Author Topic: Obama's equivocation on the Iraq war has shattered the last of my faith...  (Read 2767 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Found this in Bugsy's Journal:

...in the democratic party.

I'll admit, I've not been a stalwart party supporter since the Clinton years when I began to feel a strong disjunct between my liberalism and the nation's direction. Still, I had hopes for the democratic party, and as a liberal, I really wanted some political representation. It's not just that the democratic party ignores liberals-- the truth is far worse. The party uses us, then betrays us. It asks us to support democratic candidates and political agendas, but it never reciprocates. Not in my lifetime, at least, and I've been paying attention since I began voting in the early 1970s.

We've been used again. Now we're being betrayed.

Despite arguments from party apologists that Obama is taking a pragmatic approach to the wars against Iraq and Afghanistan, the undeniable truth is that most Americans, and certainly all but the most incomprehensible liberals, want America out of those wars and that we voted for Obama because we saw him as the best way to accomplish that. Admittedly, he never promised outright to end them. He has always equivocated, but even among his most ardent supporters there was always the baseline assumption that "Obama will end Bush's unnecessary wars." I was assured of that in this forum many times during the campaign.

Now we're told that his only real promise was to "try" to end "combat operations" by 16 months after assuming office, and that the definitions of "try to end" and "combat operations" are just as difficult for him to pin down today as the definition of "sex" was difficult for Bill Clinton to be unequivocal about. We are being betrayed.

Further, we're learning that he's always thought it would be "necessary" for American troops to remain in Iraq indefinitely for a host of other purposes, not "combat" per se, but with the slippery definition of "combat" in question, the role of American military forces in Iraq can be changed at the stroke of a definition. We are being betrayed.

What Obama said or didn't say isn't really the issue here, either. Let's be clear about that. The real issues are the nature of the wars against Iraq and Afghanistan, and the unequivocal desire of Americans to be rid of them.

The wars are crimes against humanity. They are illegal and immoral. They are wars of aggression. There is no gilding that can make them look otherwise. Americans-- and their allies-- fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are war criminals by definition. There was no justification for invading either country, no justification for aggression against the people of either country, no reason that justifies their wholesale murder by Americans. Since the Clinton years we have killed close to two million Iraqi civilians, and it's hard to say, at this point, whether Clinton or Bush holds the record for murdering the greatest number. But that too isn't really the point either.

There is simply no possible justification for continuing either war in any form. They are crimes, plain and simple. We-- Americans-- are war criminals and our crime is ongoing. We must stop it. We cannot restore our innocence-- it is far too late for that, but we can stop the crime before more people die and more of Iraq and Afghanistan are destroyed. Every day that we continue the wars compounds our guilt. Every day. We are being betrayed.

It's also true that there is no good reason to continue this crime for 16 months or perhaps indefinitely except to massage the pride of the guilty. Do we tell bank robbers or kidnappers that they have to stop in 16 months? Of course not. We demand that criminals face the consequences of their crimes, and the first step is always ceasing the crime if it is still in progress.

Finally, the real point is that Americans did not elect Barak Obama to continue the wars against Iraq and Afghanistan for 16 more months, or longer. Liberals-- the folks the democratic party has so consistently betrayed for at least the last twenty years-- certainly did not work for Obama in order to keep those crimes against humanity going. We are being betrayed.

We want an end to American crimes against humanity in Iraq and Afghanistan. We want our government to hear OUR voices, rather than the voices of the already guilty clamoring for more war, longer war, more blood, greater destruction. We want to be heard, rather than betrayed yet again.

Mr Obama, stop the wars.
http://journals.democraticunderground.com/mike_c
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
For the life of me, I'll never be able to wrap my head around the stupidity that is the DUmp.

And I regard that as a good thing.  They day I can comprehend their mental processes, just put the pillow over my face.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lord Undies

....to the wars against Iraq and Afghanistan....

I stopped reading there.  It's the height of dishonesty.  No wonder liberals are thought of as too stupid to live.  They don't even know what they are protesting.

Clue:  We ARE NOT "at war" against the nations of Iraq and Afghanistan.  The USA is not fighting the military of these nations.  In fact, Iraq is a very close ally of the USA, thanks to President George W. Bush.  

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
I stopped reading there.  It's the height of dishonesty.  No wonder liberals are thought of as too stupid to live.  They don't even know what they are protesting.

Clue:  We ARE NOT "at war" against the nations of Iraq and Afghanistan.  The USA is not fighting the military of these nations.  In fact, Iraq is a very close ally of the USA, thanks to President George W. Bush.  

Exactly.  Enemy Combatants (the people we've been fighting for the past 7.5 years or so) are people who are not affiliated with a particular country, and who do not wear the uniform of any country.  That is what makes it a valuable term, but now Obama has discontinued it's use, so I don't know what they are called any more.  The Iraqi and Afghani militaries  are in the fight with us against the enemy combatants.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

Well you have to remember the mindset of Bugsy...this is the same moron who thinks that ANY soldier who served in Iraq should be tried as a war criminal.

IMHO his "perfect" Presidential Candidate is Cindy Lou Who the Ditch Bitch.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Ah, yes, the mike_c primitive, the college professor who was worried about a homeless guy living in a truck in the back alley behind the good professor's house.....but not worried enough about the homeless guy to give him a thermos of hot coffee or a place to stay.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Ah, yes, the mike_c primitive, the college professor who was worried about a homeless guy living in a truck in the back alley behind the good professor's house.....but not worried enough about the homeless guy to give him a thermos of hot coffee or a place to stay.

