Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 159905 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
It's a lot of little jobs that are a pain in the ass.  Next time, I'm just buying a parts car and leaving it in the driveway until I'm finished.

The luxuries of owning your own home, redneck style.   :cheersmate:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
You can always sell it for cash.  I was on a first-name basis with a guy in my last neighborhood.  "Hey, Francisco!  I need a car towed!"  He'd show up like clockwork.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »
Depending on how much you pay for a parts car, most of the time you can easily make your money back, if you are patient and don't mind futzing around pulling odds and ends to sell. 

Then when you're done, Francisco can come tow the lump to the scrapper.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
I can easily find >$500 cars on Craigslist.  It's not as easy as it used to be since King Barry's Used Car Emporium went crazy and started destroying their inventory in return for a gubmint check, but they're still out there.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:59 PM »
Oh yeah, tell me about it.  Perfectly good cars going to the scrap yards.  That still makes my blood boil thinking about it.  You still see a lot of Camrys running around though. Tough things, they are. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »
Best car they ever made.  I'm partial to the SE model... tighter suspension and a little more nimble than the standard/luxury version.  Front wheel drive can be fun if you do it right.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »
$50 for a new ignition switch from Moss.  They were out of the electrical switch so I had to order the entire thing. :(

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
Bambi can be hard on your car, but watch out for Obambi.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
So, my cheapest-on-ebay-but-still-an-exact-color-match-with-free-shipping fender arrived today.  You won't be able to tell a thing happened. 

I wish all ebay transactions were like this one. 

I've had to rearrange money allotted to buying the B a couple oil lines, and brake rebuild kits, though.  I might still try to sneak them past spousal unit. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
I purchased a replacement switch from Moss Motors and they sent me the wrong one. 

This is what I pulled out of the car.  You can see the points are gummed up and filthy.  I'm going to try cleaning it and putting it back together, but I forgot how to put that spring back in. :bawl:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
This is disconcerting.  The ignition switch in the car matches the six-wire schematic for the previous year (1972).  1973 only had four wires and omitted the second brown wire and the blue or grey (slate) wire from '72.

edit: The electrical switch from the Triumph Spitfire/TR6/TR7 may be a direct replacement.  With the exception of the White/Green wire (Triumph is White/Pink), it looks nearly identical. 

edit:  I was right.  The TR6 and MGB use the same switch.  The later ones have the correct wiring harness.
Ignition/Starter/Auxiliary Switch - MGB/TR6
Combined Ignition and Starter Switch with left position for Auxiliary circuits such as radio. With chrome bezel and Lucar connectors. Requires 19.6 mm diameter hole. Supplied with fixed Barrel & Key. Rated at 5 amps for Ignition, 16 amps for Starter and 15 amps for Auxiliary.This Ignition and Starter Switch was fitted to MGB and TR6. These are no longer available from Lucas, and so this is a quality reproduction

edit: Ordered a replacement switch.  It should be here tomorrow.

Still haven't replaced my rebound straps.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:53:14 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
The new switch arrived.  It looks like a previous owner added a second brown wire in the middle of the wiring harness to match up with the old switch.  I removed it and taped it off.

My new 50mm lens arrived, so I'm messing around with that at the same time.

The previous switch p/n (the one with six wires) is 39753.  I'm not sure what the blue wire is for, so I taped that off as well.  I found replacements here for half the price of what Moss charged me.

http://classicgarage.com/mgbmgtmiigsw.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:34:53 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »
It works! :yahoo:

Now I just have to figure out what the purple light blue and pink and grey wires are for.  Tach is still dead but the radio works again.  Now I'll have to reset all my stations again and buy an MP3 player.

edit:  I should probably check the ground on the tachometer.  I overlooked it on the wiring diagram.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:16:26 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
What kind of weird Frankenstein car is this?  I have three loose wires with bullet connections on the ends under the dash... this is what I can find out about them based on color.

Light blue = dimmer/flash-to-pass switch
Pink = ballast resistor
Slate = anti run-on valve

This car is so confusing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
The marker and tail lights on the opposite corners (front left, rear right) are out and my horn doesn't work.  Other than that, everything seems okay so far.  If I only drove it during the day, I would be okay.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this problem... someone suggested checking out fuse #4.

Still need to work on this Camry.  The clutch is still f'ed up. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:48:06 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »
The marker and tail lights on the opposite corners (front left, rear right) are out and my horn doesn't work.  Other than that, everything seems okay so far.  If I only drove it during the day, I would be okay.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this problem... someone suggested checking out fuse #4.

Still need to work on this Camry.  The clutch is still f'ed up. 

I'd definitely get in there and clean that fuse box up.  And then, hit all your grounds.  I'll bet your horn is a grounding issue (it was on my first B).

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
Remind me to kill myself if I ever think about buying a British car.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »
Remind me to kill myself if I ever think about buying a British car.
You're thinking about it now, aren't you ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

You just know he is, dontcha?   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »
The suicide or the car? :lmao:

It's just a minor inconvenience, that's all.  Also, my radio no longer stores any of my stations when I turn the car off.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
The suicide or the car? :lmao:

It's just a minor inconvenience, that's all.  Also, my radio no longer stores any of my stations when I turn the car off.

:thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2012, 01:54:26 PM »

If I'm going to torture myself, I'll go Italian. They got it down.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
"If you hate it now, wait until you drive it."

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
If I'm going to torture myself, I'll go Italian. They got it down.

Well....you do have a point there...
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »

Well....you do have a point there...

Yup, owned one two. Still loved the damn things.