Author Topic: Windows Error Message  (Read 2936 times)

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Windows Error Message
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
Several times during the day, I am getting a Windows error message in the middle of my screen.  Everything is working OK, I just have to click OK for it to go away......whatever it is, it does not seem to be effecting anything in the computer's operation.....it is just annoying as hell.  Any suggestions???

Here is the message:

"Googleupdate.exe:"

"The procedure entry point RHCaptureContext could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

Thanks.....

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Windows Error Message
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:45:42 PM »
Do you have Google toolbar installed?

You can turn that service off... here are some instructions: http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/28/googleupdateexe/
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 02:09:37 PM »
Do you have Google toolbar installed?

You can turn that service off... here are some instructions: http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/28/googleupdateexe/

Yes I do have Google toolbar.....I don't know why, as I really never use it that I know of.

doc

Confucius

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
OK, I disabled it.....we'll see what happens.  After reading the discussion at the link you provided, its really a subtle form of "spyware".......Google is a pain in the ass......

Thanks much!!

doc
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:31:17 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
I think the last time I updated Java (yesterday), it tried to install Google Toolbar on me.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Google is spyware.......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:33 PM »
I think the last time I updated Java (yesterday), it tried to install Google Toolbar on me.

It probably got me when I installed Google Earth.......

doc

Confucius

Offline true_blood

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:30 PM »
That's exactly what happens. Be sure to read the windows before you hit the run/update buttons. I've noticed the Google Toolbar is in a lot of updates recently. PITA!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
Google, yahoo, ask, etc etc etc   One of them seems to be built into most programs any more........   :(
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
Well....the error message was still appearing this morning, even though I supposedly disabled "update" in Google Toolbar yesterday......so I got pissed and just uninstalled the Google Toolbar.

Now when I open IE.......Google hijacks my browser and tries to get me to install it again......**** Google.

I also noticed that when I downloaded an upgrade today for Adobe Acrobat Reader......It ****ing included Google Toolbar again, so I had to uninstall it all over again.  What part of "NO" does Google fail to comprehend??????

Crap!!

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
You said you also had Google Earth installed.  Try disabling the googleupdate.exe service and doing your updates manually.  That's what I do with not-really-important stuff like Acrobat Reader so it isn't bugging me all the time to do updates.