Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 11655 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
:lol:  nah, it's a constant pain either sitting or standing.  If I am walkiing it seems to alleviate it.

Thor......20k units?  I thought 5k units was toxic?

NO, 5000 IUs is safe. 20,000 is max recommended dosage, but even that's debateable. Ask BEG. Her Dr had her on some 50K, if I recall.

Toxic doses

What exactly constitutes a toxic dose of vitamin D has yet to be determined, though it is possible this amount may vary with the individual.

Published cases of toxicity, for which serum levels and dose are known, all involve intake of ≥ 40000 IU (1000 mcg) per day. 1 Two different cases involved intake of over 2,000,000 IU per day - both men survived.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-toxicity/
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 05:32:54 AM »
I got a dr's appt moved up to this afternoon at 4pm so I will let yall know.  I really can't do anything "big" like the pain management until after Nov 29th when I get off probation at work.  But maybe they will give me something that can make it tolerable to work.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 06:12:17 AM »
Here's how I finally got extended pain relief from almost 30 years of suffering with two herniated discs in my lower back - a home traction unit. 

I went to five, count 'em five, pain docs and they all did injections and gave me hydrocodone.  The injections wore off by the time I'd get home and the hydrocodone helped a little.  The V.A. pushed for surgery which I refused.  Finally, after my third round of physical therapy the therapist put in the paperwork for a home traction unit.  My insurance company had spent a bundle on me by that time and plumping another $700 for the unit didn't seem to phase them.

This is a small portable unit that you put on a floor or bed and strap into.  The two pieces you lie on gently open the spine while you control the action with a handheld air pump.  I still use a little bit of hydrocodone now and then.  As long as I use the unit when the acute pain starts and keep using it for a few days or weeks.  I stores very easily and nothing like those old units that used to have to be attached to the end of a bed with water weights.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
hydrocodone is lortab isn't it?  I took 2 of them this morning but they make me sick to my stomach.  I am going to make sure I mention that.  I hope my other dr can get my xrays/report to the new dr this afternoon so they don't think I am pulling this crap out my ass. :panic:  wish me luck!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 07:04:30 AM »
Gina - after three to four years of pain, last November went in for the shots.  They can give you three in the series over a one year period.  Had x-rays and a scan, then they give you 'twi-light sleep' before injecting.  In my case he injected in three different places with the first of the series.  That was on a Wedsnesday, and as he said, I'd go home and sleep the rest of the day.  Woke up Thursday Pain Free - first time in years.  That first series is now starting to wear off, so I'll probably be heading in shortly for another round, this time without the trepidation of getting shots into the spine and surrounding areas.  For me they worked, but others I have talked to didn't have the same luck, but before I go through surgery, that was the only step left.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
Gina - after three to four years of pain, last November went in for the shots.  They can give you three in the series over a one year period.  Had x-rays and a scan, then they give you 'twi-light sleep' before injecting.  In my case he injected in three different places with the first of the series.  That was on a Wedsnesday, and as he said, I'd go home and sleep the rest of the day.  Woke up Thursday Pain Free - first time in years.  That first series is now starting to wear off, so I'll probably be heading in shortly for another round, this time without the trepidation of getting shots into the spine and surrounding areas.  For me they worked, but others I have talked to didn't have the same luck, but before I go through surgery, that was the only step left.

Yeah....as I mentioned up thread, my results were similar, although I didn't have the "twilight sleep" treatment......they just strapped me to a fluoroscopic table, gave me a couple of shots of lydocaine at the injection site, and went at it.  Following the injections I was placed in a chair for 30 minutes, and walked out.

All back problems are different, and respond differently to various types of treatment.......however, my best friend is a neurosurgeon, and he cautioned me that unless you are nearly permanently disabled with chronic pain to resist the surgery option, as he advised that regardless of what the surgeon tells you, you can expect a less than 50% success rate, and the downside is that depending on the diagnosis, the surgery can frequently leave you worse off than you were before.

I have had mixed results with Chiropractic......it has worked for me in a couple of cases where I was experiencing non-back related problems.......my neurosurgeon friend (gasp) even recommended it for a neck issue that he had treated me for a number of years ago.  Traction was the technique he recommended, however due to liability issues, few Chiropractors use it any more, I really had to look for one.......but it worked for me.  In the process I was subjected to the ultrasound, infrared deep heat, roller bed, and other inquisition methods unsuccessfully.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
I feel your pain, sista.

I have spondololysis/spondolothesis; SLIPPED VERTEBRAE.   Just came out of nowhere and didn't gradually appear.

This causes sciatic pain in the nerves in spinal column and makes my butt and back hamstrings ache when sitting.   My case is not severe enough for epidural shot for pain or surgery.   It is structural problem that some ordinary chiropracter can't fix.   I've had this crap for over a year and have been to physical therapy and have done stretches every day but without much luck.

Yeah, I have that; spondylolysthesis or however it's spelled.  I had always had an unpredictable twinge from it, like a spear of pain right in the spine while just standing once in a very great while, but it always went away...until about 8 years ago and I went into a stretch where it laid me out like a felled tree. 

Basically the muscle column along the spine was letting the vertebrae slip around too much at a highly-abused spot in the lumbar region which my misspent youth had probably caused, pinching a nerve.  Son of a bitch, that hurt.

Though I was getting plenty of PT at the time, it wasn't really what my back needed because it didn't involve enough twisting and torsion to make the muscle column strong in the right way to support the damaged bones.  After about eight weeks of physical therapy things got back to normal and I have been somewhat more cautious what I do with it since. 

Oh, and for a couple of weeks I was on Percocet which didn't impress me at all, and then on Vicodin 'As needed' for a few months (Scrip plus one refill lasted me quite awhile).  The Vicodin was very good for taking the edge off, you could still tell things hurt but it didn't matter nearly as much with it.  Can't say I see the attraction of either one as an illegal drug, they didn't make me high, just made the pain not matter much.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:38:44 AM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
hydrocodone is lortab isn't it?  I took 2 of them this morning but they make me sick to my stomach.  I am going to make sure I mention that.  I hope my other dr can get my xrays/report to the new dr this afternoon so they don't think I am pulling this crap out my ass. :panic:  wish me luck!

Just looked at my eyes and my pupils are tiny  :lmao:  I hope this shit wears off before I go to the dr at 4pm

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
Just looked at my eyes and my pupils are tiny  :lmao:  I hope this shit wears off before I go to the dr at 4pm

It takes about six hours.......but you DID say that you took two, and it further depends on what dosage (they come in 5, 7.5, and 10 mg)......assuming you didn't have a script for them, I wouldn't tell your doc that you took them.......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
Not gonna  :lmao:  I am such a druggie  :panic: 

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
No, because I have always heard from EVERYONE that even if they do relieve the pain you have to go and your kinda get addicted to going.  I don't know.  I might try it if my gp says to
I go at least 2 twice a month to my chiropractor for maintenance and that is down from 3 times a week. You might not get the quick pain relief you are looking for but a good chiropractor may be able to correct what has been causing the pain.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »

All back problems are different, and respond differently to various types of treatment.......however, my best friend is a neurosurgeon, and he cautioned me that unless you are nearly permanently disabled with chronic pain to resist the surgery option, as he advised that regardless of what the surgeon tells you, you can expect a less than 50% success rate, and the downside is that depending on the diagnosis, the surgery can frequently leave you worse off than you were before.

doc

I can attest to this. My first low back surgery really didn't do much for me. My cervical spine (neck) surgery hasn't done much for me, to date. I DID have a second lower back surgery, a fusion, that DID help to some extent.

Anyways, I was left with chronic sciatica from my low back surgeries. I'm telling y'all that the liquid Vit D3 has eliminated 95% of that pain. I took 20,000 IUs (10 drops) every day for two weeks. By the end of the first week, I was pain free in my lower back. I've since tapered off and don't take it as nearly as often as I should. However, now, if I take a dose or two, I'm back pain free in my lower back.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

Yep, it's known as Lortab or Vicodin or Norco depending on strength.  A lot of people have stomach or other issues with it.  I've never understood why someone would use it to get high since I've never felt anything other than pain relief from them.  Everyone's body is different.

Offline debk

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 03:29:13 PM »
Chiro made my neck worse. I know some people have great success with their treatments, but I wouldn't go back.

Make sure to tell your dr that this started in the hospital immediately after an epidural. He might also want you to see a neurologist....the needle could have hit something that it wasn't supposed to.  :( Since the only stuff that seems to be working is pain meds rather than muscle relaxants, it may be neural rather than muscular.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
Here is my back they just xrayed and I have a mri scheduled for tomorrow.  

