Author Topic: Anyone Collect Glass?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Anyone Collect Glass?
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I've inherited a couple hundred pieces, from 3 different people, because I'm the only female left.  :p  I have Fenton, Westmoreland, Imperial, milk glass, crystal. You name it, I have it. There's so much, I had to rent a storage unit.

Anyone know about this stuff? Or know a collector?
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Anyone Collect Glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »
I've inherited a couple hundred pieces, from 3 different people, because I'm the only female left.  :p  I have Fenton, Westmoreland, Imperial, milk glass, crystal. You name it, I have it. There's so much, I had to rent a storage unit.

Apha, I have boxes and boxes of glass bottles we find on the shore line of the river.   This river has been home for 300 years or more of settlers and the garbage was thrown into the river to come to light later as the river changed and the shore line recieded .

Few if any bottles have tops, they were origionally cork, everything from bottles with Morphine to father Johns elixer on them.

Just what kind of bottles are you looking for, English glass works or local glass works??

One never knows what may be found when the tide goes out.     Biggest find I ever had was while walking the mud flats a crow came down and was pecking at something in the mud, I shooed it away and found a babys ring, cut in half with a real ruby-------wonder how the hell that got there.

Each turn of the tide there is a story we will never know.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »

I don't know much, I just know what I like.  I bet there are some good resources in Houston for you.  I know someone in Sugarland who is a collector of things, but not glassware.  I can ask if she has the name of anyone who would have some knowledge about it. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »
Thank you, Issa! I'm slowly figuring out what's what from books and Ebay. "Oh! I have that!" lol
    - Charlton Heston

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »
Thank you, Issa! I'm slowly figuring out what's what from books and Ebay. "Oh! I have that!" lol

Old American glass bottles made in the 1600-1700 for elixirs and portents are the most costly, forget the mass produced bottles and scavenge dumps and river banks where people disposed of their garbage.   Out house diggings is a new field for collectors, people 200 years ago dropped darn knows what down the  hole as they went about their business.     

Today people accidentally loose rings, or other jewelery into the city sewers, cell phones etc.

A small glass works from 200 years ago that now someone finds just one bottle intact, Big Money.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:51 PM »

AM, I talked to my buddy, who is going to talk to her buddy, and I may have some contact info for you soon.  I will keep you posted.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
I collect Waterford, and have some Baccarat and Lalique pieces.

Good place to check for resale prices is Replacements, Ltd.    www.replacements.com  They are a buy/sell place in Greensboro, NC.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
Old American glass bottles made in the 1600-1700 for elixirs and portents are the most costly, forget the mass produced bottles and scavenge dumps and river banks where people disposed of their garbage.   Out house diggings is a new field for collectors, people 200 years ago dropped darn knows what down the  hole as they went about their business.     

Today people accidentally loose rings, or other jewelery into the city sewers, cell phones etc.

A small glass works from 200 years ago that now someone finds just one bottle intact, Big Money.

I have some glassware Alpha, but only for the way it looks.  All old stuff.  All of it is utilitarian stuff (jars, etc), and was not for decorative purposes originally.   

On another note, I recently dug all of this stuff out from behind my brother's late 19th century home.  He originally thought it was a sinkhole, but I arrived with a shovel. :-)  This is the lion's share, although still more different colored bottles and stuff is not in the pictures.  Most are cork lid, or other strange attachments.  A few still had what is left of the lids intact, so I left them.  Most that have the lid are some sort of weird wire pinched contraption holding a (metal?) lid to the lip of the glass:

The light bulb is a GE MAZDA, which they quit manufacturing in 1945.  Sadly, it didn't work when I screwed it into a socket.  The porcelain adapter next to the bulb has the plug ends vertical to each other, not parallel.  I also found an old 1920s bicycle pedal, a rather large vacuum tube from the late 1920s, some old marbles, and other things not pictured. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »

Hmmm.

You might want to come up here to explore for things.

Some summers ago, when that student in prairie archeology was here, digging around, at the same time the student in soil science was analyzing the William Rivers Pitt, he was finding all sorts of things.

I still do; one time during this past summer, when idly kicking back a piece of dirt after I got out of the car, I uncovered a 1907 Indian Head cent.  The prairie archeologist of course had found much more, but there's probably much here left undiscovered.

