Author Topic: A Taco Bell PAC Maxed Out Its Giving To The Trump Campaign  (Read 1296 times)

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
A Taco Bell PAC Maxed Out Its Giving To The Trump Campaign
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
Poor (D)Ummies.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12512396729
uppityperson (105,636 posts)

A Taco Bell PAC Maxed Out Its Giving To The Trump Campaign

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/food/trump-taco-bell-campaign-donation

In case you were wondering, there is a political action committee (PAC) for every interest group. Even those that aren’t that special. Case in point: TACO PAC is an organization which, according to a statement that greets you at taco-pac.com, “provides a way for individuals to join their contribution and voice with those of other Taco Bell Franchisees and supporters. Contributions are made to candidates who advocate and pursue governmental policies that promote a favorable business environment for the QSR industry in general and Taco Bell franchisees in particular.” And, apparently, Taco Bell Franchisees and supporters are super-into Republicans.

According to Open Secrets, the defenders of Fourth Meal have donated to campaigns as far back as 1998. And while they have always given more to Republicans than to Democrats, things became quite lopsided starting in 2010. That year coincided with both the Citizens United decision, which decimated campaign contribution limits, and the rise of the tea party. While one could argue this was a coincidence, that argument seems like it’s based on logic as authentic as the meat in a Crunch Wrap Supreme. In 2008 TACO PAC donated a total of $24,500 to political candidates—$20,000 to Republicans, $4,500 to Democrats. In 2010, in an off-year election no less, it donated a total of $299,250 to candidates—$293,250 to Republicans, $6,000 to Democrats. That’s a lot of money to protect America’s fast food tacos.

So far this year, TACO PAC has donated $53,625 to Republicans and $3,500 to Democrats. And while in absolute dollars it has only given the relatively small sum of $5,000 to Donald Trump’s campaign, that does place it in elite company: Only four other committees have donated that much to the campaign according Insidegov. That’s nice for Trump, especially considering he has shown clear preference for other fast food franchises.......

DURHAM D (23,778 posts)
1. I will donate by eating at my favorite Taco truck.

F Taco Bell - their food sucks and I never eat there.

JaneyVee (19,874 posts)
4. We've got to reign in Big Taco....

They are killing the small taco business.

Viva La Taco Truck!

GoDawgs (151 posts)
5. a company serving fake meat supports a candidate 'resurrecting' a fake America

This is why get my burrito carnitas con frijoles at La Montana (carniceria on hwy 92). Its basically a smoked pulled pork filled burrito. BBQ & burrito? USA! USA! USA! they scatter the pork on the grill too- does Tacobell even have a grill?

Everyone say it with me: fake bland(sic) monolithic corporations support fake blonde candidates who believe in fake mythological America!

I would really enjoy pushing your face into a sewer grate.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Delmar

Re: A Taco Bell PAC Maxed Out Its Giving To The Trump Campaign
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
¡Live mas!

That settles it, I'm going tomorrow.  Screw those crappy taco trucks.  Taco Bell for me.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:45:46 PM »
I'm sure all those TB franchisees would welcome a boycott by Progs. Look what it did for CfA!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »
¡Live mas!

That settles it, I'm going tomorrow.  Screw those crappy taco trucks.  Taco Bell for me.

I have a question, which might, or might not, be a really stupid one.

But it's an utterly serious question, and I don't know the answer.

It was about two years ago that all of these wheeled Mexican eateries started showing up in northeastern Nebraska, and they multiplied like rabbits.

Now, there's plenty of people of Texan derivation up here, so yeah, there's a market.

But it seems to me the market used to be adequately served by lots and lots of Mexican eateries based in buildings with foundations.  And despite this wheeled competition, those established Mexican eateries are still in business, and from what I can tell, thriving.

So.....what's going on here, that I'm not seeing?

<<<dines only in established businesses; wouldn't even patronize a hot dog cart in Central Park.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »

It was about two years ago that all of these wheeled Mexican eateries started showing up in northeastern Nebraska, and they multiplied like rabbits.

Now, there's plenty of people of Texan derivation up here, so yeah, there's a market.

But it seems to me the market used to be adequately served by lots and lots of Mexican eateries based in buildings with foundations.  And despite this wheeled competition, those established Mexican eateries are still in business, and from what I can tell, thriving.

<<<dines only in established businesses; wouldn't even patronize a hot dog cart in Central Park.

I like the taco trucks. One of our local trucks offers the owner's abuela's (grandma's) tamales.

It's a good way to get fresh-cooked food at decent prices.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 10:01:27 PM »
I like the taco trucks. One of our local trucks offers the owner's abuela's (grandma's) tamales.

It's a good way to get fresh-cooked food at decent prices.

But I myself have always gotten fresh-cooked food at decent prices in brick-and-mortar Mexican restaurants too.

I just don't see the point of standing outside a big converted motor-home reeking of diesel fumes, and while standing there trying to eat, getting aerially-attacked by flying insects.  I'd just as soon be inside a place where it smells nice, where it's air-conditioned, and where flies and mosquitos aren't allowed in.

To each his own, of course, but.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
But I myself have always gotten fresh-cooked food at decent prices in brick-and-mortar Mexican restaurants too.

I just don't see the point of standing outside a big converted motor-home reeking of diesel fumes, and while standing there trying to eat, getting aerially-attacked by flying insects.  I'd just as soon be inside a place where it smells nice, where it's air-conditioned, and where flies and mosquitos aren't allowed in.

To each his own, of course, but.....

From a business standpoint, food trucks have lower overhead and can be moved to high traffic areas. Also, I buy the food and eat at work or home. No need to stand outside.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 09:50:11 PM »

I think it is more along the lines of the portable food trucks can take the restaurant to the place where the people are and serve them in a short amount of time.  For the owner: Don't cost much, no property taxes per se, you can probably make some good money in a short amount of time and still have time to work another job later in the day.   For the customer:  they can walk a short distance, get their noon grub and be back to their job in short order.

For those who only get a half hour for lunch, I think it is a good deal.  Especially in certain locations.

Just speculating here, Frank.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:03 AM »

The shorter the lunch break, the sooner the day ends.  Construction workers don't like to go somewhere to get lunch and a cold brown bag isn't part of the Mexican way of work (In much of Mexico there is a small taco stand on almost every corner -- sometimes 2 or 3).
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.