Author Topic: More private armies running rampant...thanks Obama  (Read 1263 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
More private armies running rampant...thanks Obama
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
I only got about halfway through this thread, as there's only so much stupid I can read in one sitting. More at the link.

SHRED  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 10:08 AM
Original message
More private armies running rampant...thanks Obama   Updated at 8:50 PM

Edited on Sat Mar-28-09 10:16 AM by SHRED
---

Are we so enamored with Obama that we are going to sit by as our President leads us into another quagmire?
How many here got livid at Bush for war profiteering?

We have Obama giggling at the thought of freeing those incarcerated for pot (legalizing), his audience laughing and clapping, and now we are looking at him sending our men and women to more death in Afghanistan.
Something is ass-backwards here.
Have we learned nothing?
Where are you now?

---
Obama to Bring More Mercenaries to Afghanistan -- Sound Familiar?
By Jim Hightower, Creators Syndicate. Posted March 28, 2009.
As Obama begins winding down the war in Iraq, he is building up his own war farther east. Like Bush, he will depend on private military contractors.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to war we go!

As President Barack Obama begins winding down the Bush war in Iraq, he is building up his own war farther east. We're told that it will be a new, expanded, extra-special American adventure in Afghanistan, involving a vigorous surge strategy to "stabilize" this perpetually unstable land.

The initial surge will add 17,000 troops to the 36,000 already there. Then, later this year, there is to be a second troop surge of another 17,000 or so. This mass of soldiers is expected to be deployed to a series of new garrisons to be built in far-flung regions of this impoverished, rural, mostly illiterate warlord state that is ruled by hundreds of fractious, heavily armed tribal leaders. We're not told how much this escalation will cost, but it will at least double the $2 billion a month that American taxpayers are already shelling out for the Afghan war.

~SNIP~

What Obama has not mentioned is that, in addition to soldiers and civilians, there is a third surge in his plan: private military contractors. Yes, another privatized army, such as the one in Iraq. There, the Halliburtons, Blackwaters and other war profiteers ran rampant, shortchanging our troops, ripping off taxpayers, killing civilians and doing deep damage to America's good name.

Already, there are 71,000 private contractors operating in Afghanistan, and many more are preparing to deploy as Pentagon spending ramps up for Obama's war. The military is now offering new contracts to security firms to provide armed employees (aka, mercenaries) to guard U.S. bases and convoys. Despite the widespread contractor abuses in Iraq, Pentagon chief Robert Gates defends the ongoing privatization push: "The use of contractor security personnel is vital to supporting the forward-operating bases in certain parts of the country," he declared in a February letter to the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Source

---
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5346342

jody  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-28-09 10:19 AM
Response to Original message
4. Relax, just look into the eyes of the Blue Wizard and keep chanting "Hope, Change".

[pic snipped]

Heh. That's pretty funny actually.

NightWatcher  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 10:23 AM
Response to Original message
6. but but but dissent is not allowed

I agree completely that the honeymoons is over and we're seeing the bride without her makeup.

Now you'll get the responses that Obama never promised to end Afghanistan and that you are deluded for thinking that he would end the status quo or end the wars, but didnt he run on the meme of change? How is this change?

Recall that dissent is patriotic.

Mari333  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Mar-28-09 10:30 AM
Response to Reply #6
8. but if you criticize Obama in here

you will immediately be told you are no better then Rush Limbaugh.
thank god not everyone walks in lockstep.

Of course. Some have trouble walking at all because that great big slab of granite is weighing them down a bit much.

Threedifferentones  (555 posts) Sat Mar-28-09 02:37 PM
Response to Reply #50
80. ROFL

An alternative plan?

Boy, let's see how long this takes:

1. Stop ****ing around in Afghanistan, Iraq, and everywhere else. End the wars, close most of the bases, bring the troops home.

2. Do not pay anymore mercenaries ever.

WOW! I SHOULD BE ****ING PRESIDENT!

Except, millions of us have been proposing this "alternative" for decades. Regardless of which party is in power, however, it does not happen.

The thing is, BO knows we all voted for him in the hopes he would do this. But, he also knows that there is a minimum standard of corruption for those that wish to be big time Federal politicians. Namely, we must have a huge army and a drug war, so that our industries of "defense" and "justice" remain placated.

That should tell you something right there. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different outcomes.

SHRED  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #12
13. And how in the HELL...   Updated at 8:50 PM

...can we afford this?

We can't afford single-payer health but we can do this?

sick

SammyWinstonJack  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 10:52 AM
Response to Reply #13
18. Corporate priorities reign supreme.

It would seem in this Country that if something benefits our Corporate Overlords, we have the money, which ends in nothing left for social needs. We're then told that we can't afford certain things like single-payer health care. All part of the plan, I guess

You think health care is expensive now, just wait until the government runs it outright.

Oh. Sorry. I forgot you aren't a taxpayer.

alarimer  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 05:51 PM
Response to Reply #65
99.Yes, there is no military solution to Al-Quaeda.

Or to the Taliban, for that matter.

The solution is political, by making it impossible for those groups to survive. We do this with foreign aid, NGOs and other non-military options. Sending in the military or the contractors is only going to increase the number of people who support those groups.

But Obama (and other Democratic leaders) are in thrall to the military (so as not to be accused of being wimps, I guess). And this is only going to bite us on the ass the next time there is an attack.

Yes. Dealing with the taliban "politically" worked so well in the past that it's worth giving another try.

rockymountaindem  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-28-09 02:04 PM
Response to Reply #72
73. Of course mercs are nothing new

The fact that their use is one thing our founding fathers specifically objected to might suggest that we should generally be against using them, but what do I know?

