Author Topic: subway cat has enough; sarcasm ensues  (Read 3002 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
subway cat has enough; sarcasm ensues
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5318069

Oh my.

Phoebe Loosinhouse  (1000+ posts)        Mon Mar-23-09 10:11 PM
Original message

Philosophic Interlude - What do you consider "enough"

If I were a columnist, these are the kinds of questions I would like to ask the "have mores" or as Bush called them, his base.

How many houses can you live in? How large do they need to be? How many cars can you drive? Private plane? How much food can you eat? How many dresses or suits can you wear? How much jewelry is sufficient? How many shoes are required? How many personal attendants must care for your needs? What size yacht is up to snuff? How much can you spend in a restaurant before you consider it wretched excess? How much do you spend on hair dressers? Is plastic surgery a necessity or a luxury? What is the most you would spend on a bottle of wine? What percentage of income should you pay in taxes? What's the most you would pay for a shower curtain? What personal idiosyncrasy do you spend more than you should on? Despite a luxurious lifestyle, do you hide money from the taxman? Do you pay your personal bills promptly? Do you ever have one moment of financial concern? What is your political affiliation? Why? Do you bother having health insurance or do you just self-insure? Have you ever lived on just a paycheck?

And, for the rest of us, not the "have mores", what do you aspire to? How would you answer those questions for yourself?

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Mon Mar-23-09 10:38 PM
Response to Original message

6. Enough to me is...

Affording healthy and nutritious foods to eat,and the means to store and prepare them.

Health care that is good quality with doctors I know and trust.

A home in a place that has plenty of things to do but isn't either isolated or crime ridden.A home with access to the means to grow my own food,,a home that is sound, comfortable to live in ,meets safety codes. Enough is that should it need repairs I can afford to repair it and maintain it.and I could afford to pay for the chores I can't do(like climbing ladders or doing lots of bending/shoveling) due to my back issues.

Enough is having the means to pay my bills and stay out of debt.

A good public transportation system to get around anywhere reliably.

Enough is access to education should I decide to acquire more.

A few sets of clothes I feel comfortable in,a winter coat etc.and the means to take care of them,and to replace them when they are worn out.

A little fund to set aside for art supplies and other creative things I do to relieve stress and heal.

Enough means having enough money to set some aside and save it up for special things.

Enough is also having enough money to help others out too.

ddeclue  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-23-09 11:12 PM
Response to Reply #6

12. Thank you Miss America...

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Tue Mar-24-09 02:22 AM
Response to Reply #12

15. Well

I once had money and it made my life miserable.I found out making money costs alot in emotional stress, stress in relationships and it can be traumatic,in how it changes everything, having was that way for me..

If I I had more than enough and I HAD to use it on myself, think it would be to finish my tattoo & body mod .

or go to Egypt and visit Sekhmet's temples.

If I could use the excess for anything

First I'd give a huge donation to on our own, hearts and ears, and spin.

Or I could buy some land and create a sustainable community that will be an "asshole free zone"..

Other than that, maybe make a feline sanctuary.

Other than those 4 things I really can't think of anything else I really would want.

And I am not a "miss".
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: subway cat has enough; sarcasm ensues
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
man these people are whacked/

Bush's base?? If I understand correctly the superrich, billionaires, lean lefty Democrat.

But what would they care?

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »
I once had money and it made my life miserable.

Does anybody believe that?

Also, is anybody surprised she'd use her little extra to finish up the tattoo and body mods, whatever that means?  Hope that doesn't cut into her art supply fund. 

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
Does anybody believe that?

Also, is anybody surprised she'd use her little extra to finish up the tattoo and body mods, whatever that means?  Hope that doesn't cut into her art supply fund. 
She's turning herself into a male cat. That kind of modification doesn't come cheap.  :-)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Just marking for later reading.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »
Quote from: UGP
or go to Egypt and visit Sekhmet's temples.

Naw.

