Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157632 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #500 on: February 05, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
Nah, this was another car I was driving, like a Toyota or a Buick.  I didn't care.

I think my MG cap may be aftermarket.  It's got this cheap loop on it that keeps it from falling off.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #501 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
Nah, this was another car I was driving, like a Toyota or a Buick.  I didn't care.

I think my MG cap may be aftermarket.  It's got this cheap loop on it that keeps it from falling off.

This is factory.  Does it look like this?

They are supposed to have a strap that loops down around the filler neck and connects to that brass rivet in the middle of the cap.  I actually the caps look better without it.  At least I tell myself that so I don't have to buy another one.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #502 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
Yeah, that's it.

The strap is broken.  I'm glad I haven't lost it yet.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »
I called Mallory and got the correct part number for a new cap and rotor and was able to order one (with shipping) for under $40.

Not bad.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
I called Mallory and got the correct part number for a new cap and rotor and was able to order one (with shipping) for under $40.

Not bad.

I keep forgetting you have that Mallory (dual points?) distributor. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:50 AM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
Haters be hatin'.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #507 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
Yay, a free oil filler cap.  :rofl:

I had my oil changed at one of those quick change places with another car and the son of a bitch swiped my OEM cap and replaced it with a crappy aftermarket one.  Bastard.
:censored: :banghead: :censored:  Repeat after me "I will never succome to the temptation of letting a quickie oil change place work on my vehicle."  Bad! Bad!! Bad!!!, experiences are all I have ever had.  They hire the mechanically challenged just for sport.  Want the wrong drain plug reinstalled or how about just cross thread it?  How about the wrong filter? Oh wait, we can bung up the threads on that too.   Yep they can do some awesome things even just driving your vehicle in and out.  Scary. 

I was down by the MG place just yesterday.  I swear a Bug Eyed Sprite winked at me.  :naughty:  (They are right next door to a great place to get boat fresh fish).
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #508 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »
Did it blow you a kiss too? :rofl:

I did some more shopping today.  I'm sending the tachometer to Nisonger to be rebuilt and I ordered a bunch of replacement parts for stuff that is broken.  The door top rail is falling apart.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #509 on: February 08, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »

Wait, were you driving behind me today on the way to the barbecue restaurant?  Did you see what fell off, and where it went?   :-)

Just joking.  I've only lost one part that way that I can remember.  I was going down the interstate, and heard the distinct 'tink tink' sound of something falling out of the engine bay, and bouncing on the firewall, the floorboard, and finally the gas tank before it was lost to the nether-region of the emergency lanes of the interstate.  I can't even remember what it was now.  I think it was a bolt for the carbs. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #510 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
Just curious, did you re-jet your carburetors when you installed the supercharger?

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #511 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
I have one giant ABF634 SU that hangs off the back of the supercharger.  The needle is what shipped with it, although I did change the air filter and body with a custom unit was designed by APT Fast, so that it can draw more air. 

The stock air filter and housing doesn't draw as much air, resulting in an over-rich condition at high rpms.  I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to try to get this air filter on or off, though.  It's tight.

The newer supercharger kits from Moss moved the body of the supercharger further forward,to facilitate a larger air cleaner.  I've heard the new units are not as aesthetically pleasing as the earlier units like mine, though. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #512 on: February 09, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Perhaps this would have made things a little clearer-- this is a draw-through supercharger system, not a blow-through.  The vanes of the supercharger are specially treated with a coating, since they are constantly sprayed with gasoline.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #513 on: February 09, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
1974 MG B GT

I could buy it... or not. :-)

That won't stay up for long.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's already sold.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #514 on: February 09, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
1974 MG B GT

I could buy it... or not. :-)

That won't stay up for long.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's already sold.

It's been awhile since I've looked at prices on these.  But on that one I see door cars that have water damage, dusty gauges, so it may have been sitting for awhile, a piece of what may be a broken piece of trim in front of the gear shifter, and a non-original steering wheel.

I'd still let it in my driveway, though.  :-)  I think the rubber bumper GTs look much, much better than their convertible counterparts.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #515 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
I'm holding out for a '63 Fairlane or a '68-'82 Corvette.  I need an American car to round out my collection.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #516 on: February 11, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
I'm holding out for a '63 Fairlane or a '68-'82 Corvette.  I need an American car to round out my collection.

I would kill for a '68 Vette. I'd even clean the ashtray out.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #517 on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
I would kill for a '68 Vette. I'd even clean the ashtray out.

My roommate, a Thai student, bought a brand new yellow 68 Vette with a 350hp and T tops.  Nice ride which he totally trashed.   :bawl:

It was quick I will give it that.  My other roomie had a  '67 396 Chevelle SS which might have been a shade quicker.  Me?  I had a '55 TR2. :yahoo:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #518 on: February 11, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
The timing belt on my Camry slipped.  Looks like I'm back to the MG.

Spring needs to hurry up and get here.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #519 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
After some digging around, I don't think it's the timing belt... I think the Toyota's torque converter may be stuck.  The car is at the garage.  I just need to get it unstuck (and probably get a fluid/filter change while it's off the car).

We'll see what happens.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #520 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:16 PM »
Gonna be cold this weekend.  I was hoping to get the exhaust gaskets on the MG changed out on Saturday/Sunday -- doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #521 on: February 12, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »
Gonna be cold this weekend.  I was hoping to get the exhaust gaskets on the MG changed out on Saturday/Sunday -- doesn't look like it's going to happen.

That sucks about the Camry.  Are your exhaust gaskets leaking on the B, or what?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #522 on: February 12, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »
Yeah, they leak and they're loud.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #523 on: February 12, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Looks like my Camry needs a new transmission.  He said it would be about a thousand dollars.  I'll have my car back by Friday.

On the other hand, I went over the carbs on the MG and the dampers were low on oil.  Filled it up to the top of reservoir, lowered the idle, and I think that may have fixed my lean-running problem.  I'm going to change out this cheapass fuel filter because I'm seeing some foaming in it and I need something larger that will hold an ource of gas while the engine runs to prevent that from happening.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:26:48 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #524 on: February 12, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
I'm going to change out this cheapass fuel filter because I'm seeing some foaming in it and I need something larger that will hold an ource of gas while the engine runs to prevent that from happening.

Interesting.  The one I use is slightly tapered, but has a 6" circumference at the largest.  Are you running one of those little bitty ones that is the size of your thumb?