I also got:

Percocet
Soma
Ultram

:stoner:

eta:  just noticed, good to know my iud is still in  :lmao:

Offline Delmar

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
I'll chime in with some advice too.  My back pain was similar, nearly unbearable except when moving.  What helped me was lots of walking.  After some setbacks, I decided to stop doing any stretches until I got a lot better(pain free)it helped me.  Stretches seemed to make it worse, walking kept me sufficiently loose, got blood flowing to the area.  And never bend over, even to pick up a sheet of paper.  I never felt as disheartened in my life as when I had low back pain, but I got better.  I wish you well.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Gina, Ultram is tramadol. You know that works for you, so there ya go.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
Here is my back they just xrayed and I have a mri scheduled for tomorrow.  

eta:  just noticed, good to know my iud is still in  :lmao:

That's good, because I was wondering if butt plugs were back in vogue again.....  :tongue:   :fuelfire:    :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
That's good, because I was wondering if butt plugs were back in vogue again.....  :tongue:   :fuelfire:    :-)

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!   IEDs!!!!!!!
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
Ultram doesn't work on me.  Like taking baby tylenol.  I was given that for kidney stones.

Soma is very good.  They make you feel like rubber for about 20 mins. but they work for hours without the feeling goofy and sleepy.  That drug helped me pass MANY kidney stones, BIG ones.  Highly addictive.  The Dr. only gave enough and that's all. 

Percocet gave me bad headaches when given for dental pain. Eat before you take it.  Your stomach will do hollow flips all day if you don't.

Hydrocodone makes my eyeballs itch and makes my breathing slow down.  But when you're in severe pain, like having 5 stones, you'll take anything. I don't care for that drug at all.  It wipes you out.

Having little ones ain't easy and being high won't help.  LOL, now if you were alone or had help, that would be okay. I do understand being in constant pain.  If only they made a drug that helped without making you high, that would be great.

If you want to go pill and addiction free, ask if a tens unit will help.  My husband swears by it.

Offline Firechild

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 03:32:46 AM »
Gina, i know this is probably the last thing you wanna read, but your stomach has everything to do with supporting your back.  I had back surgery at 18 years old, I had two herniated disks and was overweight.  The surgery was successful, but my doctor told me, to lose the ten pounds and start exercising regularly...OI can totally relate how painful this is to you :(

Hold in your lower abdomen as tight as you can while sitting...This takes a bit of effort, but you'll see amazing results without pain killers.  Sit up straight, tuck that tummy in...when it starts to bother you, get up and move around.

Delmar's correct, you must get the blood flowing to that area, it's being pinched.   You can also ice that area, but never put heat on it, you'd only be aggravating that problem.

Once you've gotten some management over this pain you can start doing some aerobic classes, perhaps 3x a week that include a lot of abs...it's the best thing I ever did for myself...I hope this info helps you hon...

I always chuckled and felt uncomfortable when I heard people say Liberalism is a mental disorder, but if it walks like a duck talks like a duck and acts like moron it is a moron.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 05:02:30 AM »
thanks firechild.......I already suck that stomach in.....I like to look hawt.all.the.tome  :naughty:

What is tens?

Took a soma only last night to see what it would do and don't know if it made me sleepy or I was just tired but I slept good that is until Victoria threw up at 3am. 

This morning I have taken a percocet only because I was hurting really bad standing up and putting my makeup on.  I know percocet won't make me sleepy, actually makes me pretty damn happy :hyper:

My goal is to be pain free and med free.  I have been on so many meds for pregnancies over the last 10 years that I hate to even take an aspirin now.  Sick of swallowing pills.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 06:36:48 AM »
http://www.tensunits.com/

My husband had numerous knee surgeries and shoulder surgery.  He had his bone in his shoulder shaved.  Very painful.  Your bones are not forgiving.

After each surgery he got pain pills and a tens unit.  The first day home, he refused the pills.  He hated how they made him feel.  That tens unit made the pain not only go away but helped in his recovery. He loved it.  He nearly cried when they took it back.  Insurance pays to rent it.  It's expensive to buy.

Ask your Dr. about it. 

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
Thanks!  waiting to call the dr.  It appears they have to get pre-authorization for this mri and they didn't  :hammer:

Offline Firechild

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 07:41:38 AM »
Good luck on that MRI Gina.  I was lookin' at that 10's unit; pretty awesome, but not as fun as the percs lol  :naughty:

I always chuckled and felt uncomfortable when I heard people say Liberalism is a mental disorder, but if it walks like a duck talks like a duck and acts like moron it is a moron.