What it should do is head to Saudi Arabia. The confusion created in the ranks of the Allah Police would be a crackup. Bonus is it would probably end up in a cell.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »
If I were a columnist, these are the kinds of questions I would like to ask the "have mores" or as Bush called them, his base.

How many houses can you live in? How large do they need to be?  We have one, about 1000 square feet.

How many cars can you drive?   3...His, Hers, and a backup (with about 200,000 miles on it)

Private plane?  Nope, unless you count paper models.

How much food can you eat?  Less than UP.  :-)

How many dresses or suits can you wear? How many shoes are required?We usually stick to one at a time.  Don't you??  :lmao:

How much jewelry is sufficient?   A wedding ring about does it.

How many personal attendants must care for your needs?  We have one.  I'm it. 

What size yacht is up to snuff?   Oh, we have the most lovely yacht...it sits on the top shelf in the living room.  In a bottle.

How much can you spend in a restaurant before you consider it wretched excess?   I don't know about most Bush supporters, but I cringe if we get up to $9 a plate.

How much do you spend on hair dressers?   Well, I did get my hair trimmed once, a few months ago.  And Mr Smith gets his cut about every other month...so I'd say maybe $150 a year.

Is plastic surgery a necessity or a luxury?   Is this another UP question?

What is the most you would spend on a bottle of wine?   Oops, sorry, we're Baptists...don't drink.

What percentage of income should you pay in taxes? A lot less than Uncle "O" is going to want next year.

What's the most you would pay for a shower curtain? I think I've gone as high as $11.

What personal idiosyncrasy do you spend more than you should on?   Definitely books.  We probably spend $30 a month on books.  Sometimes we have to skimp on groceries, don't you know.

Despite a luxurious lifestyle, do you hide money from the taxman?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Do you pay your personal bills promptly?   Yep.  On time every month.  Try it someday, you'll find it makes interest rates go down and everything.

Do you ever have one moment of financial concern?   Oh, no, never.  After all, it's just money.  God has been very good to us...we've never starved, gone without shelter (unless you still don't count trailers, then we've been homeless for years at a time), or been unable to afford clothes at Goodwill.

What is your political affiliation? Why?   Republican...because while they get a lot of things wrong, the Democrats get EVERYTHING wrong.

Do you bother having health insurance or do you just self-insure?   We are very grateful for the PPO provided by my employer, though Mr Smith is now insured through his employer because it saved us a little money...that helps out with the child support and college expenses we have to pay, don't you know.

Have you ever lived on just a paycheck? Ah, HA!  Finally...the biggest difference between the average Republican and the average DUmpMonkey...we EARN our money.    :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »
ask George Soros those questions he says the crisis has been very good to him... talking Billion+