This place from 1875 until about 1980 was a popular place for family picnics and reunions and events, given its setting, and people tend to drop or lose little things.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Hmmm.

You might want to come up here to explore for things.

Some summers ago, when that student in prairie archeology was here, digging around, at the same time the student in soil science was analyzing the William Rivers Pitt, he was finding all sorts of things.

I still do; one time during this past summer, when idly kicking back a piece of dirt after I got out of the car, I uncovered a 1907 Indian Head cent.  The prairie archeologist of course had found much more, but there's probably much here left undiscovered.

This place from 1875 until about 1980 was a popular place for family picnics and reunions and events, given its setting, and people tend to drop or lose little things.

I'm certainly no professional, I only claim to be careful where I put the shovel, so as to hopefully not break anything.  :-) 

Did anybody ever discover where the old wells, cisterns or outhouses are on the property?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »

On another note, I recently dug all of this stuff out from behind my brother's late 19th century home.  He originally thought it was a sinkhole, but I arrived with a shovel. :-)  This is the lion's share, although still more different colored bottles and stuff is not in the pictures.  Most are cork lid, or other strange attachments.  A few still had what is left of the lids intact, so I left them.  Most that have the lid are some sort of weird wire pinched contraption holding a (metal?) lid to the lip of the glass:

Oh that's awesome !

I collect bottles and various porcelain containers and such from the old times. I've been at it for the last 20 years and still don't have a collection like that. Granted I only collect what i harvest myself.

Nice haul though !

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
That MAZDA bulb might be worth something to someone.

In 1931, Toyo Kogyo introduced its first successful motor vehicle, the Mazda-GO DA Type truck -- a three-wheeled, cargo-carrying motorcycle, powered by a 500 cc (30 cu. in.) engine. The "Mazda" trade name, also used by General Electric for a brand of light bulbs, was selected primarily as an alternative transliteration of "Matsuda," but it also meant "wisdom" in the ancient Avestan language of the Zoroastrian religion, most commonly associated with the supreme Zoroastrian deity, Ahura Mazda.
Ate Up With Motor
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
Wikipedia says that GE still owns the rights to the MAZDA name when it deals with non-automotive items.  Neat.   :-)

I'm just amazed that it managed to stay intact.  It was under five feet of dirt, and bunches of bricks.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06:40 PM »
Copyright law is funny like that, especially when you get individual states and countries involved.  I think that's why Carl's Jr. is sold as Hardees in certain states and not nationally.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
My little sister buys glass collections, breaks them down, and sells them for a living.  I had no idea that there was such a market for old bottles, glassware, etc.

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
I've been selling antiques for 23 years, if you are wanting to get rid of it, I would suggest a reputable dealer in the area to take a look at it. Here in FL tag sales are a big thing, you can price things about 25-35% less than retail and sell them yourself. If you need help with identifying items just mesg me, ill be happy to help the best I can over the internet. As for replacements lmt. They have a great site to help with identification but I would go by their buying prices, they charge top end pricing because they are so specialized in replacement pieces, so they know their customers will pay top dollar to finish a set.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 04:00:39 AM »
I've decided to keep the crystal pieces. I gave half of the milk glass and Fenton to my s-i-l. I'll leave the rest packed up until I have more time (and space).

Thanks sondrab! The hardest part is figuring out the crystal patterns.

- Charlton Heston

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
I have a set of Lismore wines that I have been going to sell for years and still haven't gotten around to selling it. Have some old china sets too. One of these days, I will get over to replacements, ltd. Too expensive to ship over to them.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
I've decided to keep the crystal pieces. I gave half of the milk glass and Fenton to my s-i-l. I'll leave the rest packed up until I have more time (and space).

Thanks sondrab! The hardest part is figuring out the crystal patterns.

I use to have a lot of Fenton goblets but gave them to my step sister, they weren't my taste.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
I use to have a lot of Fenton goblets but gave them to my step sister, they weren't my taste.

There's just no way Fenton fits in with my Italian villa style. I'm going to paint my old maple hutch a rich Mediterranean blue to show off all of the crystal.
    - Charlton Heston

Offline sondrab

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
Fenton has never been my thing, to old fashion for my taste. But with them closing the factory if you held onto it for about 5 years the prices would be untouchable.... Depending on the economy. Right now its about 40% less than it was 5 years ago but, part of that is people came out if the woodwork with it when then announced the close.