Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157714 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #375 on: September 24, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
I read that entire book (the one with the pictures).  My car doesn't do any of that stuff, so I guess I'm good to go.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #376 on: September 24, 2012, 07:32:53 PM »
Does that book read anything like John Muir's Volkswagen book? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #377 on: September 24, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
A little.  It describes why certain systems break down and how they're supposed to function when they're working properly.  It's more general than the Bentley manual but much better than a Haynes.  It's pretty good for a somewhat-detailed introduction to the MGB... I kind of wish I'd had something like this three or four months ago.

I haven't had a chance to look through the Chilton's book yet.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #378 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
You coulda been rich, zeit.  Check out these prices. :rofl:

I swear some of these people on Amazon are either mathematically impaired or completely clueless.  Do they check for spam?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #379 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »
You coulda been rich, zeit.  Check out these prices. :rofl:

I swear some of these people on Amazon are either mathematically impaired or completely clueless.  Do they check for spam?

Rather like the old jest  "Around here you can name your own salary, I call mine Fred".

I guess they can ask whatever they want but who in their right mind would pay that?  Yikes.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #380 on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
That's how I felt trying to track down a replacement ignition switch the other month.  "Genuine Lucas parts!" only $140!  Get it while it lasts!

Damn cutthroats.  I ended up finding a replacement for less than $40 with shipping.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #381 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »
$300 for a new tach. :o

I may have to wait until Christmas.

There is no Santa Claus.   :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #382 on: September 25, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
That's how I felt trying to track down a replacement ignition switch the other month.  "Genuine Lucas parts!" only $140!  Get it while it lasts!

Damn cutthroats.  I ended up finding a replacement for less than $40 with shipping.

I got a free upgraded Lucas alternator* with my B once.   

*(with purchase of Moss supercharger kit)

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #383 on: September 25, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

There is no Santa Claus.   :tongue:

Hey now, there might be!  Santa Battle will have to dig through his bag of stuff and see if he has one that is the right model, and works. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
I'll mail you some Christmas cash for one. 

I wiped my seats down with some Armor All.  Man, what an improvement.  They look new.  It also cleaned up my door panels pretty well.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #385 on: September 25, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »
You might want to be careful with that Armor-all stuff.  I know it can actually dry out vinyl and any stitch-work on your seats. 

I've always used just straight mineral oil (or baby oil) on all my vinyl pieces with never any problems. 

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #386 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »
You might want to be careful with that Armor-all stuff.  I know it can actually dry out vinyl and any stitch-work on your seats. 

I've always used just straight mineral oil (or baby oil) on all my vinyl pieces with never any problems. 

I stopped using it years ago.  I now use Lexol for softening and cleaning if real bad and Mother's Leather Conditioner for finishing.  (It contains neatsfoot oil and lanolin).

I agree you might want to be careful with Armor-all.  Werd is that it can cause cracking in dash caps that see a lot of sun. 

Mineral oil or baby oil works as long as you work it in well & Baby Oil leaves a chick friendly smell. :rotf:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #387 on: September 26, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »

Mineral oil or baby oil works as long as you work it in well & Baby Oil leaves a chick friendly smell. :rotf:

Chris, I think zeit and I and trying to help you out here.  :naughty: 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #388 on: September 27, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
"Hey, is that a Mustang?" ::)

I have 90 pounds of golf balls in the front seat, mostly because they wouldn't all fit in the trunk.  This should be interesting.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
The car made it to Arkansas with no problem.  I was wondering why that damn car was such a sweatbox... I've been driving around with the heat on. :thatsright:

Do you happen to know how much the MIN to MAX gauge is on the dipstick?  It's usually one quart.  That way I'll be able to tell how much oil it burned over the last six hours.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »
The car made it to Arkansas with no problem.  I was wondering why that damn car was such a sweatbox... I've been driving around with the heat on. :thatsright:

Do you happen to know how much the MIN to MAX gauge is on the dipstick?  It's usually one quart.  That way I'll be able to tell how much oil it burned over the last six hours.

It's not quite a quart, maybe like 70-80% of a quart.  I know if I take it down to the low mark on mine and put a full quart in, I'm a little above the maximum. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #391 on: September 29, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »
I was down to the MIN mark when I parked my car two hours ago.  I put in half a quart.

I think I may have found the source of the burning oil smell.  I think the valve cover gasket may be leaking.  It was wet around one corner and had dripped down the side of the block.  Not a lot... just enough to make an odor.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:40:42 AM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #392 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
I managed to burn 1 quart of oil over 700 miles.  Not bad considering most of it was at 70mph.

Top speed through Arkansas was 95.  :II:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #393 on: September 30, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »
I did an oil change earlier today and added a bottle of NDDP.  Holy cow, that stuff was like syrup.  The only 20w50 I could find was Valvoline... the only Rotell available was some odd grade like 15w40. 

Bougt a new toolbox for my birthday.  Yay, me.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #394 on: September 30, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
I did an oil change earlier today and added a bottle of NDDP.  Holy cow, that stuff was like syrup.  The only 20w50 I could find was Valvoline... the only Rotell available was some odd grade like 15w40. 

Bougt a new toolbox for my birthday.  Yay, me.

Everything you said sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher to me...wah wah wahhhhhhh. Except for "tool box".

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
I managed to burn 1 quart of oil over 700 miles.  Not bad considering most of it was at 70mph.

Top speed through Arkansas was 95.  :II:

:o

Oh, I forgot, it's an English car.  Never mind.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #396 on: October 06, 2012, 11:40:37 PM »
So... two things I've noticed.  1: Compared to my GPS, my speedometer is faster by as much as 5 MPH.  2: Something changed and my car has gotten louder.  I need to get rid of those platinum plugs and see if that changes, or maybe I have a small hole in my exhaust somewhere.  I thought my muffler had fallen off at some point, it's that loud. :rotf:

After switching oil grades, I'm not burning nearly as much.  I'll have to check it in the morning.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #397 on: October 07, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
So... two things I've noticed.  1: Compared to my GPS, my speedometer is faster by as much as 5 MPH.  2: Something changed and my car has gotten louder.  I need to get rid of those platinum plugs and see if that changes, or maybe I have a small hole in my exhaust somewhere.  I thought my muffler had fallen off at some point, it's that loud. :rotf:

After switching oil grades, I'm not burning nearly as much.  I'll have to check it in the morning.

Depending on your $$ situation I would say look into a good set of headers and an Abarth exhaust system.  I use to use Champion Platinum tipped plugs.  Meh, easy to change and gap.   

Oil?  I use to use Wolf's Head (the line we carried at the auto parts) and changed it by grade with the season per the book. 

Half the fun maintenance. If you don't love it buy a Pepe car. :rotf:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #398 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
I've put two Peco exhaust systems on my own MGs, and helped put a third on another MG.  I'm not sure how the Abarth exhaust stacks up, or if you can even get an entire system, but I can attest to the quality of the Peco.  (Note, I run the Peco header, too). 

Make sure whatever oil you are running is suitable for an engine without roller tappets, else you'll end up wiping your tappets or your cam, or both.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #399 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
Make sure whatever oil you are running is suitable for an engine without roller tappets, else you'll end up wiping your tappets or your cam, or both.
Isn't that the purpose of the zinc additive?  I used 15w40 Rotella with my last oil change but it seemed too thin and my oil pressure dropped as then engine got hotter.  I picked up a jug of regular Valvoline 20w50 and a quart of NDDP to do an oil change last week.  Now my oil pressure is fine but my engine seems a little sluggish and takes more effort to rev than it did previously.  It's also louder, but I haven't checked to see if anything is loose or missing yet.