Author Topic: Tools  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Gratiot

Tools
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:28:03 PM »
Do tool brands even mean anything any more?  Or even country of origin for that matter?

It's with great reluctance that I've come to the conclusion, at least IMO that there's no denying Taiwan and China (to some extent) can manufacture great quality tools.  Especially seeing as Matco and Snap On are at least partially made there now.  Germany, France, Japan, Sweden, and Italy have always had some great tool lines.  But it seems everything now is just relabeled and contract produced now, sigh... at least it means there's some great bargains for quality tools now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:35:20 PM by Gratiot »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »
Do tool brands even mean anything any more?  Or even country of origin for that matter?

It's with great reluctance that I've come to the conclusion, at least IMO that there's no denying Taiwan and China (to some extent) can manufacture great quality tools.  Especially seeing as Matco and Snap On are at least partially made there now.  Germany, France, Japan, Sweden, and Italy have always had some great tool lines.  But it seems everything now is just relabeled and contract produced now, sigh... at least it means there's some great bargains for quality tools now.

YES!! Chinese hand tools are made to very loose tolerances and cheap steel. Even Sears Craftsman Tools are crap when compared to Matco, Snap-On, MAC, etc. A Craftsman Phillips screwdriver will strip out a phillips head screw in a NY minute. The better quality tools won't. Even Craftsman wrenches will "expand" when too much torque is applied. I've watched it happen. I DO have a set of tools that was made in China that I keep in the truck for emergency repairs. Those seem to be pretty decent. I found them at a Walmart in Virginia. I haven't been able to find another set like them. (It's a "Popular Mechanics" set with just about everything one could need for vehicle maintenance.)

That said, when it comes to drills drivers, electric saws, weed eaters, and some things like that, I've had really good luck with Ryobi. HOWEVER, their drill bits are mediocre.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »
Do not buy anything at Harbor Freight.  This I know.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »
Do not buy anything at Harbor Freight.  This I know.

They sell a lot of Chinese junk. But, I got some good deals on Peltor hearing protectors there. 1/3 of the price at other places.

Vise-Grip is Taiwan produced now. You can still buy the American ones, but, they cost more. They are worth the quality. The Taiwanese ones wear out faster.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
I wouldn't mind one of the Dewalt rapid fire nail guns.

http://toolmonger.com/2008/07/14/update-dewalt-16/
 :-)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
Do tool brands even mean anything any more?  Or even country of origin for that matter?

It's with great reluctance that I've come to the conclusion, at least IMO that there's no denying Taiwan and China (to some extent) can manufacture great quality tools.  Especially seeing as Matco and Snap On are at least partially made there now.  Germany, France, Japan, Sweden, and Italy have always had some great tool lines.  But it seems everything now is just relabeled and contract produced now, sigh... at least it means there's some great bargains for quality tools now.
Matco and snap on are very expensive and not worth the money unless you are a mechanic. Craftsman has gone down in quality but they have a lifetime replacement. As far as power tools...I spend the money for either makita or porter cable better quality and more power! I disagree with Thor...I think Ryobis are junk along with craftsman power tools...Have burned up both in my time! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
Matco and snap on are very expensive and not worth the money unless you are a mechanic. Craftsman has gone down in quality but they have a lifetime replacement. As far as power tools...I spend the money for either makita or porter cable better quality and more power! I disagree with Thor...I think Ryobis are junk along with craftsman power tools...Have burned up both in my time! :-)

I have a Ryobi Drill (18V that's four years old and still going strong) I have a Ryobi Circular saw (corded) that's 12 years old and works like new. Dollar for dollar, I'll match the Ryobi to your Makitas or Porter Cables. Hell, I used my Ryobi drill drivers on aircraft and my vehicles all of the time. The biggest problem I have with the Ryobis are dropping them from a height of over six feet. The frame didn't survive. When I was working on aircraft and vehicles (my own) Craftsmen tools were FAR inferior, especially when it came to aircraft. (sizing, fit, etc just weren't as good as snap on or other better tools) Cars, not as bad, but the wrenches or sockets would still round off bolt heads when Snap On tools wouldn't. For general around the house use, they'll get a person by.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »
I bought a complete line of Craftsman tools in the early Eighties, plus inherited a few from my Dad - he probably bought those in the Sixties. I managed to wear out a 3/8 drive ratchet and had that replaced a couple months ago. OMG. The difference in quality was like night and day.

