Author Topic: XP install/recovery?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
XP install/recovery?
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
I got a new computer, and erased (I mean ERASED) the old computer's hard drive.  However, I can't find the recovery disk to reinstall XP.

I'd like to pass the computer on, provided it can get an OS installed on it (XP or Win7 would be fine, but not for $200).  Any suggestions?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: XP install/recovery?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
PM incoming......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »
Most of the mass market PC's have their recovery "disk" as a partition on the HDD.  Some provide a mechanism to create a recovery CD set from that partition. 

If you "erase" a HDD in a manner similar to myself (ie large and repeated applications of percussive force followed by combustion) then it's goooone.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
I've wiped a hard drive on a few PCs with Darik's Boot & Nuke..... It kills the recovery partition, too.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson