Author Topic: UGH!!!  (Read 3272 times)

Offline soleil

UGH!!!
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »
Ok, so I can't install my virus protection OR any virus protection because I can't get online. It is saying the network isn't available. What could cause this? I know that it has nothing to do with my internet service. It isn't the modem or wireless router. It is my computer. Help!!

I am to the point where I am almost done with trying to figure this out myself. My computer guy still can't get to it right now though.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: UGH!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »
Boot up in safe mode w/ networking. (F8 just right after POST) choose the safe mode with networking option. THEN try downloading Malwarebytes, install, update and run it. Worst case. download a copy of malwarebytes from another PC, burn it to CD and then install it on the affected PC from the CD.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »
Boot up in safe mode w/ networking. (F8 just right after POST) choose the safe mode with networking option. THEN try downloading Malwarebytes, install, update and run it. Worst case. download a copy of malwarebytes from another PC, burn it to CD and then install it on the affected PC from the CD.

I don't think I can access the internet in safe mode with networking either. Can I still download a burned copy to my computer with no internet access?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh, did you TRY??   :maddernhell:  :banghead: I do it all of the time. Safe mode offers some limited functionality.

Also, I DIDN'T say to use YOUR computer to download and burn to a CD if safe mode w/ networking didn't work. I said from ANOTHER PC.... I'm sure you have other friends with computers.  ::)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline soleil

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh, did you TRY??   :maddernhell:  :banghead: I do it all of the time. Safe mode offers some limited functionality.

Also, I DIDN'T say to use YOUR computer to download and burn to a CD if safe mode w/ networking didn't work. I said from ANOTHER PC.... I'm sure you have other friends with computers.  ::)

Woah dude!!! I was just asking since I knew I couldn't get online at home. I did burn it to a CD at work, and I took it home and tried. I think it helped. It at least restored my internet. It found 66 infections, but it couldn't fix them all. I am now trying to install the virus protection I bought. So far, it has found 10 infections, but I am trying to fix those. I am able to get online now which let me register my anti-virus. I was coming on to say thanks for the advice.

And maybe I didn't word my question well. I was asking if I could download the burned CD and install without internet access. But I was able to.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:22:31 PM by soleil »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
That is so frustrating soleil! I've been there! Even my techie hubby couldn't do much. Grrr indeed!

Are you all fixed now?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline soleil

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
That is so frustrating soleil! I've been there! Even my techie hubby couldn't do much. Grrr indeed!

Are you all fixed now?

No, but I am better off than I was. It started off really really bad about a month ago. I've slowly progressed since then. And doing what Thor told me to helped out a whole lot. I am seeing the light now. And learning a whole lot in the process.

Thanks!!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
Are you running the scan in safe mode??

Offline soleil

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:07:22 PM »
Are you running the scan in safe mode??

Yes! I wasn't able to at first because my computer wouldn't allow it. But I ran it regularly and that fixed a few things. I rebooted, got into safe mode, and now it is doing its job. Thanks so much. This has been a thorn in my side for a long time.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »
It takes time but it sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Computers can be so frustrating!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
There are other programs listed in the virus/malware removal thread tat you may also need to use. Malwarebytes is a good start. I also do online scans at trendmicro.com after I've removed the majority of the garbage.