For what I do, Craftsman is still okay. Just bought a 1/2" drive ratchet and sockets (12 point - God, I hate those) and a few extensions. Like Thor said, they get me by. I am by no means any kind of mechanic - just get 'er done.

As far as power tools is concerned, I'll buy Black and Decker. It's cheap, it's not something that a real mechanic would use, but that gets me by too. I have two 3/8" drive drill drivers, 18V, and I use 'em fairly often. I have a 1/2" drive corded drill that I bought in the Seventies and it's still going strong, and I have a . A hammer drill, Ryobi compound miter saw (this is another one I use all the time) and a Makashita portable table saw round out my power tools, except for a few more drills.

One can never have too many drills.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
I bought a complete line of Craftsman tools in the early Eighties, plus inherited a few from my Dad - he probably bought those in the Sixties. I managed to wear out a 3/8 drive ratchet and had that replaced a couple months ago. OMG. The difference in quality was like night and day.

For what I do, Craftsman is still okay. Just bought a 1/2" drive ratchet and sockets (12 point - God, I hate those) and a few extensions. Like Thor said, they get me by. I am by no means any kind of mechanic - just get 'er done.

As far as power tools is concerned, I'll buy Black and Decker. It's cheap, it's not something that a real mechanic would use, but that gets me by too. I have two 3/8" drive drill drivers, 18V, and I use 'em fairly often. I have a 1/2" drive corded drill that I bought in the Seventies and it's still going strong, and I have a . A hammer drill, Ryobi compound miter saw (this is another one I use all the time) and a Makashita portable table saw round out my power tools, except for a few more drills.

One can never have too many drills.

When I was building my deck when I lived in Becker, MN, I had FOUR Ryobi battery drills, 2-12 Volt & 2-14 Volt. They worked awesomely. (I had a crew of six helping to screw the deck boards down) I had two corded drills , too.  1300 sq ft deck.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »
I use alot of "cheap" tools at work, eventhough it's my livlihood. PIttsburgh Forge, CT, ect..... for over 25 years. I've had Craftsman ratchets break before Husky's ever did. I do not believe in the Mattco, Snap-on, or
any other "must buy USA made" hype. Sorry, they haven't held up as well as the chicom, chiwanese or Japanese stuff.
I don't own my soul/paycheck to the Snap-off man either.

The "Pro" stuff at HF is pretty damn good, and you won't go broke.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »
I picked up an Allen wrench socket at Auto Zone on my way to the junkyard because it was convenient.  The second I put any torque on it, that stupid thing shredded into a dozen pieces.  I switched to the no-name forged Allen wrenches in my toolbox, which I should have done in the first place.  Stupid waste of money.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
"Black & Decker"-branded household products in the Americas (but outside of Brazil) are marketed by a division of Applica, a Florida-based corporation much smaller than Black & Decker Corporation. None of Black & Decker's power tools are manufactured in the United States of America any longer.

Brands include:

* DeWalt
    * Porter-Cable
    * Delta Machinery
    * DeVilbiss Air Power
    * Kwikset
    * Baldwin
    * Weiser Lock
    * Price Pfister
    * Emhart Teknologies
    * Oldham Blades
    * Black and Decker Firestorm
    * Vector

:whistling: FYI

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
Most of my power-tools are Makita, mechanical tools like wrenches, spanners and socket sets are Bahco and non-powered carpentry tools are from Stanley.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 06:35:30 PM »
Hand tools I have mostly NAPA premium ones with some of their cheaper Evercraft stuff.
More specialized things are all across the board,torque wrench is an SK,dial indicators,bore gauges and calipers are various brands with some OTC specialty engine tools.