That's because Libtards like the Bug Primitive are more interested in the words they say rather than the actual deeds they do.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
That's because Libtards like the Bug Primitive are more interested in the words they say rather than the actual deeds they do.

Right.

And one wonders how the mike_c primitive, and the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher primitive (the "Proud2BLib" primitive) reconcile something else.

Both have alleged to be fiercely anti-capitalist.

Their pension funds are invested in Wall Street.

One wonders if when they retire, they're going to spurn their pensions, because of the origin of those pensions.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Right.

And one wonders how the mike_c primitive, and the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher primitive (the "Proud2BLib" primitive) reconcile something else.

Both have alleged to be fiercely anti-capitalist.

Their pension funds are invested in Wall Street.

One wonders if when they retire, they're going to spurn their pensions, because of the origin of those pensions.

No what they will do is complain that their Wall Street funded pensions aren't enough.

And then go off on some rant  about how it's the Republicans fault.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:25:18 AM by TxRadioguy »

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
No what they will do is complain that their Wall Street funded pensions aren't enough.

And then go off on some rant  about how it's the Republicans fault.

You know, sir, I have no particular beef against the mike_c primitive, but I'm really intrigued by this.

The mike_c primitive is getting closer and closer to retirement, when his pension kicks in.

The primitives allege themselves to be morally superior to we decent and civilized people, and so one has the right to expect them to act more morally than us.

Twenty-two years ago, when I was young and green in judgement, I rejected an inheritance from a late aunt, a sister of my mother, in the mid-five figures, because I was uncomfortable with the source of the money.

Of course people thought I was nuts, and that I was abysmally broke at the time, made them think even more badly of me.  But one can't help being oneself; I wanted to have nothing to do with it.

If I, an immoral and selfish degenerate, at least according to the primitives, could do that, surely it would not be unreasonable to expect the anti-capitalist mike_c primitive and the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher primitive, to live up to their anti-capitalist ideals and reject their Wall Street-based pensions.

Surely that's not too much to expect from those morally superior to us.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.

All of that DUmmy hand-wringing is complete and utter nonsense until they demand that Obama be frog-marched to the Hague to face charges of war crimes. Bush shoots missiles from drones, and he's a baby killer. Obama shoots missiles from drones, and he's pragmatic.

Come on, DUmbasses. Obama has blood on his hands, doesn't he?
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Surely that's not too much to expect from those morally superior to us.

But it IS too much to expect from them.  Libs have this inbred sense of self entitlement that gives them a feeling of superiority to "common folk" like you and me.

Never mind the fact that you and I could be...and probably are every bit as intelligent as they are.

People like the Bug Primitive and HorseWithNoName think that because of their political leanings...they are imminently superior to us in every way...no matter what personal short comings they have in real life.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

All of that DUmmy hand-wringing is complete and utter nonsense until they demand that Obama be frog-marched to the Hague to face charges of war crimes. Bush shoots missiles from drones, and he's a baby killer. Obama shoots missiles from drones, and he's pragmatic.

Come on, DUmbasses. Obama has blood on his hands, doesn't he?

Different President...different set of rules.

Offline jukin

When did liberal = communist start?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
When did liberal = communist start?

Near as I can tell, about 45 years ago.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist

That's an excellent summary of a vast majority of the primitives and their attitudes towards many things.  The emotional high they get from saying they care is the same to them as personally doing something.  But ask them to actually get their hands dirty, and there's just no way they even want to get near that.

The bug primitive's own words reveal just how fake he is.  Here's someone who claims they desire peace and tranquility, but his own disdain for those who does view issues the way he does paints an ugly picture of one who is anything but peaceful and tranquil towards others.

I see the original post was made on 12/04/08, so I would take it the bug primitive is even more disillusioned now.  Here's the thread.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4586722

And despite his disappointments, in 4 years the bug primitive will gladly and willingly pull the Dem lever and allow "The party uses us, then betrays us" to start all over again.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:14:43 AM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)

That is the depth of their stupidity. They don't understand and do not want to understand who exactly we are fighting against.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Exactly.  Enemy Combatants (the people we've been fighting for the past 7.5 years or so) are people who are not affiliated with a particular country, and who do not wear the uniform of any country.  That is what makes it a valuable term, but now Obama has discontinued it's use, so I don't know what they are called any more.  The Iraqi and Afghani militaries  are in the fight with us against the enemy combatants.

We don't use the term Enemy Combatants anymore. We now use the term,

"People who for some strange reason don't seem to like us much."
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Never mind the fact that you and I could be...and probably are every bit as intelligent as they are.

It's the "common sense defecit," Tx.  They are vastly more deficient in common sense than we are.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
It's the "common sense defecit," Tx.  They are vastly more deficient in common sense than we are.

That is no lie.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
That is no lie.

I'm sure that you've noticed this in your dealings with some of your soldiers--the least common commodity in the world is common sense.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl

We don't use the term Enemy Combatants anymore. We now use the term,

"People who for some strange reason don't seem to like us much."

Ah yes, doesn't that just roll off the tongue  :banghead: