while though. I am happy with CS5
I have the license for 2007 and the end user is a dick. The adobe software is probably going to be Acrobat, framemaker and Illustrator.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
I have the license for 2007 and the end user is a dick. The adobe software is probably going to be Acrobat, framemaker and Illustrator.

I can definitely understand that. I mainly use Photoshop, it is a great program. The thing I wish they would do with office 2010 is make it compatible with Google Calendar. I hate live calendar and live mail.