I have found MSC to be a good source of tools.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »
I buy cheap tools because if they don't break, I lose them.   :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:  But my very favorites are some from my grandfather.  I have no clue how old they are, but I started being really careful with them because they were passed down...and kept being really careful not to lay them down anywhere because they are way better than anything I've found anywhere today.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »
I've filled up three toolboxes with tools so far.  I've had to replace some of them that broke through my own negligence (I'm on my second vacuum gauge) and some I had to throw out because they broke during normal use (I've lost a few hand wrenches because the bolt head broke off inside and I couldn't get it back out).  I couldn't really give you a brand name, but I would be willing to try Snap-On or Matco if I could find them in the stores I go to.  I buy what is available, which usually suits my purposes.   

I've found more often that a tool that suits its purpose will do a better job than one that does not.  Task-specific tools can be a pain in the ass, but they're better than trying to bullshit your way through a job and damaging the tools you have or the machine you're working on.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:26:05 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
I've filled up three toolboxes with tools so far.  I've had to replace some of them that broke through my own negligence (I'm on my second vacuum gauge) and some I had to throw out because they broke during normal use (I've lost a few hand wrenches because the bolt head broke off inside and I couldn't get it back out).  I couldn't really give you a brand name, but I would be willing to try Snap-On or Matco if I could find them in the stores I go to.  I buy what is available, which usually suits my purposes.   

I've found more often that a tool that suits its purpose will do a better job than one that does not.  Task-specific tools can be a pain in the ass, but they're better than trying to bullshit your way through a job and damaging the tools you have or the machine you're working on.

Snap-On, MATCO, & MAC can only be purchased from their retailers. They drive BIG tool trucks.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
Snap-On, MATCO, & MAC can only be purchased from their retailers. They drive BIG tool trucks.
Am I supposed to flag one down?  Jump into traffic to get it's attention?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

LOL, yep!! Jump right out in front of them !!!  :-)

On the serious side, find a mechanic shop that uses them and ask when they come by or get a phone number. I will caution you, they ARE EXPENSIVE!!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »

I've found more often that a tool that suits its purpose will do a better job than one that does not.  Task-specific tools can be a pain in the ass, but they're better than trying to bullshit your way through a job and damaging the tools you have or the machine you're working on.

Again, I'm no mechanic, but this is absolutely spot on. Trying to improvise using a tool usually winds up with something busted (like the very thing I'm trying to fix), or something more painful like my knuckles or some other body part.

I'll go buy the damned tool and, usually what happens, forget I own it before I need it again. Then wind up buying another one.  :banghead:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
That's why I have extra toolboxes.  I've used my fuel pressure gauge once, but I have to keep it somewhere.  Ditto for the vacuum gauge... I don't want to by another one.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
I used to haul all my shit around the Pull-a-Part in a single toolbox until I wised up and bought a small one to keep the bare minimum of tools in.  Now I don't wear myself out hiking to the end of the yard.

The other boxes eventually filled up on their own.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:54:36 PM by chris_ »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 01:37:06 AM »
My tool box is 40" wide, 20" deep and about 68" tall. It doesn't transport very easily....

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »

Chris, you can actually order Snap On and Matco tools from their websites.  Supposedly, after your spending reaches a certain limit, a local dealer will call you and try and build a relationship.  They often discount via a flyer or email a group of tools every month or so, offering great deals on high end tools.

Generally, attempting to buy off of the trucks though is a PITA if you're an individual, try the online route. 

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
YES!! Chinese hand tools are made to very loose tolerances and cheap steel. Even Sears Craftsman Tools are crap when compared to Matco, Snap-On, MAC, etc. A Craftsman Phillips screwdriver will strip out a phillips head screw in a NY minute. The better quality tools won't. Even Craftsman wrenches will "expand" when too much torque is applied. I've watched it happen. I DO have a set of tools that was made in China that I keep in the truck for emergency repairs. Those seem to be pretty decent. I found them at a Walmart in Virginia. I haven't been able to find another set like them. (It's a "Popular Mechanics" set with just about everything one could need for vehicle maintenance.)

That said, when it comes to drills drivers, electric saws, weed eaters, and some things like that, I've had really good luck with Ryobi. HOWEVER, their drill bits are mediocre.

I absolutely agree that Matco and Snap-On are spot on, for generally having the highest quality tools across their given lines.  You're paying a premium, but the quality and service is phenomenal!  However, it seems all of the cross-spectrum tool brands utilize contract manufacturing now and have shipped production overseas.  It just seems a bit irksome to me at times, granted... with those brands you're also paying for customer service and support.

Amongst the widely considered Tier 1 brands:

Snap-On, now has one of the largest high-quality tool production facilities in... China.  They produce for other brands, parts for Snap-On's internal customers (to be assembled in America), and coincidentally have now removed the "Made in the USA" stamps on their tools.  Even Snap-On's website, lists more and more of not just the Blue-Point line but Snap-On as well, as having China or Taiwan listed as the country of origin.  Still, Snap-On makes some of the best tools in the world, without question.  Although, with some items, others makes are better.

Matco, is pretty much right beside Snap-On, for the most part, IMHO.  However, Matco is getting more and more into contract and Taiwanese manufacturing.  The quality IS still there, without a doubt IMO, but it's still irksome.  Thankfully, most of Matco's outsourcing tends to go to Snap-On like quality manufacturers such as Knipex, Whitte, Facom, etc.  Still, unless you're receiving a great discount, or are utilizing Matco's warranty, the average person can save a bundle by ordering directly from the source brands.  I also tend to think Matco's boxes are, on average, higher quality than Snap-On's or at least particularly in the sub-$10k boxes.

Mac, eeks... I pretty much stay far away from, and the whole "MadeAcrossChina" jests, don't seem too far off based.  Regardless, I've personally never had the best experience with Mac, and with how the whole Stanley fiasco unfolded... I'm too leery of the company.

Cornwell, I've never had much experience with.  They don't, or used to not allow online ordering, seeing as it's an employee/dealer owned company.  From scanning their catalogs though, it's apparent that a lot of it is contract manufactured out.  Sometimes it's worth it to pay more, if you're having great service from a truck or sales rep visiting you, but if you're not...

Armstrong, which now can be found at Sears.com and local Fastenal distributors in addition to industrial supply houses are still one of the best all around professional quality brands with a balance of quality, service, and value.  Danaher has been always aiming to target the brand to industrial facilities as about 10-15% below Snap-On in quality, but at upwards of a 25-30% savings.  Considering distributors can often give additional discounts as loss leaders, they really can be a great buy.  Plus, their hand tools at least are made here.

Of course, than again you have the Knipex, Whitte, Facom, Wiha, Wera, Beta, etc. Euro brands which without a doubt are all up there, but a bit hard to find or have serviced here.

Not that Craftsman is considered in the same quality as those listed above, but there older stuff was of much higher quality, but long ago they realized more profits were to be had making tools for the masses.  Certainly they're no where near the quality of the above brands.  Additionally, they're marketing their brand now, and so almost all of it is contract manufactured out.  My work actually banned Craftsman, not because they're necessarily bad tools, but because depending on who made the tools at the time... the quality would have staggering levels of difference.  At times though, and with Sears aggressive discounting, Craftsman Pro tools are some of the highest quality and best valued tools, period!  For awhile they had Knipex producing some tongue and groove pliers, Matco adjustable wrenches, and Armstrong sockets... of course, the next production cycle can have a new lowest-cost bidder, with a quality level that falls in suit.  Which of course, could be irritating when you go in to replace a high-end Armstrong socket and are given garbage.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:18:13 PM by Gratiot »