Clearly not very much.

cherokeeprogressive  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 11:39 AM
Response to Reply #25
44. I wonder, if after seven more years of war, DU'ers will start demanding that Malia enlist.

Or that President Obama draft her to serve in the Armed Forces.

What goes around, comes around...

SHRED Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 11:43 AM
Response to Reply #44
46. I will   Updated at 8:50 PM

cherokeeprogressive Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 11:51 AM
Response to Reply #46
52. So will I. And hey, enlistment age is 17 with parental consent. n/t

I bet these primitives would say they're adamantly opposed to a draft too.

Offline Vagabond

Re: More private armies running rampant...thanks Obama
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:23:20 AM »
What a pack of blooming idiots.  I really wish they would come see what theyare talking about.  Most contractors are like me and have little to no interaction with the locals, and most of that is price haggling.

There is a large contingent of people from Uganda, Ethiopia, and Kenya here.  They pull security at most of the public buildings on the base.  Are they "war profiteers tarnishing America's good name"?  Or are they mostly hard working honest people taking an oppurtunity to make a bit of money?

There is stupid, ignorant, and don't want to change, and then there's DUmmies.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:12:30 AM »
SHRED  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #12
13. And how in the HELL...   Updated at 8:50 PM

...can we afford this?

We can't afford single-payer health but we can do this?

Because providing an Army for defense of this country is in The Constitution.

Giving you free healthcare because you're too lazy to get off your ass and get a job that provides insurance...is not.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »
C'mon folks, it's Alternet--the "thinking" (read: paranoid beyond belief) man's Huffpo.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »
C'mon folks, it's Alternet--the "thinking" (read: paranoid beyond belief) man's Huffpo.

Alternet makes Wiki look credible.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
When did "private contractor" become a synonym for "mercenary?"

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

When a Republican invaded a foreign country.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »

When Clinton quit paying money to Blackwater and Bush started.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »
alarimer  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 05:51 PM
Response to Reply #65
99.Yes, there is no military solution to Al-Quaeda.

Or to the Taliban, for that matter.

The solution is political, by making it impossible for those groups to survive. We do this with foreign aid, NGOs and other non-military options. Sending in the military or the contractors is only going to increase the number of people who support those groups.

But Obama (and other Democratic leaders) are in thrall to the military (so as not to be accused of being wimps, I guess). And this is only going to bite us on the ass the next time there is an attack.

But wouldn't a military solution be more effective. I mean, if you kill the ****ers you wouldn't have to waste time, resources, money (in the form of "bribes" since that seems to be what we do with Islamic despots) in the hopes they'll play nice. Because it seems to me if more join the Taliban you just kill them, too. I know I'm not a major strategerist (though I am pretty good at Battleship) but aren't there less of these jihadis in Iraq because we killed them and most of the rest ran away with their tails between their legs?

Withholding aid never fed a hungry child. And let's just turn our backs while women are beaten for showing an ankle, set on fire if they're raped, or die because there wasn't a male relative around willing to take them to the doctor. These women have no one to advocate for them! guess women's rights are only important if you're an American democrat. I HOPE they all choke on their hypocrisy because they sure as hell are incapable of CHANGE.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
Come on, guys...how many times have we seen that truth and common sense have no impact on the DUmp?  It is, however, somewhat amusing to see them finally recognise that their "messiah" will have to follow Bush's lead in order to protect our country...and Thank God, it seems he is at least smart enough to learn from Bush's success!

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
...and Thank God, it seems he is at least smart enough to learn from Bush's success!

Who says he isn't teachable? ;)  :tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
Well now, one wonders what the shredded primitive thinks about the United Nations doing this, for its "peacekeeping" troops.

There was much comment on NPR (National Public Radio) about a similar issue two years ago.

The United Nations has been having considerable trouble getting troops from its member nations; apparently no nation is fulfilling its quota of personnel, and in most nations, people are reluctant to serve, risking their lives in a place strange to them, a place far away, and a place with whom one has never had any interests.

Why would a Samoan die for Lebanon, or a Paraguayan die for Iceland?

One of the commentators on NPR suggested the United Nations hire professional soldiers.....and the idea went over big, with the other commentators.

One wonders if something might come of this.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »
We can't beat the Taliban or Al-Quida but we damn near wiped out the VC in Vietnam? Well its a good thing that those Cheeto eating idiots over at the DUmp are not running the show.Yet.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
lazer47  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Mar-28-09 11:07 AM
Response to Reply #27
35. It is not "OBAMAS " it is a war we are in, started by Bush/Cheeeeeeny

war is not and easy thing to get out of,, it is not just something you can walk away from,, War is never "GOOD" at best it is an abomination, but it is where we are and it has to be dealt with,,,

For six years you all have been preaching that Bush should just walk away from the war and if he didnt he should be chimpeached.  :mental:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »
cherokeeprogressive  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 11:39 AM
Response to Reply #25
44. I wonder, if after seven more years of war, DU'ers will start demanding that Malia enlist.

Or that President Obama draft her to serve in the Armed Forces.

What goes around, comes around...

SHRED Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 11:43 AM
Response to Reply #44
46. I will   Updated at 8:50 PM

cherokeeprogressive Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Mar-28-09 11:51 AM
Response to Reply #46
52. So will I. And hey, enlistment age is 17 with parental consent. n/t

I'm calling bullshit on these predictions.  Saving a bookmark with an alarm date for 2016.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 09:48:17 PM »
well, at least some of them are consistent, thats a real big step for most DUmmies