Author Topic: Windows 7 Starter edition  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Windows 7 Starter edition
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:40:12 PM »
On the Home Premium edition of 7 I can right click on an app, choose "properties", click on the "compatibility" tab and choose to run the app in various modes that are compatible with previous editions of Windows. For instance, I'm running an older database program in "Windows XP, SP3" mode. If I'm not mistaken previous editions of Windows also had this feature.

Is this feature included with the 7 Starter edition? It's probably a stupid question, but I know that the Starter edition is bare bones. I'm just curious at how bare the bones are.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Windows 7 Starter edition
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »
Compatibility mode is part of Windows 7. Many programs don't seem to work properly if they are older. Windows 7 has also had some hardware issues because the proper device drivers weren't ready when W7 was released.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
Compatibility mode is part of Windows 7. Many programs don't seem to work properly if they are older. Windows 7 has also had some hardware issues because the proper device drivers weren't ready when W7 was released.

This particular program wouldn't run "as is", but since I set it to "win xp" mode in the properties I haven't had any problem.

My problem is that the wife usually handles things with this program on her laptop. Right now her laptop is almost held together with duct tape and bailing wire. I think Noah used it on the ark. I'm looking to get her something new. I'd rather the OS be Win 7 as long as the Starter Edition has the same XP compatibility mode that my Home Premium edition has.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
Micros**t is pretty vague, but it looks like Compatibility mode is a core part of Windows 7.  I wouldn't expect to have any problems with it.  It was also a part of Vista and (I think) XP as well.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
Okay. Thanks to Chris and Thor. You guys are always pretty quick to respond. I do appreciate it.