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
I find it interesting that they never contemplate where this "stuff" that's "enough" will come from.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »
Yo DUmmie...ya can NEVER have to many shoes.....
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:36:48 PM »
Subway seems the sort that would sue for any trivial matter she could find.  Maybe even the sort to toss a few grapes on the floor at the supermarket and "slip" on them.  It would be a way where she could avoid much work, and she could have settled for a large amount at some point.  She is a savage and the sword of the law works as well as real spear at looting the productive.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »
These are the kind of people, UP, that really pi$$ me off. I have been on every spectrum-middle-class, lower-middle, dirt poor, and upper, upper middle class-wealthy. I have never taken handouts, never filed for unemployment, and never bitched and moaned. I just kept doing my thing, and am still the same person now that I was when dirt poor. I am one of those evil Rethuglicans in the top 10% that should be chased by DUmmies with pitchforks, yet, I am struggling through this mess right now, with everyone. I give large sums of money, (well, I did!), to charity, but now I'm not going to be able to do so. That would be money I assume would help someone like the DUmpmonkies, so I should be hated? Great logic there. I guess the fact that the vast majority of wealthy people, millionaires, billionaires, in this country vote for Dems, and Wall Street, while a capitalist organization, will always vote D, if they can get the deductions and goodies from the government, this seems to escape these type of people. The meme of the rich, capitalistic banker, that is always a Rethug. :thatsright:
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
These are the kind of people, UP, that really pi$$ me off. I have been on every spectrum-middle-class, lower-middle, dirt poor, and upper, upper middle class-wealthy. I have never taken handouts, never filed for unemployment, and never bitched and moaned. I just kept doing my thing, and am still the same person now that I was when dirt poor. I am one of those evil Rethuglicans in the top 10% that should be chased by DUmmies with pitchforks, yet, I am struggling through this mess right now, with everyone. I give large sums of money, (well, I did!), to charity, but now I'm not going to be able to do so. That would be money I assume would help someone like the DUmpmonkies, so I should be hated? Great logic there. I guess the fact that the vast majority of wealthy people, millionaires, billionaires, in this country vote for Dems, and Wall Street, while a capitalist organization, will always vote D, if they can get the deductions and goodies from the government, this seems to escape these type of people. The meme of the rich, capitalistic banker, that is always a Rethug. :thatsright:
Despite their continuous use of private charity, the DUmp (and most of the Dim-ocrats everywhere) remain convinced that the only "real" way to help the poor is through government entitlement programs...despite the clear truth that those programs are all set up in such a way as to trap people into being unable to ever live without them.  ::)

They also completely forget that most of their "illustrious" leaders are extremely wealthy...and add far more "greenhouse gases" to the environment every year than frugal "Repukes" ever have.  ::)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 08:45:25 AM »
Quote from:
Phoebe Loosinhouse

Philosophic Interlude - What do you consider "enough"

And the question back would be "Why is it any of your business?"

The primitives have completely missed the whole concept of the US Constitution, liberty, and freedom.  If someone desires a home in the hills and one near the ocean, and they work and pay for it, why shouldn't they have it?  If someone likes to collect and wear jewelry, or they want to buy really expensive shower curtains, why should the primitives care?  They shouldn't, that's the whole point.  But they do.  Jealousy and envy are the only things I can think of that would make someone want to restrict the American dream, and that's exactly what this primitive wants to do.  Why else would you ask of a fellow citizen "How much is enough?" except that, given the opportunity to do so, you would place limits on the American dream.

What the founding fathers had in mind when they formed the country has either completely passed over their heads, or they understand it and hate it.  My bet is on the latter.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »
Some of the questions really got to me but the one that reallly stuck out was the "How much would you pay for a shower curtain?".

Being in real estate I have been in some very nice homes.  I have to tell you .... maybe it is just my area but the really nice homes (read expensive) don't HAVE shower curtains.  They have walk in showers or glass doors.

I think the OP hasn't been around a lot of people who have money .... REAL money therefore it doesn't really know what to ask, let alone what it is talking about.

With said DUmmie not being around those with money then it does not understand a multitude of things about wealthy people.  Truly wealthy people.  Like; just how much they really spend in taxes; just how much they give to charity; how much they actually have invested in areas that are not liquid therefore really not money at this point but more a net worth thing (which is one I think most DUmmies have no clue about).

DUmmies don't have money therefore don't understand money.  Because of this they are truly ignorant about how money works.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »
Some of the questions really got to me but the one that reallly stuck out was the "How much would you pay for a shower curtain?".

Being in real estate I have been in some very nice homes.  I have to tell you .... maybe it is just my area but the really nice homes (read expensive) don't HAVE shower curtains.  They have walk in showers or glass doors.

I think the OP hasn't been around a lot of people who have money .... REAL money therefore it doesn't really know what to ask, let alone what it is talking about.

With said DUmmie not being around those with money then it does not understand a multitude of things about wealthy people.  Truly wealthy people.  Like; just how much they really spend in taxes; just how much they give to charity; how much they actually have invested in areas that are not liquid therefore really not money at this point but more a net worth thing (which is one I think most DUmmies have no clue about).

