Author Topic: Windows 7 32-bit Compatability Problem  (Read 3527 times)

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Windows 7 32-bit Compatability Problem
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
OK......here's the deal, I have a new computer running Windows 7.  I'm in the process of transferring data and programs over from my old machine, and I hit a snag.......

I have a "control program" which is written for the purpose of programming the operating parameters in a piece of communications analysis equipment that I use.......the equipment is old, but was originally expensive, and works fine (and would cost big bucks to replace with a modern version that would do the exact same thing).

This "control program" is written in DOS.........and on my old computer, I could just run it in a DOS window from a shortcut on my desktop.  After creating a directory on the new computer, and moving all of the program contents, whenever I attempt to run the ".exe" file, Windows 7 calmly advises me that the program is not "64-bit compatable"...........and suggests that I go find a version that is.......which ain't gonna happen.

Any suggestions from the experts here???

As an aside, I really like Win 7.......it's far better integrated than earlier versions, and easier to use (that is when I figure out how to really use it).  I have a couple of gripes, but I'm likely missing something that will allow me to do what I want, and haven't discovered it yet.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Windows 7 32-bit Compatability Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »
If there is an executable or a command file for the application, you can try right-clicking on it and selecting Compatibility Mode from the Properties menu.  You should have several options.

We use Windows Virtual PC to run older ADP payroll software in Windows 7.  It does a good job of emulating Windows XP.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
I had the same problem with some of my older programs. CorelDraw 5.0 and AutoCad 13 would not install or run on WIN 7. (Anyone interested in either of those programs? I am the owner, and they are not hot copies or anything like that.) I also had a real easy address book program that I used for home, the Legion, the CG reunion and the Rheem reunions that wouldn't run on 7. I downloaded another free address book, but it's not as complete nor as easy to transfer files from one machine to another as the previous program.

I bought the latest and unopened Corel on EBay for a fraction of the retail price. I'm not worried about AutoCad, but I'd replace it if the opportunity arose.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »
If there is an executable or a command file for the application, you can try right-clicking on it and selecting Compatibility Mode from the Properties menu.  You should have several options.

We use Windows Virtual PC to run older ADP payroll software in Windows 7.  It does a good job of emulating Windows XP.

I tried compatability mode (several times), and it still wouldn't run.

what is Windows Virtual PC?  How much is Gates & Co. gonna charge me for that........it might just be cheaper to keep the old computer....

doc

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
I think it's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Don't think it's going to work.......on  my old computer it was running on Win2000, which is just a modified version of NT, and still used a DOS kernel.  I never tried it on XP.  Virtual PC (based on the write-up) seems to be written specifically for XP and Vista applications.

It's funny, because I also installed an old version of Topo USA, which I use for path calculations, and it was written for Win2000......it installed and runs fine.

I suspect that the problem is that this program predates Windows, and  the only way it will run is if the particular version of Windows will open a DOS window and give you a command prompt.  Win2000 would, but I don't know about XP.

doc

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
I seem to remember having issues running DOS programs in XP as well, even with it's Compatibility Mode.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:22:42 PM »
I seem to remember having issues running DOS programs in XP as well, even with it's Compatibility Mode.

A Google search brings up a freeware program called "DOSbox" which allows DOS applications to run on Win 7, but apparently it is a bitch to configure to run right.  I'd like to find someone that's used it......

According to  Microsoft......the problem is most DOS programs were written in 16-bit machine language, which 64-bit processors can't emulate......32-bit processors could, unfortunately.  They advised that they "searched everywhere" when designing Win 7, and couldn't find anyone running DOS software any longer.......so they promply forgot about it.

doc
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:29:23 PM by TVDOC »

Confucius

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
Wanna Trash 80? 

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
Wanna Trash 80? 

Actually I still have a working TI-99A....

:fuelfire:

doc

Confucius

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »
 :panic:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
Actually I still have a working TI-99A....

:fuelfire:

doc

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yeah.......I know it's hilarious........but my grandkids love playing "Space Aliens" on it (and a couple of other games).  Keeps them entertained for hours, and it's so slow and simple that even the little ones can enjoy it.

It has no native software, so it's indestructible, they can't screw anything up.  I learned "Basic" on it....it has to  have a half-million operating hours, and it still keeps going.  Best hundred bucks I've ever spent on computer equipment.

doc

Confucius