DUmmies don't have money therefore don't understand money.  Because of this they are truly ignorant about how money works.

KC
Yeah, like the idea that a farmer with a million dollars worth of land and equipment is "rich."  Never mind that he actually lives on $22,000 a year...in a good year.  ::)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 12:01:58 PM »
Yeah, like the idea that a farmer with a million dollars worth of land and equipment is "rich."  Never mind that he actually lives on $22,000 a year...in a good year.  ::)

Or the landlord who 'owns' 20 homes.  Yeah, on paper they may be worth a million bucks but in reality they are getting a small return on each property per month and still have to work a job to make ends meet.

KC

*Stolen

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 12:58:16 PM »
My shower curtain goes for about $20. But it is a really nice one with mesh pockets on it.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »
I can do this too. Looks like fun.

How many houses can you live in? Just one. I live in the dorm.

How large do they need to be? Maybe 200 sq ft, if I'm lucky.

How many cars can you drive? Just 1. A Kia of all things...

Private plane? Nope. The closest I'll ever get is the R/C variety.

How much food can you eat? A lot if I want to, but since I'm losing weight to go back into the service, I tend to limit myself to a salad and a small entree with tea to drink.

How many dresses or suits can you wear? Just one.

How much jewelry is sufficient? My watch and a ring. Probably add a wedding ring one of these days, but who knows.

How many shoes are required? I normally wear only one pair at a time... but lets see... running shoes, sandals, two pairs of dress shoes, work boots.

How many personal attendants must care for your needs? I'm pretty good at handling my needs by myself.

What size yacht is up to snuff? Well, I'd really like a Tornado, so 20 feet.

How much can you spend in a restaurant before you consider it wretched excess? If it's just me, about $15. If I'm on a date, there's no such thing.

How much do you spend on hair dressers? Get my hair cut every other month, $15 a pop... so that equals $90.

Is plastic surgery a necessity or a luxury? Wouldn't know, never had it.

What is the most you would spend on a bottle of wine? Depends. Normally, not more than $15-20, unless it's a special vintage.

What percentage of income should you pay in taxes? None.

What's the most you would pay for a shower curtain? I didn't buy the one in our head, but I'd guess it's probably less than $5.

What personal idiosyncrasy do you spend more than you should on? Books probably. Or my photography.

Despite a luxurious lifestyle, do you hide money from the taxman? Didn't know living in a dorm off my GI Bill was luxurious. Learn something new every day.

Do you pay your personal bills promptly? Yup. Just paid my tuition Thursday. That hurt.

Do you ever have one moment of financial concern? Yup. Of course. I'm having one lately, actually.

What is your political affiliation? Why? None. Too much stupidity from either party. But I've voted Rep, Dem, and third party.

Do you bother having health insurance or do you just self-insure? No health insurance, can't afford it. I'm covered for the little shit here at school, but if I get really bad off, guess I'll just have to pay off the evil hospital by myself. You know... payment plans.

Have you ever lived on just a paycheck? Only since I was 16. I made all of $4080 taxable income last year. Glad I have veterans benefits.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »

How many houses can you live in? How large do they need to be?  We have one, about 1000 square feet.

How many cars can you drive?   3...His, Hers, and a backup (with about 200,000 miles on it)

Private plane?  Nope, unless you count paper models.

How much food can you eat?  Less than UP.  :-)

How many dresses or suits can you wear? How many shoes are required?We usually stick to one at a time.  Don't you??  :lmao:

How much jewelry is sufficient?   A wedding ring about does it.

How many personal attendants must care for your needs?  We have one.  I'm it. 

What size yacht is up to snuff?   Oh, we have the most lovely yacht...it sits on the top shelf in the living room.  In a bottle.

How much can you spend in a restaurant before you consider it wretched excess?   I don't know about most Bush supporters, but I cringe if we get up to $9 a plate.

How much do you spend on hair dressers?   Well, I did get my hair trimmed once, a few months ago.  And Mr Smith gets his cut about every other month...so I'd say maybe $150 a year.

Is plastic surgery a necessity or a luxury?   Is this another UP question?

What is the most you would spend on a bottle of wine?   Oops, sorry, we're Baptists...don't drink.

What percentage of income should you pay in taxes? A lot less than Uncle "O" is going to want next year.

What's the most you would pay for a shower curtain? I think I've gone as high as $11.

What personal idiosyncrasy do you spend more than you should on?   Definitely books.  We probably spend $30 a month on books.  Sometimes we have to skimp on groceries, don't you know.

Despite a luxurious lifestyle, do you hide money from the taxman?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Do you pay your personal bills promptly?   Yep.  On time every month.  Try it someday, you'll find it makes interest rates go down and everything.

Do you ever have one moment of financial concern?   Oh, no, never.  After all, it's just money.  God has been very good to us...we've never starved, gone without shelter (unless you still don't count trailers, then we've been homeless for years at a time), or been unable to afford clothes at Goodwill.

What is your political affiliation? Why?   Republican...because while they get a lot of things wrong, the Democrats get EVERYTHING wrong.

Do you bother having health insurance or do you just self-insure?   We are very grateful for the PPO provided by my employer, though Mr Smith is now insured through his employer because it saved us a little money...that helps out with the child support and college expenses we have to pay, don't you know.

Have you ever lived on just a paycheck? Ah, HA!  Finally...the biggest difference between the average Republican and the average DUmpMonkey...we EARN our money.    :rotf:

Hi 5
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 08:05:17 PM »
Yo DUmmie...ya can NEVER have to many shoes.....

Additionally, if we could equate the insanity and comedic factor we see from the DUmp, we would ALL be millionaires.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 01:51:09 AM »
You folks on here can't be REAL rethuglicans!!! You're not rich! Why, you're, uhm, normal! I still guess I don't get their mindset. Surely they can see all the actors, musicans, bankers, investors, etc. that supported duh1. I think this is why I am so fascinated by this board. I don't know any of these people in real life. Even living in crappy trailer parks, 100 yr old houses that had ice on the inside of the windows come Fall, I never thought like that. Or was around people who did. I wasn't teasing when I posted the other day here that these people are like going to see the animals at the zoo, for me. UN freaking REAL.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »

KC

The damage leaky shower curtains do to the bathroom underfloor burns my soul, in every home I've owned I replaced them with a door kit from Lowe's or Home Despot.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 03:34:56 PM »
Face it, in their heart of hearts they happily wallow in their misery. The left just isn't happy unless they're somebody's bitch.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
The damage leaky shower curtains do to the bathroom underfloor burns my soul, in every home I've owned I replaced them with a door kit from Lowe's or Home Despot.
We got around the little prob...bought a house on a slab.   :-)  There are drawbacks, of course, but I love the fact that the kids can tear around, jump rope, "leap tall buildings," etc, without shaking the house.  :-)

Quote from: happy1ga [
You folks on here can't be REAL rethuglicans!!! You're not rich! Why, you're, uhm, normal! I still guess I don't get their mindset. Surely they can see all the actors, musicans, bankers, investors, etc. that supported duh1. I think this is why I am so fascinated by this board. I don't know any of these people in real life. Even living in crappy trailer parks, 100 yr old houses that had ice on the inside of the windows come Fall, I never thought like that. Or was around people who did. I wasn't teasing when I posted the other day here that these people are like going to see the animals at the zoo, for me. UN freaking REAL. 

Remember the voting maps...who votes Republican?  All those in "fly-over" country...the un-rich, sensible, everyday person...the kind that have a strong connection to reality and, usually, the Creator.  Who votes Democrat?  Big-city dwellers, college students and faculty, Hollyweird types, druggies, and those who are still stuck in adolescent rebellion regardless of age.  This is why the DUmp is so amusing...it's like watching pretend-adults making decisions that would shame a sensible 18 year old.